opening ceremony olympic games, athens, greece

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
don't know if it's broadcasted in the usa? watching it now...it's pretty good :) gives all those people who said they couldn't get things in order in time, the finger...

spectacular show. hopefully the games will be as good :)

Uki Chick

Shadowfax said:
don't know if it's broadcasted in the usa? watching it now...it's pretty good :) gives all those people who said they couldn't get things in order in time, the finger...

spectacular show. hopefully the games will be as good :)

I wish I could be at home watching right now instead of being at work. I'll have to catch a few bits on the late night news if i'm home by then.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
8PM ET - Midnight EDT

Don't spoil it, but let us know if it's really cool (an archer lighting the flame is gonna be hard to beat)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gonz said:
8PM ET - Midnight EDT

Don't spoil it, but let us know if it's really cool (an archer lighting the flame is gonna be hard to beat)

They don't show it live??? In 2000 in Sydney I know they showed the opening ceremonies live...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
They may show the games live but the opening ceremony is in prime time

Inkara1

They show a lot of the games live, but the sports NBC thinks will be the biggest ratings draw in the US will be tape-delayed to be shown in primetime, if I remember right.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
so you saw it already by now? or still waiting?

i personally thought it was very great...some unexpected things happened as well..keeps it nice an human :D
will discuss it further once i know you guys saw it as well ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Kudos to teh make-up artists

mdf655976.jpg

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
In my half listening it sounded as though the guy on the cube was representing the forever march onward. Damn I hate the pommpous arts :D

ClaireBear

Banned
Have to admit that my household managed to avoid the opening ceremony and tries to evade all of the events!!!!

I catch the final result but really the outcome is of little consequence to the country... I mean is there a monetary gain? Would people really say things like "I know for my holiday 2005 I'll go Belgium because they won the 4 metre twin diving in the Olympics".... probably not!

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
unclehobart said:
I had to go to bed right after the russians were marching in. What happend next? Who lit the flame and how?
Didn't really miss much. Some woman(Bjork?) sang a song, wearing a dress that every athlete in attendance got under, it was a pretty big dress that showed a map of the world when they got it all spread out.

The flame lighting was done by a simple torch, passed a few times right before the end. The flame itself if rather impressive, looked to me like they were getting ready to light the biggest bottle rocket I've seen. http://www.athens2004.com/en/TorchRelay/torchrelay

ClaireBear

Banned
PuterTutor said:
Didn't really miss much. Some woman(Bjork?) sang a song, wearing a dress that every athlete in attendance got under, it was a pretty big dress that showed a map of the world when they got it all spread out.

The flame lighting was done by a simple torch, passed a few times right before the end. The flame itself if rather impressive, looked to me like they were getting ready to light the biggest bottle rocket I've seen. http://www.athens2004.com/en/TorchRelay/torchrelay

So can I ask... is the opening of the Olympics like a family TV event or something cause all I know is on the night the Olympics starts and the opening ceremony is broadcast live and it hits primetime viewing the pubs/bars are packed in Blighty!!!!!!!!