Quitting the ol' Cancer-sticks

MrBishop

Good day boys and girls. (I have to say that now, because I sure as hell won't be this polite over the next few days).

I'm quitting.
Smoking, that is
and I need advice/help/threats of violence to help me on my merry way.
Anyone else quit? Advice?!?!

I've been puffin' for about 6 years now...since my divorce, and the missus is getting sick of it. I'd rather NOT get sick of it, ya know?

So....I'm waiting:evilsmok: ----------> :cool4:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Go buy some stock in the Wrigleys company. Then go stock up on Wrigleys gum. Every time you feel like a smoke, have a piece of gum. That helps some.

The first few days are the hardest on your body, but the habit will stick in your mind for years, or at least that's what I've been told.

MrBishop

Gum...yeah, I've heard about it, that and carrot sticks, and celery etc...something about oral-fixations. Freudian but it might help. Thanks for that PT>

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
quitting smoking is 99% a mental issue; the habit is the evil thing we're talking about...

just make sure you've got something else to do if you want to smoke, like chewing gum, or even putting a straw in your mouth...it helps, i know.

and i'm clean for 1.5 months now...

greenfreak

Hopefully HomeLAN will see this and respond. He's been quit since February.

I just did it cold turkey and didn't bother with the gum, nicorette or otherwise, or patches or anything. But I did really want to quit at that point and I think that's the most important thing. If you really have the will, you'll do it. For good.

I did do something unconciously that I thought helped a little though. I always had rubber bands around my wrists at work and I would constantly play with them. I still do it, although I can't recall doing it before I smoked.

Dave

i quit 10 years ago. i was down to 2 ppd when i finally gave up. i was at 3 for about a year or two prior to that. for the first few months, i was always chewing on plastic coffee stirrers. after i got sick of the taste of plastic, i was able to stop that. still have the rare day when the smell of cigarette smoke makes me want to have one, but it has gotten increasingly easier to ignore those cravings.
BTW, i quit cold turkey. i read in "dear abby" that the next day was "national smoke-out day" and thought it was a good idea so i threw the smokes away.

stick with it. you'll feel a lot better.

Dave

greenfreak said:
I always had rubber bands around my wrists at work and I would constantly play with them. I still do it, although I can't recall doing it before I smoked.

with me its pens. i hold them like a smoke and twirl the cap with my fingers.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I quit almost 4 years ago, another tip is to DO NOT think that just one cigarrete (or inhale) won't affect your quitting.

chcr

Too cute for words
I quit three years ago, but I smoked a pipe, not cigarettes. Still miss it sometimes. I still chew a lot of gum, the sugar-free, good for your teeth kind. My teeth are definitely whiter. Make sure you have something else to divert your attention at times when you would have normally had a cigarette. Luis is right, too. One cigarette means you haven't quit yet.

MrBishop

Thanks all....doesn't sound easy...my problem is that I quit for a few days and fall back, then quit and fall back etc...ad nauseum.

It's affecting everything that I think about and I havn't even re-tried it yet. Can't stand the way it makes me feel to quit...can't even visualize myself quit...pain in the ass, really!

Thanks again.

Aunty Em

MrBishop said:
Gum...yeah, I've heard about it, that and carrot sticks, and celery etc...something about oral-fixations. Freudian but it might help. Thanks for that PT>

Pens are good... I don't think there's a pen in the house that isn't chewed and I gave up 20 years ago... you'll get out of the habit eventually, just keep saying NO, and think of all the things you can do with the money you save... ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Shadowfax said:
the habit is the evil thing

Can I have an AMEN!!!!

If you get past the first 72 hours, you've got it beat (physically)

All I can say is good luck & don't restart.

PrincessLissa

Good luck with your journey! I quit cold turkey and never really looked back.

My grandaddy carried straws around with him and would "smoke" them. It took him a while but he had about 35 years or so of smoking to overcome. That might work for ya. ;)

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i wonder if quitting would be any easier if you had a 300lb thug sock you in the gut every time you reached for the pack?

good luck bish!