No more homework!

GrandCaravanSE

Suppose you are firing a cannonball at a target 726 m away. Your cannon fires its ammo at 89m/s. what angle(s) should you place the cannon's barrel?

Altron

well, 89cos(theta) = 726/t
and 89sin(theta) = 4.9t

a few simple algebraic tricks later, and we find that the angle must be 31.95 degrees

Inkara1

If you wanted to get back at him, you have enough karma power that you could probably put him into the red with one whack.

Wacky Nacky

I hated school, and even college (uni). I do like to think, but I prefer to do it on my own time, and not waste precious thought process on school. As for "personalizing" homework, I wouldn't count on the kids remembering what they learned. I've had to do that before, and I pretty much just skimmed for whatever I needed to do the assignment, and promptly forgot what I learned after getting tested and earning an 'A' on it.

Most of my learning these days comes from Wikipedia. The thing that interests me the most is history, mostly the Holocaust/Third Reich. I've learned far more from Wikipedia than I did in high school, presumably because I *want* to learn now and it's interesting to me.

I'll never understand why high school takes 4 years to complete, but can be finished in only a year or so if you take high school level college courses.

valkyrie

Hated high school, boring as hell. It was a 4 year sentence I had to endure.

I liked university, even the homework had purpose.

There does seem to be a tendency to lump more and more homework on kids: hours and hours of it, even in elementary. One of the reasons is the push for standardized tests. There is less time in the classroom now for teaching the subject matter when part of the class is required to be used to teach the answers to the standardized test. That means more work must go home each night.

I think homework has it's place, but as for elementary kids... there really isn't much that should go home. All homework, though, should be meaningful and used to prepare the kid for the upcoming test (as practice toward that test).