Sam, Fury And Other Technical Web Designers™

Toolbox™

Sam, Fury And Other Technical Web Designers™

I need your help guys. I am going to attempt to build a website similar to what you guys have over at XiBase. Don't worry, I am not going to be competition! I am building it for a propective client who's interests include cameras and photography.

Right now, they have a simple e-mail based message board where they e-mail the group and have replies sent to them personally. No one else can see these messages so all the replies goes unoticed for other users. Who knows how many of these messages could have held important information for other users and how many times the same question is asked. This small community is private and I still don't know if they want this to go public.

What I need to know is how much work goes into this and how much it costs.

I have the basic breakdown, please let me know if there are other charges that I am not yet aware of:

vBulletin System: US$160.00 Owned
Setup vBulletin: US$135.00 1-time setup fee
ReadyHosting MySQL Server: US$149.00 1st year, US$99.00 succeeding years
Web Design: US$2,500.00 My company will build the site

I was thinking of building an ASP based site where I can insert reviews for the users if they for example, buy a new camera or lense and want to write about. The site needs to be simple. One I can administrate completely and single-handedly.

Xibase has the perfect criteria I am looking for. Simple and attractive design. Contents will just be reviews and articles in the main page and a forum for the users. If later, they want an e-com based site where they can sell things is a different question.

Understand that all of the users in this private forum should be able to submit theirs reviews to me, the administrator and I should be able to put it up in minutes. Is that how you guys do it?

And on the side of making money... how do these sites generate revenue? Advertising is one, membership fee is another. But what really drives you guys in doing this... I want to show incentive since a project like this starts out at US$3,000.00.

Looking forward to getting started guys.

Please let me know if you can help.

My deepest regards,

Inaki C. Matute
Toolbox™

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
vbulletin is still better than phpBB, but i bet things will change in the next major release of phpbb.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
It's very possible to have a moderated reviews section with vBulletin. I don't think you need to buy the install, it's easy to do it on your own, all you have to know is database username/pass, hostname, and database name.

Also, you don't necessarily need the front-end to be ASP based. There are many PHP solutions out there that can be integrated into vBulletin and have it so you only need to use one control panel

B

Bubba

i don't agree with Luis. phpBB is free. phpBB is easier to make themes for. phpBB is less complicated in the admin panel. phpBB can handle a bbs with 70k users. phpBB can do anything that someone needs to have a popular bbs.

true, vbulletin has bells and whistles that phpBB doesn't have, but if i were going to start a board, i'd use phpBB

Luis G

Staff member
Of course, i would choose phpBB as well, i used to have it installed in my Linux hdd.

However, vBulletin has the "black dots", among other things that still makes it a better product from the user-side, i don't know about the admin side thou.

Jeslek

Banned
Luis G said:
Of course, i would choose phpBB as well, i used to have it installed in my Linux hdd.

However, vBulletin has the "black dots", among other things that still makes it a better product from the user-side, i don't know about the admin side thou.
black dots?

Oh and, ASP is just dandy for a front end. Very easy to use, no cryptic shit like PHP, and is quite fast and reliable. Couple it with an Oracle database on Sun Enterprise servers and you've got one sweet system. Front end is easy to use, easy to debug, and easy to design for. Backend is strong, reliable, and quite fast if you manage it correctly. :D

Luis G

Staff member
Black dots = the thing that indicates you have posted in a thread.

Luis G

Staff member
LastLegionary said:
huh? Why would I want that? I simply remember the threads I've posted in...

The fact that you don't use it doesn't mean it is not a nice feature that phpBB doesn't have.

ris

i use it and like it, but i have absolutely no idea how hard vbb is to set up and manage from the user end either.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
phpBB has crap for admin control, I just like it because it's faster than vBulletin (in my experience)... vBulletin's control panel is 10x the control panel in phpBB. Then again, Invision Board's control panel is 10x the control panel vBulletin has. But with vBulletin, you get guaranteed support and security fixes.