Oil spill progression

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
So then, under the threat of not doing business in the USA. Reasonable logic...until you consider that it cuts our throat as well as BP's.

A private enterprise should never be threatened with extiction over an accident, especially when every step of the corporation was first examined & allowed to procede by the very same entity that might make it extinct.

spike

Hell no,

It cuts our throats to continue to do business with a company that would do our country harm for money.

I wouldn't threaten them with extinction. I'd threaten them with "if you want to business here take care of your mess". You would like to give them a pass and what? Do you want the taxpayers to clean it up?

catocom

Do you want the taxpayers to clean it up?

not me, but it is happening now, and will in the future, at least to a degree.
It seems to depend on who want to shut their mouth and play ball with the admin, if they want to get paid.

Don't ask for an example yet. (it's still early, and observations are on-going)
They will be forthcoming soon.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You would like to give them a pass and what? Do you want the taxpayers to clean it up?

I've been quite clear about this.

What I don't want is an intrusive, overbearing man-child in the White House to cut off our supply of domestic oil production & to threaten any corporation over an accident.

Show me the law that gives him such authority.

valkyrie

What I don't want is an intrusive, overbearing man-child in the White House to cut off our supply of domestic oil production & to threaten any corporation over an accident.

We are already the bitch of foreign oil. We do not need to be held hostage by domestic oil.

If this means that our government has to impose measures to force BP to pay for the clean up of their own fuck up (rather than the tax payers of this country) then so be it.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
They are, by regulation, forced to clean up their mess.

They are NOT obligated to pay for anything else without a legal hearing. Congress may not make a law regarding this situation since that is also illegal.

BP is being strongarmed by a wanna-be dictator.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Either we live by the rule of law or we are dead.

spike

There's no intrusive, overbearing man-child in the white house cutting off our domestic oil production.

I would expect any responsible admin to threaten an irresponsible company that threatens our country with their actions as BP has. We are no obligation to grant them oil leases if they're going to screw up our country with them.

spike

BP is being strongarmed by a wanna-be dictator.

Wrong, BP and other oil companies have been strong arming and buying off our government for far too long.

Time for someone to stand up to them and say "no, you can't fucking ruin our shit and buy off our government".

Either we live by the rule of law or we are dead.

Yes, there's absolutely nothing illegal about denying a company that is fucking up our country oil leases. Thankfully.

jimpeel

Day 70 and finally ... FINALLY ... the administration is going to accept help from foreign countries -- right after the hurricane blows the oil farther onshore and does the most damage possible.

SOURCE

U.S. Accepts Relief Aid for Gulf Spill From 12 Countries

Published June 29, 2010 | NewsCore

The United States will accept offers of assistance in cleaning up the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico from 12 countries and international bodies, according to a press release issued Tuesday by the U.S. State Department.

This will include two high-speed skimmers and fire containment boom from Japan.

"We are currently working out the particular modalities of delivering the offered assistance. Further details will be forthcoming once these arrangements are complete," the press release said.
Twenty-seven nations have offered clean-up assistance to the U.S., including Canada, China, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Russia and the United Arab Emirates.

The international bodies offering their assistance are the European Maritime Safety Agency, the European Commission's Monitoring and Information Centre, the International Maritime Organization, and the Environment Unit of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs and the United Nations Environment Program.

Many of the offers are still under consideration, according to a document posted to the State Dept.’s website.

An offer of chemical dispersant from France was declined because the chemicals in it are not approved for use in the U.S.

An estimated 1.6 million to 3.6 million barrels of oil (67 million to 153 million gallons) have already poured into the Gulf from some 5,000 feet (1,500 meters) below the surface since the April 20 explosion of BP's Deepwater Horizon rig.

catocom

Only liberals believe in defending the country from irresponsible companies? Weird. You'd think everyone would be into that.

no...
only liberals define "irresponsible" the way they do.
Libs have their definitions, Cons have theirs, and then there's a little common ground.

Professur

Did you know that the most effective oil absorber they've ever found is actively destroyed on a daily basis by every dept of transport in america? It's the fluff from cat tails. Floats on water, but absorbs oil in great quantities.

catocom

meh, it's getting cleaned up.
The problem is they need to STOP IT!
They don't seem to like that solution though.