No Child Left Behind (in public school).

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
But I'm sure that there are actual abuses that can only be properly corrected (and the proper message sent) through such a case.

After all, that's your argument against what we really need (comprehensive tort reform), right?

No, it's a public system. There needs not be monetary damages awarded to fix problems in a school system.

Yes, that is my argument & I'm still unsure of its merit.

HomeLAN

Gonz said:
No, it's a public system.

Ah, so there should be limits maintained on lawsuits against government entities? Shit, those scare me more than businesses.

You can't exempt schools without opening the door for widening that exception to all Gov't entities. I'm pretty sure you'll disavow that line of thinking if you follow it through to its ultimate ends.

What we need is reform, not exemptions.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'm leaning more towards your way of thinking. I don't like it because it prices in lawsuits & makes the truly damaged little guy vulnerable.

Government already can exempt itself from lawsuits. The only loser when somebody gets a settlement from a gov't lawsuit is the taxpayer.

Professur

Here's an idea. A simple one too. If you sue and lose, you do six months for contempt of court. That takes care of the frivilous ones.

HomeLAN

And pay the cost of housing that fuck in prison for half a year? Screw that. Monetary penalties in addition to court costs and awarded damages for the losing party. Makes money for the taxpayers instead of costing them.

Professur

Well, if you'd asked about my opinion of prison reform ..... ;)

How about making the bastards in prison work hard enough to pay for the prison system? How about no more cable TV and steak dinners? How about no more clean needles and free condoms for people who aren't supposed to be having sex or doing drugs in the first place.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
PT said:
Yep, start giving grades that mean something. Don't allow a kid to pass a grade because it would make him feel bad to fail. Kick the kids off of sports teams if they're not doing well, and don't let the coaches make that decision. And get these social awareness programs out of the schools, they're doing far more damage than the pledge of allegiance ever did.

I was informed recently by the 11.67 year old that she got "bonus points" in all her subjects if she wrote down her assignments and had a parent sign off on it.

Let me repeat that...

Bonus points in all her subjects if she wrote down her assignments and had a parent sign off on it.

Not completed the assignments. Not if she did exceptional work on them. Not if she completed extra work above the assignments. If she simply writes down what she is supposed to do, and shows that to us, she gets bonus points.

I need to make a phone call to the school board. I was under the impression that you write the damn things down so you wouldn't forget what you were supposed to do. I was further under the impression that bonus points are just that...bonuses, supposedly awarded for doing more than is expected.

And we wonder why the pimply faced crack addict at Burger King freaks out if we submit $5.03 for an order costing $4.53...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
SouthernN'Proud said:
And we wonder why the pimply faced crack addict at Burger King freaks out if we submit $5.03 for an order costing $4.53...

/me trying to think of a 50cent joke, and failing...

Professur

SouthernN'Proud said:
I was further under the impression that bonus points are just that...bonuses, supposedly awarded for doing more than is expected.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what this bonus is for. Evidently, they feel that this is beyond the ability of most of her classmates.

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
Unfortunately, that's exactly what this bonus is for. Evidently, they feel that this is beyond the ability of most of her classmates.

I think it also has to do with ensuring that no child is a "failure". If every child does this one, simple, thing, then, no matter how badly thet are in the actual studies, they can still pass the course. No more low self-esteem on their part because they 'tried their best'. Also the teacher looks good because all of their students are passing. The school looks good because all of their grades are up. The district looks good because all the children are graduating on time. Now we have a bunch of un, and under, educated adults running things. Welcome to the new millenium. I hope we survive the experience.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
And as long as I'm on a sopabox, I may as well preach...

Wanna know what irks me the most? Well, I'm gonna tell you anyway. This kid's school sits literally at the foot of a mountain in the Appalachian chain. Within easy walking distance there are numerous hiking trails and other available outdoor learning resources. This area is rich in history and culture. So for social studies, they are being subjected to an in depth study of Mayan Indians. Now, I don't personally know any Mayan Indians. I have every reason to believe that they are, on the whole, a fine bunch of people who if given the chance would do me no harm. But I betcha a dollar to a doughnut that their kids ain't learnin' about Appalachian culture in school...they're learning their OWN cultural history. So presumably, we're soon gonna have a whole passel of kids running around who can tell you all about the Mayan Indians and their history and culture, but know very little of their own vanishing culture.

God knows I try. I have taken the kid to see (and help) apple butter be made outdoors in iron kettles. She has seen lye soap made. She has been told how to make hominy the old-fashioned way. She has been exposed to shape note gospel singing, she helps us decorate our Christmas tree with strings of popcorn and cranberries for garland instead of that infernal shit you buy at WalMart, she adores bluegrass music and can identify the basic core instruments involved by tone, and she has seen authentic mountain crafts, dance, art, music, and life skills in demonstration and in practice. I take it as my responsibility to teach her these things. But dammit, the school is missing an excellent opportunity to keep the native culture of its region alive...instead, they get the damn Mayan Inidians.

This is flat out wrong. I don't care where in the world you live, there is an indigenous culture prevalent in the area, and it has value. If you as parents don't teach it to your kids, who will? If you're an American, non-minority, and waiting for the school to do it...yer screwed.

Gets my blood aboiling...

Gato_Solo

SouthernN'Proud said:
And as long as I'm on a sopabox, I may as well preach...

Wanna know what irks me the most? Well, I'm gonna tell you anyway. This kid's school sits literally at the foot of a mountain in the Appalachian chain. Within easy walking distance there are numerous hiking trails and other available outdoor learning resources. This area is rich in history and culture. So for social studies, they are being subjected to an in depth study of Mayan Indians. Now, I don't personally know any Mayan Indians. I have every reason to believe that they are, on the whole, a fine bunch of people who if given the chance would do me no harm. But I betcha a dollar to a doughnut that their kids ain't learnin' about Appalachian culture in school...they're learning their OWN cultural history. So presumably, we're soon gonna have a whole passel of kids running around who can tell you all about the Mayan Indians and their history and culture, but know very little of their own vanishing culture.

God knows I try. I have taken the kid to see (and help) apple butter be made outdoors in iron kettles. She has seen lye soap made. She has been told how to make hominy the old-fashioned way. She has been exposed to shape note gospel singing, she helps us decorate our Christmas tree with strings of popcorn and cranberries for garland instead of that infernal shit you buy at WalMart, she adores bluegrass music and can identify the basic core instruments involved by tone, and she has seen authentic mountain crafts, dance, art, music, and life skills in demonstration and in practice. I take it as my responsibility to teach her these things. But dammit, the school is missing an excellent opportunity to keep the native culture of its region alive...instead, they get the damn Mayan Inidians.

This is flat out wrong. I don't care where in the world you live, there is an indigenous culture prevalent in the area, and it has value. If you as parents don't teach it to your kids, who will? If you're an American, non-minority, and waiting for the school to do it...yer screwed.

Gets my blood aboiling...

Easy there, big fella. I'm a minority, and I try to get my kids to the local area's science fairs and such. I also think the school system sucks. Don't lump us all into that catagory, either. :p

Gato_Solo

Gonz said:
Nuh ugh, the Republicans won :D

Actually, Gonz, I'm a registered Democrat. I just don't like the people they've been nominating for the past 20 years. Give me a good, moderate, Democrat, and I'll vote for a Democrat. Until then, they can kiss my ass. ;)

PostCode

Major contributor!
Gonz said:
The heavy hand method worked until the liberals got involved & made it all touchy feely.

You nailed it. Pure and simple. It was working so just had to make it better and now it's broke.

Winky

Ya gets what you pay for or..
if yer gettin' it fer free quit yer bitchin'

"No Child Left Behind (in public school)."

Speaking to Les's post regarding her Sons that CANNOT read and Mayan Indians...

Anytime my kid wasn't performing WAY beyond the national average we actually paid and sent him to a tutoring school. Really I'm serious. Because he was ALREADY in private school they had standards FAR above what would be expected by public school in that grade level. And guess what? They wouldn't 'hold him back' their solution? Boot him OUT!
Yep they were running a business and if the Kid can't make the marks it would reflect poorly ON THEM. When he took the tests that public school kids were measured by he was getting ridiculous returns. I got used to having them say stuff like
Oh he's in fifth grade and is reading at the same level as a Kid in his senior year of High school. I laughed and disregarded everything after he returned a result of.. “he is reading at the level of a junior in college IN SEVENTH GRADE!” It wasn't until he got a 211 on the PSAT (which puts him in the 99.5% in the nation) now he's got free college rides as a result that I paid anymore attention lol. Yep the 80 to 100 grand spent on school from 18 months to grade 12 was well spent. Ya gets what ya pay for and ya gets nothing from free public schools.

"No Child Left Behind (in public school)."

Winky

Good call Inky
I thought the same thing.
If I recall they were really bitchin'
sacrificing them virgins and playing ball
with peoples heads?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Inkara1 said:
I should point out that the Mayans no longer exist. :p

Guess that explains why I don't know any. 'Course, it also proves my point...they ain't learning Appalachian culture in their schools. :devious: