Quote marks in Shoutbox

MrBishop

" and it's band of merry fucked-up replacements for basic characters like the quote mark. I was wondering if we can do something to stop the program from replacing quote marks with code in the shoutbox.

:toast: Thanks

Professur

It's never worked, remember. The shoutbox is a hack someone made, and it's unsupported. fluffy would have to rewrite the code to solve it.

Professur

I don't think it's to box itself. It's interference with other hacks that are loaded. fluffly knows all about it already.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
it is probably just a matter of correcting a call to htmlentities() or htmlspecialchars() and set double_encode to false, so that characters already encoded are not encoded twice.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I don't think I can edit the code, that should be done via ssh.

But after doing a test in the shoutbox, I'm confident that the problem is on the lines of what I posted previously.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Fixed...that was really bugging the shit outta me, found it in the most unlikely place... it had an EXTRA htmlspecialchars_uni() call in vbshout.php, just before calling vBulletin's bb code parser...which has its own htmlspecialchars_uni() call to strip out HTML entities... htmlspecialchars_uni() being a special function written by some random vBulletin developer because they could :retard:

yay for vBulletin using custom functions that I couldn't find with an easy search! :beerbang:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Can you believe the ass-reaming they're trying to pull off for the vBulletin 4 upgrade? We're going to have to pay to upgrade...whether or not our owned licenses are current. And even those renewals cost $60 a pop now.

That's why these boards are still at 3.6...not gonna throw $180 away (3 boards...) only to be told in a few months "hey, great, thanks for spending your paycheck on us last month! BTW, vBulletin 4 is out now! Give us another $300!" or whatever price they decide on.

MrBishop

It's one hellova program for BBSing with, but they fail to understand that boards are dying off slowly but surely, all over the web... match that with the free BBS programs out there, and they're effectively trying to price themselves out of a market.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Don't worry about it, my friend, you and all the rest have contributed more than your fair share over the years. I will figure out how to get it paid for when the time comes. Until the need arises for the renewals/upgrades, anything I get in my PayPal account I can't guarantee will go to that purpose. eBay sales, rent payments, & gas guzzling goes on via my PayPal card, due to the cash back...and then when I need to pay something for real, like renewing licenses to upgrade the sites, and I fall short, I feel like a shithead. So, I don't want to do that anymore.

The three sites actually could get upgraded to 3.8.1, as that was when the last renewals expired. Amazed I even managed to find the customer login to check on the licenses. Dontcha feel comfortable with me holding the reigns? :lloyd: