Luis is back online

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Justintime said:
just changed the heatsink to a Zalman, quiet! :D

which zalman did you get? i have a 5xxx series unit that is quiet but i've never been very impressed with it's performance, especially for the price.

Inkara1

I was putting an old K6-2/300@333MHz system back togehter to give to my brother-in-law so he'd have a computer. I turned it on for the first time in probably a month or two, and the circa-1999 235W power supply went POW! and a big cloud of dust came out the back through the fan. So, I immediately shut it off. I then took the lid off the PSU and looked around, and couldn't find anything wrong. So, I put it back, plugged it in and everything worked fine. But I ran into some issues getting it to boot, so I just let the thing sit until I had some extra time.

So, after it sitting for a few weeks, I plugged it in, turned it in, and--you guessed it--I heard a POW! and a cloud of dust came out the back. I took the PSU out and took off the lid again, and nothing caught my eye as being burned or anything. But I found the cover to a capacitor on the floor, which I'm guessing fell out of the PSU when I opened it. I looked harder inside the PSU this time, and when I looked close enough I could see two capacitors missing the covers. So since I didn't want his computer to have a PSU that kept blowing up capacitors, I went to CompUSA to try to find a cheap PSU to stick in there. I found I could get a 250W for $28, or a 400W for $30 on sale. So, I grabbed the 400W, put that in my T-Bird 1.2 system and put the 300W Deer PSU I had in there before into the system I was putting together.

So now the power supply has almost as many watts as the CPU has MHz, and it'd have a watts/MHz ratio of 1:1 if I hadn't figured out how to do a modest overclocking job with a cheap motherboard, a K6-2/300 and a heatsink/fan off a Pentium 166 non-MMX.