Need a little help

simplyred

Hi all! I need a little help with a few food ideas for my grandfather. He has terminal recurring colon cancer. He is doing extremely well considering 8 weeks ago he was sent home from the hospital and we were told that we would be lucky for two weeks. His taste buds change daily, and while he still wants to eat little appeals to him. I prepare most of his meals, and I am stumped for new food choices to offer him. He wants to eat soft things, NO MEAT, NO red sauces, sometimes he wants salty stuff, and sometimes bland. He has enjoyed pudding, soups, smoothies, yogurt, pasta, grilled cheese sandwiches.... often he drinks an Ensure type of drink just to get nutrition when nothing sounds good.

Anyone have any good ideas? I know he would be so happy if I walked in his room and offered him a NEW food choice! Thanks so much!

PS I will likely need a recipe

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Have you made him stuffed pasta? Cheese filled tortellini with an alfredo sauce maybe?

I am very fond of yams lately. They are so sweet and good and when baked they're nice and soft.

Have you tried perogies? They get crispy if fried but if you just boil them they're pretty soft, and you can get the ones that are just potato and cheese so there's no chunks in them.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Speaking from my own experience...

Avoid anything complicated. His system isn't up to it. I ate a lot of macaroni cooked with tomato juice. Add salt as desired. Canned tomatoes may be cooked with it but I dislike the pulp so just the juice is fine with me. Unless tomato juice is considered a red sauce...dunno if you mean cajun or just anything red.

The Lipton fettucinni alfredo packets are tolerable.

Have you tried any of the flavored rice packets? And I DO NOT mean Ramen. I'd starve first.

I personally preferred Boost over Ensure. Tastes better. Then again, so does pond mud...

The freezer section could be your friend. Lots of smaller portion size things there and it allows for variety. None of it is gonna win any Paula Deen awards, but...

catocom

sounds like when my dad was on chemo.

He often liked just penutbutter and Ritz.

Sometimes Oatmeal, and with different amounts of sugar,
so it was a time by time amount of the sugar he wanted.
(so if He can add the sugar all the better)
edit: oh, and he was a little particular, he liked the oatmeal that said "toasted oats" on it.

I personally preferred Boost over Ensure.

my dad liked it better too, and in most places it's more economical too.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
*ding*

Tried a fresh fruit salad? 'Nanners, apples, pears, peaches, Mandarin oranges, pineapple, raisins, maybe some strawberries or walnuts or whatever he likes and can tolerate, mixed with sour cream and a little Cool Whip and chilled. Keeps for a day or three pretty well. Gets pricey if you do it a lot, but as a treat or diversion it might be worth it.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
sounds like when my dad was on chemo.

He often liked just penutbutter and Ritz.

Sometimes Oatmeal, and with different amounts of sugar,
so it was a time by time amount of the sugar he wanted.
(so if He can add the sugar all the better)
edit: oh, and he was a little particular, he liked the oatmeal that said "toasted oats" on it.

my dad liked it better too, and in most places it's more economical too.

Whereas when my dad was on chemo and lost his appetite he prefered lobster...or hamburgers. I think over the course of 11 months he had 4 or 5 lobster dinners (friends and family used to slip my mom $40 and say "For the next time he wants lobster"...because with him not working we obviously couldn't afford it).

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Every chemo is different. I was told I would likely crave two things, but they didn't tell me what they were...wanted to see if I followed the pattern I guess.

I craved spaghetti. They grinned and nodded. I also craved fish. More grinning and nodding. But I also craved barbecue. That puzzled them...said they'd never heard that one. I also lost my taste for onions entirely.

catocom

I never had chemo, but lost the taste for most onions several years ago.
Used to be when you bought Valida, you got Valida. They aren't the same now.

Most have an after taste like a dumpster/garbage truck smells.

very few are mild enough for me anymore.

I may try some green onions in the garden myself this year, and see how they come out.

simplyred

Great ideas! Thanks. This, however, has been different than when he was on chemo. He doesn't have toxic chemicals effecting his taste buds...instead his body is shutting down. Yes SNP ANYTHING RED! I made him a veggie soup the other day, which I make with tomato juice. Cat, the oatmeal was a great idea, and just like your father it depends on the day as to how much sugar.

I liked the idea of fruit salad, but instead of making it a salad I offered him the fruit one by one. The cancer has taken over his colon and intestines, so he often avoids things that will irritate this. He really really enjoyed the cantaloupe! I scooped it into little balls and then put them in the freezer for a few minutes. He loved it! Tonight he really enjoyed a plain baked potato with a small amount of butter and salt.

I appreciate the ideas!

BeardofPants

I'm sorry about the cancer thing - that sucks. :(

What about things like pizza? Not those ghastly cheesey things, but something like a margarita (sp?)? That has tomatoes & shit on it.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
How about some soft (not overly browned) biscuits with maybe some apple butter or jelly he likes on them? Is he up to simple French toast? You can leave off the syrup, powdered sugar, or anything his system can't handle, but that's fairly soft and has some nutrition.

AVOID CORN LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!

Sending some strength your and his way. I know this is unspeakably difficult.

simplyred

How about some soft (not overly browned) biscuits with maybe some apple butter or jelly he likes on them? Is he up to simple French toast? You can leave off the syrup, powdered sugar, or anything his system can't handle, but that's fairly soft and has some nutrition.

AVOID CORN LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!

Sending some strength your and his way. I know this is unspeakably difficult.

It is. Thanks!
The biscuits made for a really good dinner tonight. We have some that stay in the fridge, so when you bake them they are really soft like KFC. He is diabetic and stays away from sugar (I think the cancer has now taken over his pancreas bc his sugars are skyrocketing.) I got some Smuckers blueberry sugar free jelly at Walmart and he LOVED it!! He says he'd like that with just butter in the morning for breakfast! Oh thanks! He lit up like a Christmas tree at this food offering :)

simplyred

I'm sorry about the cancer thing - that sucks. :(

What about things like pizza? Not those ghastly cheesey things, but something like a margarita (sp?)? That has tomatoes & shit on it.

I don't think I understand what you mean. No tomatoes though. He won't go near them.

Slim made him a pizza that was with a garlic butter sauce rather than tomato. He only topped it with mushrooms, and some light cheese. He didn't eat it.