Power supply question

fury said:
It's probably more just a way to get a reading for your PSU fans. The PSU fan is most likely connected and controlled internally. If it were a temperature controlled fan, you'd definitely notice it as soon as you turned on your PC (most of them start out spinning at 100% then after a second or two, slow down to an almost silent level).

Its just a way to get the rpm reading, the the temp gauge is internal to the psu, so it won't matter if its connected to the rpm header or not, it'll be electronically controlled by the psu.

Justintime said:
Its just a way to get the rpm reading, the the temp gauge is internal to the psu, so it won't matter if its connected to the rpm header or not, it'll be electronically controlled by the psu.

Yes I realised that having read the review. I actually didn't read any reviews before buying the psu, I was looking for what I needed - at least a 400w dual fan psu with an on/off switch on the back at a reasonable price. Due to a severe lack of power sockets in my bedroom I need the switch to turn the comp off at night as the surge protector has to stay live for the cable modem. I got this for just over £36 inc s&h from a site that sells at trade prices to the public. I was going by the Thermaltake name being a good one and it seems I was right. :)

:confuse3: How do you do that exactly? I mean, I've seen the Shut down thing, but I thought that was for adding drives or memory or stuff.

Justintime said:
you..you.. turn your puter off? :eek:

Silence is beautiful... especially when you're trying to sleep! I always shutdown my computers at night... even a 20 dBa fan carries a long way here... as I may have indicated, I am HIGHLY sensitive to noise. :D :p

My PSU doesn't have a switch on the back, but I shut down the computer at night with the Windows 2000 shut down command that's easily accessable from the Start menu. If I need to cut the power to the PSU to change a component or something, I just unplug the cord from the back of the power supply.

Yes, leaving it plugged in at all while changing a component, you're at a higher risk of frying something. I've seen PSU's turn themselves on or attempt to, even when they were switched off. I think with ATX PSU's that's more of a standby mode than an off mode.

Wll there's definately no power getting through with the switch off or the lights would be on on the mobo - one advantage of having a side window. I always unplug it when messing around inside though - having experience 230 volts as a 6 yo I prefer NOT to do it again. Fortunately I was thrown off the wire not stuck to it, or I might not be here to talk about it. :)

Back