Quitting the ol' Cancer-sticks

AlphaTroll

unclehobart said:
Its not that we are anti-salad. We are a very maleable culture and can exist well within local cultural guidlines of cuisine. If salad is the norm, then salad it is. The availablity of meats, prepared foods, fatty stuff and the like is rather cheap here as compared to the rather expensive Euro markets. Eating habits always tend to follow price and availability. Just think of Argentina... It is the beef producing monolith of the Earth. It is cheap and available. As a result, beef consumption is about triple what it would be here.

Bru, we have possibly one of the widest ranges of meat products available and it's quite cheap - we never have a shortage of meat. South Africans are huge meateaters (but I do think the consumption of red meat has gone down in recent years, in favour of fish, pork and chicken. Also we eat a lot of ostrich, which has more protein than beef and less fat than chicken). It's just in Summer it's too damned hot to cook, so we make a range of different salads, sometimes adding cold meats and cheeses and that would be dinner.

BoP - I have yummie recipes for a few of them cold soups, from tomato to cucumber and even a spicy watermelon number. I quite enjoy them too :)

Inkara1

Gonz said:
BBQ is different. Grilling doesn't need sauce.
Neither does barbecue if you cook the meat right (and the way I speak of is indeed barbecue... you cook with oak wood and control the heat by turning the crank to raise or lower the grill, with no cover over it... plus, as an added bonus most of those kind of barbecue grills have a trailer hitch, tires, lights and a license plate).

catocom

AlphaTroll said:
So if you guys are opposed to salads, what exactly do you have with a BBQ? Just meat?
depends on if it's supper, or lunch :D
If a full meal supper, yeah, but it's ...Potato salad, and some Bake-beans topped with Bacon.
If for a quick lunch...a bun.

AlphaTroll

In our case it's meat with green salads, pasta or potato salads and grilled corn on the cob or toasties (zarmies that's filled with cheese, tomato & onion - we bind it with string to keep together and put it on the grill to toast).

Damn, I am getting really hungry now.

catocom

It just hasn't been bad this time for me so far... I keep waiting for the other
shoe to drop, but.... :confused:
The only time I really even think about it is when I see a cig, or ashtray, but
like I said, the next thing that come to mind is my chest.
It might be tougher I guess mentally if/when the doc give my a clearer bill or
health. I'll have to stay on guard then maybe.???

Professur

By then the nic is outta your system, and it's only the habit you have to guard against. And the simplest way of dealing with that is simply don't have any cigs around to smoke.

catocom

"Habit" tell me 'bout it...
Yesterday I was walking through the kitchen, and there was a half a cig
in an ashtray......I got out into the shop, and notice I had it in my hand,
and was looking for a lighter, then thought WTF! I don't even remember picking it up! :eyepop:
Said duck promptly went to the can.
That shit was scary! :alienhuh:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
For awhile, at least, do everyting in your power to not have them in the house at all. Empty all ashtrays into the outside trash can & ask family to be kind.

It was 2 years CHrtistmastime for me. You can do it.

Professur

catocom said:
"Habit" tell me 'bout it...
Yesterday I was walking through the kitchen, and there was a half a cig
in an ashtray......I got out into the shop, and notice I had it in my hand,
and was looking for a lighter, then thought WTF! I don't even remember picking it up! :eyepop:
Said duck promptly went to the can.
That shit was scary! :alienhuh:

A guy I used to work with (I was shipping, he was security) came in to work one day, all down in the mouth. He'd been standing on the subway platform, and after about 20seconds waiting, he popped a cig into his mouth and lit it. Completely from reflex ... hadn't a clue he'd done it .... right up untip the cops pulled him aside and wrote him up. $300 fine (over 15 years ago) for sparking up in an unauthorized zone.

catocom

Gonz said:
For awhile, at least, do everything in your power to not have them in the house at all. Empty all ashtrays into the outside trash can & ask family to be kind.
Yeah, right...
My brother doesn't care if I live or die. He's uncooperative, and a complete waste of space.
I guess I can stay in my room, or outside, at the lab, or barn, most all the time,
and avoid the other areas as much as possible.
I have been doing that some, but not making a major effort.
I really need to, I think, just get way most serious about this whole thing.
I really was hoping it was some weird flute temp thing, but it's really looking more and more
like it's not something to frigg with.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
A swift kick in the ass thru an open door could solve many of your problems, Cat. (his, not yours)