Obama does Biden

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Bottom line. Guy on his own property doing nothing illegal. Should never have been arrested.

Fucking A right.

From this day forward, all black men (and presumably women) that chose the life of burglary may, upon encountering the police, just yell at the top of your lungs that you own this house & carry on. The police will have no option but to believe you. As soon as they leave, clean it out.

spike, may I have your address?

spike

They didn't arrest him for burglary. Because he had already suffeciently proven that it wasn't the case.

I'm glad you approve of having the cops come to your house arrest you when you've done nothing wrong. Where do you live? I'll send them over. ;)

jimpeel

As a "by the by ..." the news tonight interviewed the second officer on the scene, the one who wrote the corroborating report.

HE'S BLACK

He stated that he supports the other officer 100% and that the comments that the professor made on "This is how a Black man is treated in America when a White woman calls the police were over the top. So he added a bit of new information to the mix.

jimpeel

They didn't arrest him for burglary. Because he had already suffeciently proven that it wasn't the case.

I'm glad you approve of having the cops come to your house arrest you when you've done nothing wrong. Where do you live? I'll send them over. ;)

You

always accuse everyone else of hoisting straw man arguments and here you are hoisting one yourself.

They did not go to his house to arrest him for doing nothing wrong. That is your straw man.

Nice try.

They went to his house to investigate a report that there may possibly be a crime in progress. The professor is the one who elevated the situation to an arrest level.

jimpeel

No shit Jim, I said they went to his house and arrested him when he did nothing wrong.

You're trying a straw man here.

Yes, you are right. They went there specifically to arrest him WHEN he had done nothing wrong.

Although he had done nothing wrong.

Because he had done nothing wrong.

Regardless of the fact that he had done nothing wrong.

Did I miss any parsing, nuance, or innuendo? I'm sure you will correct me if I have.

chcr

Too cute for words

Oh Jesus Christ. If you fuck with the cops, you go to jail. If you fuck with the cops and you're black, you go to jail faster. It's not good, I certainly don't like it but it is the way things are. You should be trying to change the world but you still have to live in the one that is, not the one you wish that was. Everyone will act horrified and nothing will change. Welcome to America. Two guys, one black and one white, one with authority and one without, got into a pissing contest. Absolutely nothing unexpected happened. If Gates had just shown Crowley his license and said, "Dude, it's my house" without the histrionics, we would never have heard a word about it.

Cerise

As a "by the by ..." the news tonight interviewed the second officer on the scene, the one who wrote the corroborating report.

Video interview at link.

AP: A black police officer who was at Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s home when the black Harvard scholar was arrested says he fully supports how his white fellow officer handled the situation.

Sgt. Leon Lashley says Gates was probably tired and surprised when Sgt. James Crowley demanded identification from him as officers investigated a report of a burglary. Lashley says Gates' reaction to Crowley was "a little bit stranger than it should have been."

Asked if Gates should have been arrested, Lashley said supported Crowley "100 percent."

spike

Yeah, sounds disorderly as hell. Someone needed to shut that down for the protection of the children. :D

Cerise

Massachusetts law regarding disorderly conduct protects all citizens, regardless of age:

Our disorderly conduct law seeks to
control intentional conduct which tends to disturb the public
tranquility, or to alarm or provoke others.

It forbids conduct that involves the
use of force or violence. It also prohibits making threats that
involve the immediate use of force or violence. It forbids
tumultuous and highly agitated behavior, which may not involve
physical violence, but which causes riotous commotion and
excessively unreasonable noise, and so constitutes a public
nuisance.

Finally, the law prohibits any conduct that creates a
hazard to public safety or a physically offensive condition by an
act that serves no legitimate purpose of the defendant’s.

spike

There was no threat. Citizens were not protected.

In law enforcement, there are few situations that are clear-cut, and disorderly conduct is one of the fuzziest. As Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. now knows all too well, the misdemeanor charge can be used to corral people who are simply uncooperative or rude. State statutes are designed to help police officers maintain authority, and they are so broadly worded that divining what constitutes disorderly conduct is left up to the discretion of individual officers. "It's probably the most abused statute in America," says Eugene O'Donnell, a professor of law and police studies at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1912777,00.html

BeardofPants

I dunno anything at all about this (just got back from hols in States), but I think if I was in this situation, I'd be downright pissed too. At any rate, sounds like both parties probably overreacted.