More people approve than disapprove of healthcare passage

spike

An example Congress doing what their constituents want.

PRINCETON, N.J., March 23 (UPI) -- Almost half of Americans surveyed after Congress passed healthcare reform legislation said they approved of the bill, a USA Today/Gallup poll indicated.

The poll released Tuesday found 49 percent called the legislation "a good thing" while 40 percent said it was "a bad thing," Gallup said. Independents were evenly split while Republicans overwhelmingly said they oppose the legislation and Democrats overwhelmingly favored it.

"Passage of healthcare reform was a clear political victory for President Obama and his allies in Congress," Gallup said on its Web site. "While it also pleases most of his Democratic base nationwide, it is met with greater ambivalence among independents and with considerable antipathy among Republicans."

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/03/23/Gallup-US-OKs-healthcare-bill/UPI-40611269389663/

I've been saying all along that Reps were reading polls misleadingly.

This supports findings by earlier polls that out of those that opposed the bill 13% thought it wasn't liberal enough (like me) but are happy that the current bill passed.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/22/rel5a.pdf

This is a triumph for representative democracy unlike the Iraq war when republicans constantly just dismissed poll after poll saying Americans wanted us out of Iraq.

Inkara1

Did you see George Skelton's piece in the LA Times about how California's extra costs because of this bill look to be $2 billion to $3 billion? Meanwhile, school districts statewide are pink-slipping teachers by the truckload because the state doesn't have any money, and the state had been trying to cut Medi-Cal costs but will now have to expand it a bunch. One interesting thing is that the $2 billion to $3 billion estimate from the state is actually $1 billion less than the amount calculated in December for the Senate's bill. You'd think Feinstein and Boxer would know that their home state has no money but they both voted for the bill, even with the December estimate of $3 billion to $4 billion in new costs to California.

ResearchMonkey

I've been saying all along that Reps were reading polls misleadingly.
1268594577776.jpg

spike

So again, what you need to know is how many weren't in favor because it wasn't liberal enough or because it didn't include the public option.

Or a number of polls that just ask "are you happy the healthcare bill passed" like my original poll.

I do still find it interesting that you care about the polls now though as opposed to all the Iraq war polls.

spike

Did you see George Skelton's piece in the LA Times about how California's extra costs because of this bill look to be $2 billion to $3 billion?

Hadn't seen that one. I'd like to see the official numbers.

This would certainly help:

Could marijuana be the answer to the economic misery facing California? Democratic state assemblyman Tom Ammiano thinks so. Ammiano introduced legislation last month that would legalize pot and allow the state to regulate and tax its sale — a move that could mean billions of dollars for the cash-strapped state. Pot is, after all, California's biggest cash crop, responsible for $14 billion a year in sales, dwarfing the state's second largest agricultural commodity — milk and cream — which brings in $7.3 billion a year, according to the most recent USDA statistics. The state's tax collectors estimate the bill would bring in about $1.3 billion a year in much needed revenue, offsetting some of the billions of dollars in service cuts and spending reductions outlined in the recently approved state budget.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1884956,00.html

Cerise

Or a number of polls that just ask "are you happy the healthcare bill passed" like my original poll.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1295.xml?ReleaseID=1437

March 25, 2010 - Obama Gets Small Bounce From Health Care Win, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; Net Disapproval Of Health Reform Drops 9 Points

American voters mostly disapprove of the health care reform 49 - 40 percent, compared to 54 - 36 percent before the vote.

spike

American voters mostly disapprove of the health care reform 49 - 40 percent, compared to 54 - 36 percent before the vote.

Again, how many disapprove because it's not liberal enough or because it lacks the public option?

Quinnipac's approval is off from Gallup.

"Pres. Obama's approval rating has rebounded in Gallup's daily tracking poll, with the first survey conducted entirely after the House passed health care legislation showing that 51% of Americans approve of his job performance while 42% disapprove."

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2010/03/obama_approval.php

spike

Shit, I have no reason to be disappointed. Republicans threw all the fear mongering they could muster at a healthcare bill very similar to what they had proposed before and it didn't work. America is better for it and most Americans recognize it.

The Republicans have to be disappointed that they can't rely on irrational fear anymore as policy and are actually going to have to discuss things rationally for their party to move forward. They did have a good run with the fear-as-policy thing but it's over.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I do still find it interesting that you care about the polls now though as opposed to all the Iraq war polls.

I still have no ues for them. However, to counterbalance the obvious confusion you have about this issue, I thought I'd provide you with lots of polling.

spike

I still have no ues for them.

What? You had a use to claim we are "no longer a Representative Republic":

"A majority of Americans are opposed to this healthcare bill.

Congress went against their constituents, repeatedly, and passed it anyway.

So, since we are clearly no longer a Representative Republic, what is the proper description for our system of government in 2010?"

That's a huge claim to make from some polls you have no use for. When the our involvement in the Iraq debacle was going on poll after poll showed Americans against it for years but you didn't make this kind of claim.

Regardless more Americans are happy this passed and a good sized portion that were against the bill thought it wasn't liberal enough because there was no public option.