My new computer...

Gato_Solo said:
I've got data on the old drive. :shrug: Just a simple transfer.
I used to do all my hdd upgrades that way. Now I've got this USB 2.0 drive enclosure that makes it even easier.

ya when I upgrade my computer, i usually do it one piece at a time to 'lessen the blow'. To be honest I don't know the specs of my home PC anymore.

Well...considering that I was using WIN98SE, and had a 'legacy' motherboard, I would've had to replace the O/S, the MB, the memory, and the CPU at the same time.

Gato_Solo said:
Well...considering that I was using WIN98SE, and had a 'legacy' motherboard, I would've had to replace the O/S, the MB, the memory, and the CPU at the same time.
I upgraded Dara's a while back and played hell finding a PCI SCSI card that would work with her Scanjet 5pse (came with an ISA card). Of course, when I upgraded her to XP, it doesn't support that scanner at all. Linux does though. ;)

Gato_Solo said:

yeah that gets pricey very quick-like.

you PAY for an O/S???

rrfield said:
yeah that gets pricey very quick-like.

you PAY for an O/S???

Sometimes. I'd have to replace the MB regardless, as it had an ISA slot. I have a copy of WIN2000, but that's no longer supported, either. I figured to just bite the bullet, and, if upgrades are needed again, all I'll need is a MB to get out of COMPAQ's clutches. ;)

Gato_Solo said:
Sometimes. I'd have to replace the MB regardless, as it had an ISA slot. I have a copy of WIN2000, but that's no longer supported, either. I figured to just bite the bullet, and, if upgrades are needed again, all I'll need is a MB to get out of COMPAQ's clutches. ;)

Careful of size constraints in such a swap. Those are rarely standard sized mainboards. In the past I upgraded a number of Compaqs. You could usually get a micro-ATX to fit (not always) but a PCI, AMR or even an AGP slot could be blocked off. I never worked on one that a standard ATX board would fit in. Not something you have to worry about in the near term, but something to be aware of. OTOH, cases aren't really all that expensive...

n7ibp.jpg

chcr said:
Careful of size constraints in such a swap. Those are rarely standard sized mainboards. In the past I upgraded a number of Compaqs. You could usually get a micro-ATX to fit (not always) but a PCI, AMR or even an AGP slot could be blocked off. I never worked on one that a standard ATX board would fit in. Not something you have to worry about in the near term, but something to be aware of. OTOH, cases aren't really all that expensive...

Another reason why I kept my old system...

Back