OMG get your survival seeds to prepare for the apocalypse

catocom

Re: OMG get your survival seeds to repare for the apocalypse

Don't be fooled. My neighbor and I go in on organic and/or heirloom seeds all the time. It is not as expensive as what this company is selling it for. Trust me.
Some examples of legitimate seed companies:
http://www.southernexposure.com/catalog.p.html
http://www.ansonmills.com/

Some great advice can be found at Mother Earth News...
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening.aspx
(I subscribe)

I'll be checking those linkies out.

MrBishop

Bish....don't eat & you life will be in danger.

Sure...but the thought that I will not be able to buy food from local grocery stores next year because...they won't exist? It's worst than laugheable...it's an outright lie.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

Sure...but the thought that I will not be able to buy food from local grocery stores next year because...they won't exist? It's worst than laugheable...it's an outright lie.

The date may change but the possibility is there.

Professur

I take it you haven't heard that Stem Rust has been found in India, Pakistan and now is suspected in Iran then. 100 years ago, 100 different varieties of wheat prospered across the planet. Scientists bred a new Rust resistant strain and spread it world wide. Like polio, it seemed eradicated. Now it's back, better than ever, and 99% of the world's wheat is all the same strain, which is no longer proof. Stem Rust can spread 100 miles in a day on the wind. Africa is bracing for a nightmare, and everyone is praying (futilely) that it won't hop the Atlantic.

I hope for your sake you're still laughing this time next year when wheat bread is too expensive for your grocer to stock, and we're all hoping that the rice bread doesn't pass $3 a loaf.

MrBishop

Price hikes still won't close the stores, nor will it make having your own home garden become the only thing keeping you alive.

To quote Wiki, which itself quotes an OSU Prof.
The fungal ancestors of stem rust have infected grasses for millions of years and wheat crops for as long as they have been grown.[1] According to Jim Peterson, professor of wheat breeding and genetics at Oregon State University, "Stem rust destroyed more than 20% of U.S. wheat crops several times between 1917 and 1935, and losses reached 9% twice in the 1950s," with the last U.S. outbreak in 1962 destroying 5.2% of the crop.[1]

Frankly, the idiotic biofuel debackle has done and will do worst for the price of wheat than this is likely to do.

Professur

Frankly, the idiotic biofuel debackle has done and will do worst for the price of wheat than this is likely to do.

I'll second this. The only sane way to burn corn in a vehicle is in a diesel after you've fried a week's french fries in the oil from it.

Came very close to buying a diesel last week on this very point too.

valkyrie

The date may change but the possibility is there.
There is always a possibility (like zombies taking over the world), but highly improbable.

As for this website...
I am not as hard-core upset that this company is fleecing the fools who believe their fabrication. There is always going to be companies who will play to fear to make a sale and their always will be. Just like there will always be citizens with less than average IQ's. There isn't going to be anything we can do to save them from their own idiocy. :shrug: If they're not smart enough to do their research and shop around for heirloom seeds at reputable sites then they're going to be ripped off. It really is as simple as that. It's the same concept as trying to keep retarded people from being taken advantage of by con artists. You can try to educate them but somehow the grifters are going to find some of them and they will be easy pickings.

MrBishop

I'll second this. The only sane way to burn corn in a vehicle is in a diesel after you've fried a week's french fries in the oil from it.

Came very close to buying a diesel last week on this very point too.

What stopped ya? Price, availability of parts, noise, other?

valkyrie

Frankly, Hive Death scares me more than Stem Rust or Economic impacts on farmers.
It concerns me also. I think they're going to find poisons as the root cause.

I'm considering getting a honey bee hive. I've been thinking about it for over a year now.

MrBishop

It concerns me also. I think they're going to find poisons as the root cause.

I'm considering getting a honey bee hive. I've been thinking about it for over a year now.

A SciPodcast I listen to on occasion mentioned parasites, but didn't go into much depth. Frustrating, to say the least. I mean..Hell! How do you pollinate anything without bees!???!

Hand-pollination is cute on a small scale, but try doing this for an orchard or a field of strawberries.:dizzy:
2008_07_25-HandPollinating.jpg

valkyrie

A SciPodcast I listen to on occasion mentioned parasites, but didn't go into much depth. Frustrating, to say the least. I mean..Hell! How do you pollinate anything without bees!???!

Hand-pollination is cute on a small scale, but try doing this for an orchard or a field of strawberries.:dizzy:
2008_07_25-HandPollinating.jpg
Parasites have always been around for bees as well as other animals and plants. A weakened immune system caused by toxins in the environment might have tipped the scales to the point where bees are no longer able to live with the parasites. The decline in bee population is going to result in the lower population of the parasites as a result but will only follow after the bee population falls far below the ability to support the parasite population. Parasites can not live without their hosts and it is not advantageous for a parasite to kill the host only to weaken it slightly (i.e., tapeworms) which allows the parasite to reproduce and for offspring to infect other host animals that come in contact with the original carrier.

Gotholic

It is probably the chemtrails that are killing the bees.

catocom

we have several hive owners around here.
I've hear of some incidents, but not like in Ca.

I've got enough carpenter bees to do me a while, if the honey bees get lost, maybe.

I've heard around here, that they've been working on a fix, with some success,
but I don't know numbers.

Inkara1

The link is to an '89 Suburban. Is the link the actual Suburban?

Professur

It is, and it isn't. Y'see that classified link isn't where I found it. I found it on E-bay, with a somewhat different listing. It's a rebuild of parts from 3 different vehicles. When I checked the details with the DMV, they told me it would licensed as a '96.