Music Theory???

IDLEchild

This may or may not have been mentioned before but I want an answer to this.

Why is term Music theory have the word theory in it?

We know it works, how it works, why it works and the fact that great music exists is because it works. So why not give music knowledge it's props for being so awesome and give it a more honest name.

Any suggestions?

Music facts

The way of the music

The Force?

That shit you didn't understand in Junior High school (Too long perhaps?)

Music manifesto

Music reasoning

Music concept

2minkey

bootlicker
"music knowledge?" what's that?

do we see it when someone is able to name all the songs on led zeppelin IV?

perhaps someone that is able to play a 1-4-5 blues has "music knowledge" but they may not - likely do not - understand the generally accepted rules for constructing four part (SATB) vocal arrangements, the latter stemming from "theory?"

what do you think "theory" means? (i'm not trying to be clever, i'm really asking.)

chcr

Too cute for words
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_theory

I think that you'll find that your question really has less to do with music theory than it does with understanding the definition of "theory."

the·o·ry

1: the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another
2: abstract thought : speculation
3: the general or abstract principles of a body of fact, a science, or an art <music theory>
4 a: a belief, policy, or procedure proposed or followed as the basis of action <her method is based on the theory that all children want to learn> b: an ideal or hypothetical set of facts, principles, or circumstances —often used in the phrase in theory<in theory, we have always advocated freedom for all>
5: a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena <the wave theory of light>
6 a: a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation b: an unproved assumption : conjecture c: a body of theorems presenting a concise systematic view of a subject <theory of equations>

[Rant]Most people (in my experience at least) seem to think an incomplete understanding of number six is the definition of a theory (I have a "theory" that teenagers act the way they do so that, when they finally move out, you won't be so sad to see them go) when that is in fact probably the least common usage.[/Rant]

Hope that helps. BTW, a complete understanding of music theory is hardly necessary to play passable guitar but a moderate understanding sure helps. :grinyes:

2minkey

bootlicker
yeah i needed it big time, since i'm a very, very unnatural musician and had to take a "brain it" approach. i really have no business making music. it's fun because it's just so awkward for me.

IDLEchild

Clearly my joke did not get across as I intended. Further proof that my career option as a stand up comic have no legs.