Phrase trivia

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Ok, I am bored, so here is the game, first person (me first I guess) says a phrase used in common language, and you (or whoever is bored enough to play) posts where they think it comes from.

Yellow Journalism

AlphaTroll

Comes from the second world war, when pens and ink were in short supply. Journalists would employ a small siamese cat, which was fed only yellowtail and laxatives. This ensured there was always an ample amount of yellow 'ink' for the journo's use. It was not an uncommon sight seeing a journalist strutting about town with a pen in one hand and upside down cat on the other arm.

The practice was stopped once authorities realised that the cats were starting to enjoy the deal way too much.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
AlphaTroll said:
Comes from the second world war, when pens and ink were in short supply. Journalists would employ a small siamese cat, which was fed only yellowtail and laxatives. This ensured there was always an ample amount of yellow 'ink' for the journo's use. It was not an uncommon sight seeing a journalist strutting about town with a pen in one hand and upside down cat on the other arm.

The practice was stopped once authorities realised that the cats were starting to enjoy the deal way too much.

uhmmmm

no

AlphaTroll

They send cheques now? Aren't they supposed to just clean out....I mean fill up...yeah fill up, that's it...your bank account?

Mare

in 1898, newspapers provided the major source of news in America. At this time, it was common practice for a newspaper to report the editor's interpretation of the news rather than objective journalism. If the information reported was inaccurate or biased, the American public had little means for verification. With this sort of influence, the newspapers wielded much political power. In order to increase circulation, the publishers of these papers often exploited their position by sponsoring a flamboyant and irresponsible approach to news reporting that became known as "yellow journalism." Though the term was originally coined to describe the journalistic practices of Joseph Pulitzer, William Randolph Hearst proved himself worthy of the title. Today, it is his name that is synonymous with "yellow journalism."

Inkara1

If I'd seen this thread sooner I could have answered it from memory. That's one of the joys of being a journalism major... and I'm white, not yellow. :D Some say the Spanish-American War was purely caused by yellow journalism.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
you guys are getting close, you have what it means, and who started it

but WHY is it called yellow journalism?????

(it's right in the wikpedia article...)