Republicans get called out for conflating reconciliation with the "nuclear option".

spike

Rachel Maddow calls out the Republicans for saying that Democrats passing the health reform bill through reconciliation is the same as the nuclear option. And as she notes, they are more than well aware that they are lying since they constantly threatened to use the nuclear option and change the rules of the Senate when they wanted to get Bush's judicial appointments confirmed.

Maddow: What's going on here is a deliberate attempt on the part of Republicans to define nuclear down -- to conflate these two totally separate things to demonize the way that Democrats have to pass health reform right now. By calling it the nuclear option even though the nuclear option is a real thing in the Senate, and this isn't that -- it has nothing to do with that. Perhaps the reason that Republicans are so unwilling to call this what it is, reconciliation is because they have a really long record of using reconciliation.

As Rachel notes budget reconciliation is how the health care system has been formed in the United States already and Republicans used reconciliation to pass the Bush tax cuts, twice. And it's been used to pass things like COBRA and SCHIP. No sooner did I turn her show off tonight and guess who was helping conflate the term reconciliation with the nuclear option? You've got it... ClusterFox.

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/heather/rachel-maddow-calls-out-republicans-and-me

Hypocrisy is alive and well in the U.S. Senate.

The Democrats should have all the senators go to the podium and name those who supported the same thing when it served their purposes.

MrBishop

Re: Republicans get called out for conflating reconciliation with the "nuclear option

Give the lady a prize!

catocom

Re: Republicans get called out for conflating reconciliation with the "nuclear option

yep, it's somewhat hypocritical on the Rep.s part.
BUT
there again...
"Two wrongs, don't make a right"
except in a certain math equations.

So where's the "Change"?

spike

I haven't seen open discussions like Obama's visit to the GOP and yesterdays healthcare summit before. There should be more of this change.

catocom

Any type of discussion, just don't mean a whole lot, without real consideration.

If that all we're gonna get on this end, it's sad.
Show it all.

Some on the Dem side wanted to say what "the people want" that "most don't care".
BS, Lets see it!
We want More. We want it All.

valkyrie

Here's how I see the Health Care bill.
Republicans were upset that they were no longer the majority. They had enjoyed this advantage, politically, for a long time and were unhappy with giving it up. Instead of working on this health care bill, they spent their energy trying to make up full out lies about what it contained (i.e., "death panels"). They bet that the public would believe them and turn to their side. They bet wrong. Time is now up and the Dems could push the bill through with a majority and a signature. The Republicans now claim they want to work on the bill together with the Dems: "can we have a do-over!?"

Well now it's too late. It was a brilliant political move to bring the cameras into this reconciliation because the public could see that the Republicans had nothing at all to contribute. How could they? They've spent all their energies fighting the inevitable.

What I do not like about this bill is that it forces the public to buy health insurance from the private sector without offering a public option. Forced to give private companies money... by law.