New Kid

Sharky

Wow - what a great thread! Guns & tattoos . . .

First of all, Welcome, UnEx! :toast:

Those pinup tats and the pirate ship are awesome. I'm especially envious of the pirate ship. :cool:

I'm a 1911 fan, too - I dream of owning a Kimber some day. The gun shop I frequent has a couple of them, and the glass over them always has my nose prints on it. They keep offering to let me handle them, those bastards. They know that the minute I do it'll be cha-ching time.

Tonksy, those are some purty tattoos you have. Do you ever have the urge to slap at the mosquito? :D

UndeadExploder

Sharky - Thanks! I'm quite fond of the pirate ship. The artist who did it will never get another dime of business from me again, but he did a good job on that piece at least.

Kimbers are nice..but I will say be sure to check out some of their reviews online first. Their quality control seems to be lacking more and more as time goes by. I've been reading accounts of slide releases breaking, guns not cycling rounds properly, all manner of lame crap. And for the prices you pay for Kimbers...just be careful.

And btw, your icon rules. :laugh:

Sharky

Sharky - Thanks! I'm quite fond of the pirate ship. The artist who did it will never get another dime of business from me again, but he did a good job on that piece at least.

Kimbers are nice..but I will say be sure to check out some of their reviews online first. Their quality control seems to be lacking more and more as time goes by. I've been reading accounts of slide releases breaking, guns not cycling rounds properly, all manner of lame crap. And for the prices you pay for Kimbers...just be careful.
Man, I need to renew my subscription to Guns & Ammo! :eek: I hadn't heard any of that before. The gun shop guys sure as hell aren't gonna tell me. I probably wouldn't have ever bought one anyway - like you said (or implied) they are Gawd-awful expensive. The one at the gun shop I like the best is about a thousand, if I recall correctly, but it's engraved all over (very nicely) and has custom grips and action. It's purty.

And btw, your icon rules. :laugh:
:D Thanks!

UndeadExploder

Sharky - I'm not in a position to speak first-hand, but I've seen more reports of such things than I'd like to see if I were in the market for one. I can't afford that kind of money for a gun in the first place, let alone on that I run a risk of having to fiddle around with to get running right once I buy it. I mean, 1911's seem to be a little finicky regardless..however for the money Kimber's go for it had better take out the trash and wash my car too.

Like I said - I have a Charles Daly, and besides the usual break-in it's been great. And if there are any issues, call Ivan (head company rep guy) and he'll make it right with the quickness. Do you already have a 1911, or would the Kimber be your first one? If it's your first like my CD was for me, I'd say save your money, go with a cheaper alternative like something from Rock Island/Charles Daly or Springfield Armory, and save the rest for ammo. It ain't getting any cheaper, heh.

Sharky

Years ago I had an old, worn out Remington Rand 1911 A1 that I traded away. It had been ridden hard and put up wet - so many rounds had gone through that pistol, the slide had a lot of play in it. Next time I'm at the gun shop I'll see if they have any Charles Dalys in stock and check them out. I'm not focused on any particular maker, I just liked the Kimbers they have because they looked like such finely crafted pieces, and the engraved one is a work of art. :cool:

I like 1911s because they are massive and have a good feel. A friend of mine has a Beretta 92 FS 9mm and brings with him when they come over to my place so we can shoot it in my back yard. I like it, and would buy one in a heartbeat, but it's just not the same as a 1911 to me. :shrug:

Winky

Oh the horror! What a barbaric place America is
that you can discharge a firearm

RIGHT IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD!

For Christ’s sake
aren’t you ashamed? ;)

Kruz

my Springfield was 459 new when I got it.. with a small amount of "Tweaking" has become reliable fun gun to shoot.
the Colt was around 850 and nothing was needed.
the Taurus was 359 new-in-box and is 100% reliable and fun.
UE- I e-mailed "Ivan" and he sent me the Catalog for the Rock Islands.. nice stuff!

UndeadExploder

I like 1911s because they are massive and have a good feel.

They do indeed. I'd wanted one for awhile just based on the looks and the reputation they have, but once I actually got a chance to shoot one, it was all over. I had to get one.

Oh the horror! What a barbaric place America is
that you can discharge a firearm

RIGHT IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD!

For Christ’s sake
aren’t you ashamed?

Yea, I'm ashamed I don't have a big enough back yard for me to shoot on. :evilgrin:

UE- I e-mailed "Ivan" and he sent me the Catalog for the Rock Islands.. nice stuff!

Yea, Ivan is good people. He really takes care of ya if you need something. As far as the pistols go, I hear the Tactical version they have out now is pretty slick. If I had the money and the space for another gun at the moment, I wouldn't mind picking up one of their Hi-Power clones.

Professur

Don't feel bad, I don't even have enough length to set up an archery pitch.

UE, these damn boards are addictive, aren't they?

Winky

First time I held (shot) a 1911 was when I was six
you know the my Daddy brought it home from WWII
sloppy slide guvermint issue kinda thing...

Winky

That is a so sweet 45 and if I ever wanted another hand
canon that is what I'd get a real Colt none
of this after market stuffs for me.
I'm all about long guns these days.

I wuv my AR-15 Colt Sporter.
If I ever added to the armory I have my heart set on a
M1A SOCOM 16 not sure about the short barrel though...

A_Diverse.JPG

Sharky

.44 magnum lever action I'm shooting here. I think. It's been a while since they brought it over. Sweet rifle - the action is smooth as butter, and the short barrel makes it easy to swing around and hold on targets.

As you can see, I'm not a very good shot. :D

UndeadExploder

Damn you people for having more and better guns than me! It's not fair, I tell you.

I'm pretty sure my next purchase(s) will be either an SKS, An AK-47 (or MAK-90) or both at once. I've thought about going with the AR platform, but something keeps drawing me to the simple, any-idiot-can-make-it-go-bang perfection of the Kalashnikov design.

Winky

What I see is a nice tight group (high and to the left)
depends on the distance and if it was off-hand position.

UndeadExploder

Since we're posting targets, Sharky -

zombie4-3-07.jpg

8x11 size paper, at a distance of roughly 7 yards, 50 rounds of .22 out of my MK III.

I sure did kill 'im good!

UndeadExploder

I have to get to the range soon..I haven't shot my MK III in too long. I've been breaking in the 1911 and using my P22 mostly. But I definetly agree, the Ruger guns are crazy accurate. Great for a little boost to the old self-esteem.