Pay using checks, put self-checkout machines out of business

HomeLAN

rrfield said:
I hate the Wal-Mart in my town (4 miles from my house)(note: I don't hate Wal-Mart the concept or the corporation, I hate this specific Wal-Mart). They installed the self-scan lanes, and sure enough every time I get in line to use the thing I get stuck behind the yokal who cannot figure out you have to scan the BAR CODE and not the PRICE TAG.

It's not Wal-fart's fault that your neighbors are fucking idiots. Don't feel alone, though, we've surely got our share as well.

Professur

HomeLAN said:
It's not Wal-fart's fault that your neighbors are fucking idiots. Don't feel alone, though, we've surely got our share as well.

Delicate as a train wreck, as usual.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I LOVE self checkout lines (what I don't love is writing a whole post the losing it)...the Fortinos here has them and I think I've been to a cashier once...I went to the self checkout at the A&P in Brampton one time and it was all different and it threw me off...I'm so used to the Fortinos ones...but yeah, I LOVE them! Sometimes I pay with my credit card just so I can sign the little screen :D

Inkara1

My signature on those pads resembles my actual signature about half the time. The rest of the time, I just consider it "good enough for government work" and move on. My signature always comes out better on the pads that have the signature box near the top of the screen, meaning I can rest the bottom of my hand under the screen instead of having to keep it in midair.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
My signature on those pads resembles my actual signature about half the time. The rest of the time, I just consider it "good enough for government work" and move on. My signature always comes out better on the pads that have the signature box near the top of the screen, meaning I can rest the bottom of my hand under the screen instead of having to keep it in midair.

You can rest your hand on the one at Fortinos

alex

My bank was recently bought out by a larger bank and of course, there were changes in the way they do business. I keep up with my accounts using Quicken home & business. I've never had any problems reconciling my accounts with the old bank. Here's the problem with the new bank.....

I eat lunch and put it on my debit card.

Waitress scans card and hands me receipt to sign for.....say $10.

I sign receipt for $10 and add $2 for tip.

Bank has $10 of my money on hold but receipt is for $12

I enter $12 in the Quicken register for lunch that day.

I reconcile my account ...say the day after....it's two dollars over!!!

I change the $12 dollars back to $10 in the Quicken register so the account will reconcile.

Couple of days later, I go to reconcile again and it's $2 short.

OK, the receipt for $12 must have gone thru.

I change the register entry back to $12.

This was 8-9 months ago, to this day, everytime I reconcile my account, Quicken warns me that an entry in the register has been changed after it was reconciled...THE HORROR. I tell it to ignore it but it just keeps coming back....it won't go away *twitches

ekahs retsam

PowerballWinner said:
Ever been to Wal-Mart or K-Mart or Home Depot? Ever seen those self-checkout lanes where customers just slide their merchandise over a scanner and the machine's computer automatically calculates how much the item costs? Those machines take jobs away from workers. Don't use them. Go to a human clerk. Pay using a check if possible. Spread the word about this.

That is such a complete load of crap...

I know people who work there and they still have the same amount of people working the lanes as they did before. The increased sales per hour is more than enough to pay for the equipment in less than a year with no job loss. Plus, it hires tech. jobs for support!!!

Checks are the most rediculous form of payment possible, use debit cards and decrease both the time you are there and the time per check-out.

Dave

i use the debit card for everything.
i also go right for the self-check lanes too. i am way too impatient to stand in line behind a bunch of people paying by check with no ID's.
except if i find a few movies at Wal-Mart. it is way too much of a hassle getting someone to clear them past the self-checks.

Inkara1

The self check-out machine is supposed to deactivate the Sensormatic tags automatically. Supposed to being the key words.

rrfield

HomeLAN said:

That's why I hate THAT wal-mart. The patrons are primarily meth-addicts, welfare queens, white southern indiana gangsta wannabes and idiots in general. The other wal-mart I spoke of is frequented by rednecks, good ol' boys and their old ladies - generally intelligent people who happen to like NASCAR, deer hunting and low prices on laundry detergent.

Aunty Em

We've got self-scan lanes in my Tesco store where I do my grocery shopping. I never use them, they don't pack my bags or carry them to the car for me.

Sometimes being disabled has it's perks. ;)

I get to jump queues too and park in annoying places... and I no longer feel guilty every time I use the parking badge cos it has my mug on it... :D

Altron

What annoys me are the weight sensors that make sure you put it in the bag. It's a horrible theft deterrent. If you wanted to steal something, you could put it on the shelf or something, and not put it into the bag until you paid for the other stuff. All it does is tell me "Please put the item into the bad.". Let's see. An eight foot two-by-four and a tiny thing plastic bag. Not happening.

Inkara1

That would be why you put the too-large-for-a-bag item onto the shelf next to the bags instead of in the bags... and don't lean on that part of the machine because everything to the left of the scanner is part of the scale.

Dave

Inkara1 said:
The self check-out machine is supposed to deactivate the Sensormatic tags automatically. Supposed to being the key words.
it'll deactivate the sensors, but an employee has to enter a code in the machine to verify that i'm only taking the ones i've paid for.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i don't think the self-checkout machines are really meant for someone trying to buy big crap like lumber; they're for people like me who just need a dremel bit and don't want to stand in line behind the guy with the lumber