Luis G!!!!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
So, first hand, how bad is the swine flu really? Are a lot of people sick? Has daily life changed at all because of people trying to avoid becoming sick?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I haven't seen any people sick, my state still has no confirmed cases and just last night there were the first probable cases. It took longer than I expected, given the traffic between Mexico City and Morelia we should be having the same amount of cases, fortunately we aren't.

Daily life has changed a lot I'd say, only a few (if any) are going out to places where there are a bunch of people (cinemas, restaurants, etc). This is already hurting sales and small business, some might even bankrupt because they can't afford the pay roll and the bills. Some restaurants are only taking orders to go, and others are only accepting orders by telephone and delivered to homes.

By federal orders schools and nurseries, both public and private, are closed, meaning that parents that have jobs must now take care of their children or find other ways to have them taken cared of.

Also, all mass public events are canceled for the mean time. All football games are being played at 'closed-door'.

A few days ago we went out for groceries and I noticed many people stocking up, to be honest we also got a bit more than we needed, just to avoid public spaces except when needed.

Most people out there are wearing masks, I almost felt like a foreigner for not having one, but so long as I don't get too close to people and avoid touching my face while I'm out I should be fine. Weather is not helping either, it's been getting hotter and hotter each day and that makes the situations a lot worse.

chcr

Too cute for words
I haven't seen any people sick, my state still has no confirmed cases and just last night there were the first probable cases. It took longer than I expected, given the traffic between Mexico City and Morelia we should be having the same amount of cases, fortunately we aren't.

Daily life has changed a lot I'd say, only a few (if any) are going out to places where there are a bunch of people (cinemas, restaurants, etc). This is already hurting sales and small business, some might even bankrupt because they can't afford the pay roll and the bills. Some restaurants are only taking orders to go, and others are only accepting orders by telephone and delivered to homes.

By federal orders schools and nurseries, both public and private, are closed, meaning that parents that have jobs must now take care of their children or find other ways to have them taken cared of.

Also, all mass public events are canceled for the mean time. All football games are being played at 'closed-door'.

A few days ago we went out for groceries and I noticed many people stocking up, to be honest we also got a bit more than we needed, just to avoid public spaces except when needed.

Most people out there are wearing masks, I almost felt like a foreigner for not having one, but so long as I don't get too close to people and avoid touching my face while I'm out I should be fine. Weather is not helping either, it's been getting hotter and hotter each day and that makes the situations a lot worse.
Keep us posted as you find it convenient if you can Luis. It's kind of a curse to live in interesting times, isn't it? I'll be interested to see how it plays out. I'll be thinking about you.

Inkara1

I thought you didn't have internet access at home (and you work at a school, which is now closed, right?). Do you have internet at home now?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well, I'm glad to hear your state hasn't been affected like Mexico city has. A lot of travel to Mexico, at least from Canada, seems to have been cancelled. I remember how Toronto was hit in the SARS outbreak and I'm sure Mexico relies on tourism more than Toronto. I'll also be thinking of you.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I'm glad things are so far so good. *knocks wood*

And even though the economy might seem to be real bad, hopefully it won't be the tragedy it seems like right now. Things bounced back after SARS pretty fast. People forget quickly, and not everyone is paranoidfreakingout about all of this stuff.

I saw someone who I don't remember who it was saying the other day "Don't put your fingers into any orifice unless you've washed them!". Good advice right there.

Sharky

Luis, I've been watching to see if Morelia was mentioned in the news stories, and glad to see that so far it hasn't been. Take care and good luck to you, your family, and your town.

Luis G

Staff member
I thought you didn't have internet access at home (and you work at a school, which is now closed, right?). Do you have internet at home now?

Yes, I forgot to mention that. We got telephone/DSL in the first days of April.

Well, I'm glad to hear your state hasn't been affected like Mexico city has. A lot of travel to Mexico, at least from Canada, seems to have been cancelled. I remember how Toronto was hit in the SARS outbreak and I'm sure Mexico relies on tourism more than Toronto. I'll also be thinking of you.

I don't know how it compares, but I do know that tourism is the main source of income for many people. And knowing how poor management of the money most families have, I doubt they have enough money to live for a week without an income.

Luis, I've been watching to see if Morelia was mentioned in the news stories, and glad to see that so far it hasn't been. Take care and good luck to you, your family, and your town.

We may not hear from Luis for a bit. I hear Mexico is closed until Tuesday.

So far there haven't been any confirmed cases of swine influenza in the whole state. The only confirmed cases are of Influenza A but that's not swine flu.

The country will not be closed except for non-essential activities.

I'm glad things are so far so good. *knocks wood*

And even though the economy might seem to be real bad, hopefully it won't be the tragedy it seems like right now. Things bounced back after SARS pretty fast. People forget quickly, and not everyone is paranoidfreakingout about all of this stuff.

I saw someone who I don't remember who it was saying the other day "Don't put your fingers into any orifice unless you've washed them!". Good advice right there.

Yes, people tend to forget quickly, as soon as the news stop publishing about the risks people will forget and move on with their lives.

re on the advice, yeah that's good advice, specially on certain orifices.

Luis G

Staff member
As expected, things are getting back to normal because mass media has been publishing since a couple of days a stabilization phase of the spread.

The day before yesterday we went to Costco and Sam's, there was plenty of people but neither store was packed like most weekends.

Schools are opening again on the 6th, I expect a small surge in cases because of that and probably they will be shut down again until the 11th.