official beer thread

Raven

Annoying SOB
Professur said:
Good Lord. For a minute there, I thought you were being serious about Carling being a good beer. You really need to add a j/k to the end.

The best canadian beer is no longer in production. It was a beer named Caber. Brewed out of Pictou, NS.
Jeebus....what he said!

How can you allow that foul abomination of a brew to pass your lips?

Lopan

Raven said:
Jeebus....what he said!

How can you allow that foul abomination of a brew to pass your lips?

Its the eternal problem, You can't drink Kronenbourg or Stella all night without going mad and not everywhere does Carlsberg. So on occasion Carling gets drunk.

Bottles are a no no as are alco pops, The only acceptable drink apart from a pint is JD & coke which goes down lovely but costs a fortune.

What to do what to do?

BeardofPants

wikipedia said:
Almost any sugar or starch-containing food can naturally undergo fermentation, and so it is likely that beer-like beverages were independently invented in cultures throughout the world. In Mesopotamia, the oldest evidence of beer is on a 6000-year old Sumerian tablet which shows people drinking a beverage through reed straws from a communal bowl. Beer is also mentioned in the Epic of Gilgamesh, and a 3900-year old Sumerian poem honoring the brewing goddess Ninkasi contains the oldest surviving beer recipe, describing the production of beer from barley via bread. Beer became vital to all the grain-growing civilizations of classical antiquity, especially in Egypt and Mesopotamia.

Beer was important to early Romans, but during Republican times wine displaced beer as the preferred alcoholic beverage, and beer became considered a beverage fit only for barbarians. Tacitus wrote disparagingly of the beer brewed by the Germanic peoples of his day.

Most beers until relatively recent times were what we would now call ales. Lagers were discovered by accident in the sixteenth century when beer was stored in cool caverns for long periods; they have since largely outpaced ales in volume. (See below for the distinction.) The use of hops for bittering and preservation is a medieval addition. Hops were cultivated in France as early as the 800s. The oldest surviving written record of the use of hops in beer is in 1067 by Abbess Hildegard of Bingen: "If one intends to make beer from oats, it is prepared with hops." In 15th century England, an unhopped beer would have been known as an ale, while the use of hops would make it a beer. Hopped beer was imported to England (from the Netherlands) as early as 1400 in Winchester and hops were being planted on the island by 1428. The Brewers Company of London went so far as to state "no hops, herbs, or other like thing be put into any ale or liquore wherof ale shall be made — but only liquor (water), malt, and yeast." However, by the 16th century, "ale" had come to refer to any strong beer, and all ale and beer were hopped.

Methods of brewing changed very little from that time. In 1953, New Zealander Morton W Coutts developed the technique of continuous fermentation which was the first major change to brewing since the 16th century. Morton patented his process which revolutionized the industry by reducing a four-month long brewing process to less than 24 hours [1]. His process is still used by many of the world’s major breweries today, including Guinness.

Wiki

:lloyd: :headbang:

chcr

Too cute for words
Lopan said:
Its the eternal problem, You can't drink Kronenbourg or Stella all night without going mad and not everywhere does Carlsberg. So on occasion Carling gets drunk.

Bottles are a no no as are alco pops, The only acceptable drink apart from a pint is JD & coke which goes down lovely but costs a fortune.

What to do what to do?

Well, first of all, you don't spoil whisky (not even JD) by mixing it with a soft drink! One or the other, make up your mind.
*looks affronted and storms away*
:D

Professur

Good article, but it fails to mention one thing, The rich romans were the guys owning the grape vinyards and olive groves. It makes sense that they'd push vine, since that made them richer. Any farmer could grow the makings of beer, but the makings of wine took decades of preparation and investment.

BlurOfSerenity

my man drinks the good stuff

attachment.php

Sharky

tonksy said:
this:
[McAuslan Apricot Wheat Ale]

Oooooh . . . that sounds interesting. :cool:

Well, all they had at the beer store was Molson's, Labatt's, and Moosehead. I may have already mentioned the poor selection available down here. :disgust2:

With 2/3 of the population on the beach in wintertime being Canadians, you would think there would be more choices . . . but nooooooo.

I tried the Molson's. It tastes exactly like Pabst Blue Ribbon. :shrug:

Raven

Annoying SOB
Lopan said:

What to do what to do?
Heh....stella and kronenbourg dont have that effect on me which is good.....bottles are hugely acceptable...espcially where I got because you can get a pints worth for less than a pint....genius.....

And JD and coke is less than a pint of stella.....£1.90 for me.....gotta love rock pubs and clubs :D

tonksy

Sharky said:
I tried the Molson's. It tastes exactly like Pabst Blue Ribbon. :shrug:
:laugh5: you should try the molson golden or the moosehead. i like moosehead when i'm in the mood for a lager and i am out of tsing tao.

Thulsa Doom

ash r said:
my man drinks the good stuff

attachment.php

Natty Bo! good grief that brings back memories. I thought it had gone extinct years ago. that was THE cult beer for high school locals. We used to get it for $3.99 a case. When yer 15/16 theres nothing better. Kind of loses its charm once you get within a year or two of drinking age though.

chcr

Too cute for words
tonksy said:
:laugh5: you should try the molson golden or the moosehead. i like moosehead when i'm in the mood for a lager and i am out of tsing tao.
Molson Golden is one of my favorites when I'm not being a cheap bastard. Even toured one of their breweries once.

BlurOfSerenity

Thulsa Doom said:
Natty Bo! good grief that brings back memories. I thought it had gone extinct years ago. that was THE cult beer for high school locals. We used to get it for $3.99 a case. When yer 15/16 theres nothing better. Kind of loses its charm once you get within a year or two of drinking age though.

"don't worry, it's still $3.99"

i gotta get him to join here, so that he can post himself instead of my quoting him :)

Lopan

chcr said:
Well, first of all, you don't spoil whisky (not even JD) by mixing it with a soft drink! One or the other, make up your mind.
*looks affronted and storms away*
:D

JD is a bourbon, Lagulleven is a scotch and bushmills is whisky. Lesson over. Why not mix JD and coke? It goes quite well. Would you not have sunday roast without gravy if an anally retentive purist told you not to?

Sharky

tonksy said:
Woo-woo!! Tonight is Beer Night. :toast:

I'm pretty sure the Carousel had Moosehead, so I'll pick up some. And the Molson Golden if they have it. :beerbang:

Tsing Tao is indeed good lager . . . haven't found it here yet, though.