Reef Tank

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I got a reef tank today! I am so excited! I bought it from a guy who already had it established so it's full of all kinds of awesome corals. I need to organize the tank still, it's a mess right now. Pics will come soon.

Who else here has tanks? Fresh or salt water? Any favourite tank inhabitants?

I have a sea urchin, I love him. I also have some baby starfish, I need to find them all so I can get some out of the tank and give them to other people...otherwise as they get bigger they'll kill each other. I don't think they like being in a tank with so many other stars of their own kind (they're only about 5-8mm across right now).

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
You could never put a lion fish in with those other fish...he'd eat them.

Dave

I've only got the three fresh water tanks. Once one of the tanks dies off, I'll try my hand at a salt water tank.
I've got mostly tetras and gouramis in the small tanks with convict cichlids in the 50 gal.
I do like the cichlids. They are tough fish. They've survived a couple tank breakdowns that have killed off the other tank mates.

Professur

A buddy I work with builds tanks on the side ... big salt water ones. He's building right now one that's 1300G.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Turns out the "baby starfish" are actually mostly full grown, asexual, coral eaters. They are being evicted as we speak. My reading indicates they eat the base of corals and that they multiply like rabbits...except that they actually multiply, they split in half.

Mirlyn

We have a 55g freshwater. Tetras, glass catfish, danios, a single gold molly (never again), corys (named Hoover, Dyson and Blissel), and an african frog.

Its time to restock. We'd like a snail, but too scared to try it. We're also slowly replacing the plastic plants with real ones.

tonksy

I bought the class aquarium 2 snails and a plecostamus (sp?). They do a fair job of cleaning up.

JTP

Back in college (1980's) my roomate and I had an amphiuma in an aquarium. Now, that was a weird critter. It ate all our goldfish and anything else we put in, including crawfish. We finally released the voracious monster into Lake Seminole. It's probably 9 feet long and bulletproof by now.

Mirlyn

I bought the class aquarium 2 snails and a plecostamus (sp?). They do a fair job of cleaning up.

Thread inspired me to restock tonight. :D

One gold inca snail, one chineese algae eater, four blue gouramis (replacing the previous dwarfs; victims of the mollies), and four serpae tetras.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I have hermit crabs. Will get some emerald crabs once the tank gets more settled...they're sensitive little creatures.

Mare

I got a reef tank today! I am so excited! I bought it from a guy who already had it established so it's full of all kinds of awesome corals. I need to organize the tank still, it's a mess right now. Pics will come soon.

Who else here has tanks? Fresh or salt water? Any favourite tank inhabitants?

I have a sea urchin, I love him. I also have some baby starfish, I need to find them all so I can get some out of the tank and give them to other people...otherwise as they get bigger they'll kill each other. I don't think they like being in a tank with so many other stars of their own kind (they're only about 5-8mm across right now).

Where's the Picture's Tonks?

MrBishop

Currently running only one tank...40gal. We recently had a death in the tank. Our pleco finally breathed his last. Thing was 12 years old and had survived electrocution.. damn big (9" long). I've got to clean the tank again..even though it'll piss off the crawdad.

CrawdadThumb.jpg