Recession? We don' need no steenkeen recession!

Professur

I went out to dinner last Thursday night. I'll bet there were less than a dozen people in the restaurant. The parking lot at the mall never looks more than half full. :shrug:

Christmas is gonna be the real watermark. Back in my youth, I worked for a nation wide chain of stores selling jewellery and high value collectibles and china. Over 70% of our annual sales were associated with the christmas rush. At one point, I joked that they could close the store for the summer 6 months and make more money than staying open. Noone found it in the least bit funny.

January will tell whether there will be a recovery, or not.

chcr

Too cute for words
Folks have been living off dividends for a while now. An artificially high market does that. I wonder how many people have more than $100. in their actual "savings" account.

:wave:

Christmas is gonna be the real watermark. Back in my youth, I worked for a nation wide chain of stores selling jewellery and high value collectibles and china. Over 70% of our annual sales were associated with the christmas rush. At one point, I joked that they could close the store for the summer 6 months and make more money than staying open. Noone found it in the least bit funny.

January will tell whether there will be a recovery, or not.
Seems unlikely to me that there will be one by then. Of course, I'm of the opinion that either of the major candidates "plans" for addressing the situation is more likely to make it worse than better. There is a lot more going on than the stock market fluctuation.

catocom

along with other news, fall crops are getting to the store now with the lower gas prices. :glasses:

9265.43 +413.21 / +4.67% Oct 20

jimpeel

Gas prices continue to plummet. They are fast approaching prices of one year ago.

Regular Gasoline Average Prices

Today _________2.883
Yesterday ______2.899
One Week ago __3.136
One Month ago __3.715
One Year ago ___2.761

catocom

well they can't say the problem is credit freezing any more.
I just got 6 places wanting me to re-fi, but at a slightly worse rate than I have now.
(in the snail mail)

wonder what they'll blame next.

MrBishop

ch.gaschart

jimpeel

Alternative energy is in the tank due to the fall in oil prices.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/21/business/21energy.html?_r=2&th&emc=th&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Alternative Energy Suddenly Faces Headwinds

HOUSTON — For all the support that the presidential candidates are expressing for renewable energy, alternative energies like wind and solar are facing big new challenges because of the credit freeze and the plunge in oil and natural gas prices.

Shares of alternative energy companies have fallen even more sharply than the rest of the stock market in recent months. The struggles of financial institutions are raising fears that investment capital for big renewable energy projects is likely to get tighter.

Advocates are concerned that if the prices for oil and gas keep falling, the incentive for utilities and consumers to buy expensive renewable energy will shrink. That is what happened in the 1980s when a decade of advances for alternative energy collapsed amid falling prices for conventional fuels.

<more>

A.B.Normal

No worries

Just as Americans are finally beginning to reap the benefits of plunging gasoline prices — including more money in their pockets — OPEC is getting ready to squeeze them once again by cutting oil production and driving up prices to refineries.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,442343,00.html

jimpeel

nope. there's no recession.

There sure as Hell wasn't one when this thread was started back on April 30, 2008! They had to "discover" one in 2009 after Obama's immaculation to make it so. What was your point in dredging this thing up after in excess of three years?

catocom

along with other news, fall crops are getting to the store now with the lower gas prices. :glasses:

9265.43 +413.21 / +4.67% Oct 20

yes, lets take a look....

market was down 3000 points, making 401s not so good, but....
food prices were down as well.

This followed the gas price hikes, just like of late.
The deficit was several trillion less.

since then SS has had No yearly cost of living increase.

Property values have not come back yet even with all the so called stumulas spending.

Unemployment has not gotten better.

What good has come since then???
Osama was killed.
That's it.
That's is all.

2minkey

bootlicker
There sure as Hell wasn't one when this thread was started back on April 30, 2008! They had to "discover" one in 2009 after Obama's immaculation to make it so. What was your point in dredging this thing up after in excess of three years?

i don't recall why i bumped this. but, you were wrong jim. just plain wrong.

discover a recession? that's just soooooooo retarded dude. see there's this thing about economics - it tends to reflect certain obvious patterns. no one needed to discover this recession. it was there, and its onset was pretty obvious. i realize it makes you feel clever to be dismissive of 'the fears of others' but this time, well, you really seem like head-in-the-sand guy.

stick to fag-bashing. you're better at that kinda baser-type stuff.

jimpeel

The recession was an invention of the press who kept screaming "Recession!" even when there wasn't one. You, and most other Americans, were simply talked into it. At the time of the posting of this thread there had not been two quarters of NEGATIVE growth. There had been reduced growth but never NEGATIVE growth which is the definition of a recession.

Just because they found one after Obama was in office does not mean there was one when this thread was started. You can wish it, but history is not on your side. You will have to go to the revisionist history books for this one.