Looking for an MPEG cutting/editing tool.

Aunty Em

I am in desperate need of an editor/cutting tool for cutting large MPEG1 and 2 files for putting onto disc, preferably as playable VCDs. The one I have can't seem to handle the size of some of the files I'm using. Can anyone recommend one that works for most mpeg formats and which isn't too expensive.

RD_151

Here is a decent list of software that might help.

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/index3.html#editing

I haven't had to cut or join any mpeg files yet, sorry. I use virtualdub to do this with .avi and divx files, but I'm not sure if it would work with mpeg I or II, maybe I don't see why not. I'm not that familiar with video editiing, sorry. I'm sure something from the link above will do the trick though.

Aunty Em

RD_151 said:
Here is a decent list of software that might help.

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/index3.html#editing

I haven't had to cut or join any mpeg files yet, sorry. I use virtualdub to do this with .avi and divx files, but I'm not sure if it would work with mpeg I or II, maybe I don't see why not. I'm not that familiar with video editiing, sorry. I'm sure something from the link above will do the trick though.

Thanks for the site. I solved my immediate problem without needing to cut in the end - basically I went back a couple of steps to DVD2AVI and converting the vob files. I just converted the first 4 together and then the last 3 and coded them as separate mpeg files - result 2 files I of 66 mins and 1 of 46 mins, so they fit on 2 vcds no problem. Just takes a little lateral thinking. Takes a little longer to do but the quality is pretty good.

Of course I still need to solve the cutting problem for my own files, but I suspect there is a limitation on how big a file you can cut with the free version of TMPGEnc so unless I can find something else I'll probably have to buy the plus version. The possibilities with DivX look interesting too.