Radio interference/noise

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Through my speakers, it's been like that for a long time, but it seems that the station increased their power and the interference in my speakers is very audible now, it'd seem like the speakers tuned the damn station :mad:

It doesn't matter if the puter is on or off, as well as it doesn't matter if i turn up or down the volume in the speaker set, the volume of the interference is constant, also, it seems to affect only the left channel.

Is there a workaround?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Move the receiver then. The AM band comes in waves & a few inches (or feet) may help.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Gonz said:
This is thru your computer speakers?

Yes, cambridge pcworks, the weirdest thing is that it receives interference from an FM station :confuse3:

I searched hwc forums and found something about tinfoil, is it something like aluminium?, does anyone know if it works?

chcr

Too cute for words
Luis G said:
Yes, cambridge pcworks, the weirdest thing is that it receives interference from an FM station :confuse3:

I searched hwc forums and found something about tinfoil, is it something like aluminium?, does anyone know if it works?

They mean aluminum foil, Luis. AM and FM both travel in waves, it's the wavelength that makes FM less susceptible to interference. If the station is close enought and powerful enough, it really doesn't matter which it is. Try the aluminum foil trick, it may work. Try Gonz's suggestion of moving the speakers too. If you can move them a few inches and the signal changes, it's coming through the speaker wires (probably). If the signal doesn't change, your sound card may be picking it up. I had to fix one wall of my home studio because the pre-amp in one of my guitars picks up a radio signal from that direction. A little methodical expirimentation will sort the problem. :)