San Antonio,TX

Dave

We went there on vacation last week.
Nice city. The Riverwalk was by far my favorite part of the city. The river had a tendency to flood on a regular basis. The city wanted to just cover it and make it an underground aquaduct. A local engineer designed a flood control system and convinced the city to develop it as a tourist attraction. The river is below street level and is lined with hotels and restaurants/bars. There is a walkway on both sides with bridges to cross over. There are river tours and river taxis.

We also went to the Alamo, the zoo and some caverns just outside the city.

Most memorable event:
The last night we were there, we tried to go up river to see the bats. They roost near/under a bridge and attract large crowds each night when they fly out to feed. We caught one of the river taxis. A large group flagged our boat down and about 15 or so mentally retarded adults, all of whom spoke spanish, got on board. They were all yelling and waving at every group of people on the banks and hollering every time we went under a bridge to hear the echo. All their yelling got every one on the shores yelling. It was quite funny to witness.
A short while later, we were going around a bend in the river when another water taxi came around the the corner. Yup. We were in a boat accident. We were sitting up in the front where it hit. Low speed, no damage or injuries but it was a first.
Never made it to see the bats but we did get to parts of the river we hadn't seen earlier, got to watch a bunch of MR adults have a blast on the boat and got into an accident.

Link for some of the pictures, if your interested. Not many.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
San Antonio used to be the shits & the pits. It's come a long way in the last 30 years.

valkyrie

Didn't see it 30 years ago... but I have relatives there and I visit every so often.

Most people are shocked to see how small "The Alamo" is, but this is all that is left (the barracks and chapel).

chcr

Too cute for words
It wasn't really all that bad thirty years ago, Valkyrie. I have a cousin who lived there then. It is nicer now though.

valkyrie

Just over the past 10 years San Antonio has really been built up and developed. This has lead to one of their biggest problems, though: WATER.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Every desert communites trouble. It doesn't help when the folks from whatever midwestern or eastern state) bring a little piece of home (personal greenery that requires ten times the water than native plants)

chcr

Too cute for words
Every desert communites trouble. It doesn't help when the folks from whatever midwestern or eastern state) bring a little piece of home (personal greenery that requires ten times the water than native plants)

Yep.

valkyrie

San Antonio is not a desert community, but they do have water issues. Texas is in a drought.