Need a new car

Winky

Davey

Why not go test drive the
Ford Focus C-Max MK-II with the
turbocharged and direct injected 1.6 L I4 EcoBoost engine?

Dave

This the one you're talking about?
showimage.php

valkyrie

How many miles have you put on it?
Any major issues you've had to deal with?

I'll probably be buying a 2010 model as that is what Ford is offering 0% financing on. Seeing as I'll be dealing with "leftovers", probably won't be able to find a stripped down one. All thats left are the $32k+ versions.

The '11s aren't even on the lots yet.
I drive the shit out of that Ford Escape Hybrid. I've put about 80K miles on it so far. It definitely takes the beating of my dirt (and rock) road. It's front wheel drive and I've replaced all the tires once and the front tires once (6 tires since buying it) with All Terrain tires (Michelin's).

Major problems? Both TSB's have been taken care of...
http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/...ileage=80,000&zip=78620&type=tsb&serviceType=
There are no recalls for this vehicle for that year.
I take it in for the normal oil change and other maintenance, including changing the air filter for the high-voltage batteries in the back.

Even if you find that what you want is not on the lot you can still get what you want. Don't bother to look around the lot with the salesperson. Tell them flat out what you're looking for and ask them if they have that. You can test drive something similar but after the test drive ask them if they can get you what you really want. If they can't, tell them "thank you for your time, if you come across what I'm looking for then give me a call." You will get a call within a week, I guarantee you.

Edmunds has info on how to negotiate. I'm not sure where it says this but I have heard that you should shop for a car at the last half of the month. Salespeople are more willing to negotiate the price to make their quota.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Edmunds has info on how to negotiate. I'm not sure where it says this but I have heard that you should shop for a car at the last half of the month. Salespeople are more willing to negotiate the price to make their quota.

That's not always true, I bought my car on May 30 or 31 in 2006 and the first salesman I tried to buy it from wasn't willing to negotiate at all. I then went to another dealership and bought the same car for exactly what I wanted to pay.

My advice is don't be afraid to walk out and go to a dealer for the same car across town.

Altron

That's not always true, I bought my car on May 30 or 31 in 2006 and the first salesman I tried to buy it from wasn't willing to negotiate at all. I then went to another dealership and bought the same car for exactly what I wanted to pay.

My advice is don't be afraid to walk out and go to a dealer for the same car across town.

Probably because of your age and gender. They probably think that it will be easier for them to take advantage of you, since it may be your first time buying a new car.

That's a good point about making them get one specifically. I went car shopping with my grandpa, and the car we were looking at had an all wheel drive version, and a rear wheel drive version, with a $1800 price difference. My grandpa is 78 years old. When the weather is shitty and AWD would help, he's sitting at home with my grandma reading a book. He doesn't have any desire to drive in poor weather. So the dealer told us the only cars they had in the area were AWD. I don't remember the exact numbers, but eventually we were able to talk him down to giving us the AWD version for the same price as the RWD version, and having one transferred from another state in the color combination my grandma liked (tan leather inside and light blue outside), and making sure that the $3000 navigation package was removed as well. It wasn't easy, though - we did have to play that whole ex-girlfriend game of making a demand, leaving, and then waiting a couple days for him to call, instead of calling him.

Dave

I was going to go look at cars before work tomorrow but instead I have to go to the tire shop for a replacement. Found a large nail in the sidewall of one tire. grrrr....

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Honda? What about Government Motors? Obama will be disappointed in you.

FluerVanderloo

If you want mileage, get a Mini. I've heard fantastic things about their 2011 model as far as gas mileage.

Otherwise, I have a 2006 Corolla (which I love) and I average about 32 MPG, mostly highway, albeit DC Metro traffic. I drive 60 miles a day, 5 days a week.

valkyrie

Heh... I found out that Ford increased the base price for the Ford Escape Hybrid. I paid $23K for mine in 2007. Now it's $30K, but that might be a negotiable price.

GrandCaravanSE

If your still looking for a new car, don't get a car, get a Truck, I beat the heck out of my Ford Ranger, I only have to put oil and gas in to it.

Dave

I have a 99 Ranger with 137K on it as a second vehicle. Runs great but is rotting away under the bed.