Paedophiles...where do we put them?

freako104

in order for it to be a crime it would have to be voluntary. that said if they are only thinking it then Gato is right there is no crime. its only if they act on it that its a crime. and yes to gonz question i do think they would still be homosexual since they are attracted to the same sex unless they are attracted to someone of the opposite sex. then theyre bi.

Mirlyn

Thulsa Doom said:
huh? so yer saying if a guy is attracted to other guys but hasnt done anything with other guys yet then he isnt gay? he only becomes gay when he actually does something sexually with another guy? what kind of logic is that. im sure theres tens of thousands of pedophiles (people who are attracted to pre-pubescent children) out there that never have and never will offend. but they are still pedophiles. just invisible ones. The question i was asking was if one of them suddenly says hey im a pedophile but i havent done anything well what do we do with them exactly? say ok thats fine? or rip them limb from limb as people have been suggesting above.
I think you're confusing legality with your morals. :)

Thulsa Doom

Gato_Solo said:
So...by your definition, if I think of killing someone, then I'm a murderer, whether I act upon that impulse or not. A paedophile, by definition, is a person who has sex with a child/children. Not a person who thinks about it. I don't think I'm the one with a problem about that definition. There is no slope if no laws are broken. No act...no crime. Simple.

no no yer mixing apples and oranges. A pedophile is An adult who is sexually attracted to a child or children according to the dictionary. this is directly parallel to what a homosexual is or what a heterosexual is. you do NOT let me repeat that you do NOT need to actually rape a kid to be a pedophile. if you actually go out and rape a kid then yes you are equivilent to a murderer. because you acted on the impulse. but pedophiles are everywhere. just as homosexuals are. that was my original point.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Thulsa Doom said:
no no yer mixing apples and oranges. A pedophile is An adult who is sexually attracted to a child or children according to the dictionary. this is directly parallel to what a homosexual is or what a heterosexual is. you do NOT let me repeat that you do NOT need to actually rape a kid to be a pedophile. if you actually go out and rape a kid then yes you are equivilent to a murderer. because you acted on the impulse. but pedophiles are everywhere. just as homosexuals are. that was my original point.

True, but thoughts and actions are 2 different things, which was my point. Apples and apples. Once an act is commited, then and only then do you have a crime.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I would hope that the crime can be prevented and that would require recognizing the symptoms....If only it were that easy...:(

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Squiggy said:
I would hope that the crime can be prevented and that would require recognizing the symptoms....If only it were that easy...:(

100% agreement Squiggy. It would be nice to live in a crime-free world, but we don't, and I doubt we ever will. Judging someone on their thoughts, however morbid those thoughts are, would also, IMO, be criminal. Think of how many times any one of us has thought about doing something criminal, but didn't follow through...I'll wait, because some of us are either more jaded, or older, than we are...

Now consider each thought a crime in and of itself. How many of us would be in jail, hoarding cigarettes on the off-chance we could buy ourselves out of an unpleasant experience? Dare I say all of us?

MrBishop

Squiggy said:

Shhh...you'll wake up big brother!

MrBishop

Gato_Solo said:
More along the lines of Minority Report...

Thoughtcrime.

Minority Report would mean that they were about to commit the crime. With 1984, just thinking about it would get you some re-education. That's double-plus-bad!

Urlysis

I'm sorry I don't really care if they can't find a place to live. You can't force someone to change. They only change when they want to. Doing time doesn't mean they are different. If they were hit by accident I do feel sorry for those individuals. But, how do we know which ones they are. We'll set up a federal instution for 'em in ummmm say BFE!!!!

freako104

also clockwork orange comes to mind. if anyone has read it you know what I am getting at. but thsi is why I am a psych major. i want to see why people do this shit and see if there is a way to stop it before it happens. though i know im only fooling myself