Neighbor/lawn issue

spike

My next door neighbor sprayed weed killer (Roundup) on a section of my lawn where I was planning on planting some things.

I'm not sure how long this stuff stays in the soil or if I'll be able to plant anything soon. Anyone have experience with this?

It was a dick move and I'm thinking possibly illegal. I told him to let me deal with my lawn myself in the future.

ResearchMonkey

RU works by being absorbed into the leaf cells and then being passed down to the roots with the *sugars* -- it then kills the roots, plant dead.

Just water the ground well for a few days, filtering the chemicals down and they will brake down rather quickly.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Assuming he didn't use "Extended Use", it'll be safe in 24 hours.

I was looking for an herbicide that had no residual effects & Round-Up was it.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
You guys are still allowed to use that sort of thing? Dandelions are rampant here this year because basically all chemical lawn treatments are banned and absolutely ALL chemical treatments for aesthetic reasons are banned. I hear there is supposed to be a new product out later this month, I'm excited. My neighbour's lawn is the only pristine lawn on the street, I'm sure he's spraying it with some sort of banned substance after night fall or something. I hate that his pristine lawn makes me feel bad about my lawn...even though there is nothing legal I can do to get rid of all the weeds...*sigh*

catocom

I think RM, and Gonz covered it.

man that's the best stuff for kudzu, and poison oak/ivy.
That reminds me...I got a couple of spots I need to hit soon.

valkyrie

You guys are still allowed to use that sort of thing? Dandelions are rampant here this year because basically all chemical lawn treatments are banned and absolutely ALL chemical treatments for aesthetic reasons are banned. I hear there is supposed to be a new product out later this month, I'm excited. My neighbour's lawn is the only pristine lawn on the street, I'm sure he's spraying it with some sort of banned substance after night fall or something. I hate that his pristine lawn makes me feel bad about my lawn...even though there is nothing legal I can do to get rid of all the weeds...*sigh*
I didn't know it was banned anywhere!

Sounds like you have "lawn-envy." :lol:

I'm so glad I don't live in a subdivision anymore. :bgtup: I don't have to deal with this sort of thing.

spike

Just water the ground well for a few days, filtering the chemicals down and they will brake down rather quickly.

Gonz said:
Assuming he didn't use "Extended Use", it'll be safe in 24 hours.

I was looking for an herbicide that had no residual effects & Round-Up was it.

That's good news. Thanks!

That lets me feel a little less animosity towards this guy. He's a retired guy that lives by himself. I have an easement for my driveway that wraps around his house. He tries to control who is allowed to come up my driveway. He questions people that park on the street and don't come up the driveway.

Weed killing a little swath of my lawn looks like another power grab attempt to me at this point.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
valkyrie:The use of the chemicals is banned throughout the entire province, not just in the city or subdivision... Oh, and no lawn envy...I am just trying to make sure that I start off on the right foot with my neighbours and I sometimes get the impression this guy is judging me/angry with me for the way my lawn looks. Like he expects I should have a lawn that looks as good as his (which at this time would involve breaking the law). I'm not too fussed about the lawn myself, I am just angry that he is likely breaking the law and then being angry at me for not doing so.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Nix...retire, then you too can spend all day piddling around your yard, pulling weeds by the root & in a couple of years, it'll be an outstanding yard.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Nix...retire, then you too can spend all day piddling around your yard, pulling weeds by the root & in a couple of years, it'll be an outstanding yard.

hahahah!

I just bought my mom a weeder that you can use standing up as part of her mother's day gift. She is not retired but has been talking about how she wants one for awhile now. Maybe if it works I'll get one too...it'll be an excuse to be outside on beautiful sunny weekends.

MrBishop

Nix... in Quebec, it's the wide-use herbicides that are against the law..and the wide-use insecticides too. RoundUp is a local killer..you spray in select locations instead of covering your lawn with it...makes it legal. You should be able to find some in CanTire. I checked the site.. Scotts and RoundUp are available in Ontario.

valkyrie

valkyrie:The use of the chemicals is banned throughout the entire province, not just in the city or subdivision... Oh, and no lawn envy...I am just trying to make sure that I start off on the right foot with my neighbours and I sometimes get the impression this guy is judging me/angry with me for the way my lawn looks. Like he expects I should have a lawn that looks as good as his (which at this time would involve breaking the law). I'm not too fussed about the lawn myself, I am just angry that he is likely breaking the law and then being angry at me for not doing so.
Ah, OK. I don't blame you for being angry about this guy's judging over your lawn. I'm the type that would give him the finger and tell him to fuck off. But you might like to get along with your neighbors, and if so, don't follow my lead! :D

And I see you're in Ontario, so this makes sense on the chemical ban. I wouldn't know anything about Canadian laws on lawn care. :lol:

Looks like Bish has found the right solution, if you want to use the chemical on your lawn.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Bish: I realized afterwards that Roundup is available here but it kills EVERYTHING it comes in contact with, including grass. Not what I'm looking for :( I hear there's a product called Weed B Gone coming out by Scott's this month though, I want to try that.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Contact with. That is the key. Spray carefully, on a windless day & there is no problem.

MrBishop

Bish: I realized afterwards that Roundup is available here but it kills EVERYTHING it comes in contact with, including grass. Not what I'm looking for :( I hear there's a product called Weed B Gone coming out by Scott's this month though, I want to try that.

Never tried it...but I will say that about RoundUp. Once the kill is done, you can re-seed that area almost immediately afterwards. No residue. (I wouldn't use it in a veg.garden though).

Weed n'Feed is another alternative.

valkyrie

I have read vinegar can work.
Really? I've never heard of that. Very cool. I assume the vinegar should be applied only to the plant(s) you want to kill.

Now, if I can only get rid of the caterpillars that keep chewing on my unripe blackberries. Damn caterpillars. :cuss:

Gotholic

Really? I've never heard of that. Very cool. I assume the vinegar should be applied only to the plant(s) you want to kill.

Yes.

Now, if I can only get rid of the caterpillars that keep chewing on my unripe blackberries. Damn caterpillars. :cuss:

Organic peppermint oil can help with that. You can actually use Dr. Bronner's organic liquid peppermint soap for that, just make sure you dilute it first. It is my favorite soap.

valkyrie

Yes.

Organic peppermint oil can help with that. You can actually use Dr. Bronner's organic liquid peppermint soap for that, just make sure you dilute it first. It is my favorite soap.
I am going to try the Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. I can get that at the grocery store (seen it). This might be better than picking off the damn caterpillars and crushing their fuzzy asses under my shoe. :cuss: