New web server software... growing pains... various things like that

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Recent 20 hour downtime was unscheduled, prompted by repeated deaths of Apache, our former web server software. I finally got fed up with it and decided to ditch it entirely. I'm now using a new one called nginx and it's taking some time to tweak it to get it all working again.

Please excuse any other short downtimes (or long ones, but not so much excuse them as bear with me through them :p) as I tweak things more so that hopefully it never goes down again.

*knock on wood*

catocom

I hadn't heard of "nginx" before.
I saw a ref. to it. Is it what is in use now?

It looked pretty cool. I may give it a try, if I can find any time.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
does the fact that "nginx" is awfully cloed to "jinx" pose a problem?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Still trying to figure out what's going on with it. :(

I suck.

But I installed APC on it now, so let's see if that works any better.

cato: Yep, nginx.

It was written for the second largest site in Russia, so it should be OK for my little pair of servers.

catocom

Well fury, I don't know what the load looks like right now,
but it seems to be clicking along pretty good right now.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Just think of all the people that wouldn't
even begin to get started on running Any kind of server, much less one with significant traffic.

I know I've had Major headaches, and countless hours just setting up security,
and still am updating something everyday.
Believe me I know at least part of what's involved with just keeping a server up.:beardbng:

Don't let it whoop ya man, and don't let it get ya down. I gots faith in ya.:nerd:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's working now. I commented out the part that tells it to restart PHP/FastCGI processes after they've handled a certain number of connections. And it's been going since.

*knocks on wood*

Inkara1

If you look at the bottom & mostly right side of IE7, you'll see that OTC does have spies (privacy report)

MZ82002E.jpg