official beer thread

unclehobart

Gonz said:
story.buddata.cnn.jpg
I think I found a new use for the 100 billion. Buy out all of the cheap beer labels and shut them down once and for all.

Thulsa Doom

unfortunately a lynch mob of 100 million angry people would form outside your door. for better or worse bad beer is what most people prefer. now you can lead a horse to water but you probably shouldnt demolish his giant breweries...

Thulsa Doom

On the other hand you could dress up Tonksy like Marie Antoinette and have her come to the balcony of your palace with her "beer mug" and drunkenly say "Let them drink Doppelbock!" :D

tonksy

Thulsa Doom said:
On the other hand you could dress up Tonksy like Marie Antoinette and have her come to the balcony of your palace with her "beer mug" and drunkenly say "Let them drink Doppelbock!" :D
excellent! converting the masses while i have a beauty mark drawn on my bosom!

unclehobart

My plan wasn't to make it a 'dry' country. I just wanted to rasie the lowest common denominator bar out of the toilet and force the dumb-masses (dumbasses) to drink real beer.

PrincessLissa

unclehobart said:
I think I found a new use for the 100 billion. Buy out all of the cheap beer labels and shut them down once and for all.

You can't do that. Some of us poor peoples need to drink the cheap beer.

:D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Hey now, I liked my Budweiser :p

If we're gonna take potshots at bad beer, here, try these:

colt45sign.jpg

falstaff_lion.jpg

yes, liked, as in past tense...I don't drink much anymore

DFisherman

Here's five I like (not counting brewpub beers):

1.) Local(ish): "Creemore Springs Premium Lager"
Brewers: Creemore Springs Brewery, Creemore Springs, Ontario, Canada

BrewAdvocate.com review: Creemore Springs Premium Lager

You can find it in many place in the greater Toronto area. Best on tap, but also very good in bottles (two formats: 341ml bottles and 500ml twist-cap bottles).

2.) Regional: "Northumberland Ale"
Brewers: Church-Key Brewing Company, Campbellford, Ontario, Canada.

Only around twelve places in the greater Toronto area server this (on tap). Bottles are only sold at the brewery itself in Campbellford (think, small brewery).

3.) Quebec: "Belle Gueule Originale" (lager)
Brewers: Brasseur RJ, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

BeerAdvocate.com review: Belle Gueule Originale

Easy to find in bottles in Toronto as most Beer Stores carry the brand. Good in bottles, but great on tap.

4.) California: "Anchor Steam Beer"
Brewers: Anchor Brerwing Company, San Francisco, California, USA.

BeerAdvocate.com review: Anchor Steam Beer

Fairly easy to find in Toronto in some LCBOs (Liquor Store). Had it once on tap in a San Francisco grill house and it was superb.

5.) Czech Republic: "Starobrno" (pilsner)
Brewers: Pivovar Starbrno, A.S., Brno, Czech Republic, EU.

BeerAdvocate.com review: Starobrno

I don't care for most Pilsners, but this one it great. I can't image how good it is on tap as I've only had it in bottles. Available in a few LCBOs in the greater Toronto area.

Cheers,

- DFisherman

ris

tonksy said:
my "i'm drinking all day" beer.
hobgoblin ale
Hobgoblin is a powerful full-bodied copper red, well-balanced brew. Strong in roasted malt with a moderate hoppy bitterness and slight fruity character that lasts through to the end.
bottle_hobgoblin_big.gif

we got a wychwood owned pub or two in bristol (sadly none of them are near where i live...), some of the other beers they have on draft are pretty decent, like the fiddler's elbow and old devil.

tonksy

ris said:
we got a wychwood owned pub or two in bristol (sadly none of them are near where i live...), some of the other beers they have on draft are pretty decent, like the fiddler's elbow and old devil.
i've had the fiddler's elbow and the witch one...in bottles of course. i'd love to try a hobgoblin on draft. :D

Raven

Annoying SOB
chcr said:
On a related note, I heard a Britishism I was unfamiliar with today on Virgin Radio: "cannaloggah."

Can of lager :)

I haven't been drinking much in the way of beer recently, just Stella Artois and Carlsberg when I do.....I'm more of a spirits person meself.

Thulsa Doom

tonksy said:
everyone has had some bad beer in their past:
ol14.gif

right on the can does it say "it's the water".

Coors still bases their reputation on that. Oh and that its brewed in a cold state. :confused: