"Scientific" creation.

Should creationism be taught as a scientific alternative to evolution in the schools?

• No! They should stop filling our childrens heads with this creation nonsense.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • No, they should keep religion out of the science curriculum.

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Yes, they are equally valid teories and should be taught equally.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Yes! They should stop filling our childrens heads with this evolution nonsense.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

chcr

Too cute for words
Watched a program recently on some town in Georgia putting it on their curriculum. Around here they teach it as a matter of course (I don't think they'd even teach evolution if they thought they could get away with it). Just curious what everyone around here thinks (my opinion should be obvious). I'm not going to put any big quotes up here but here and here are some information.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Evolution is a working scientific model and should be taught as THEORY. Creatonism is religion. One for school, one for home.

chcr

Too cute for words
Didn't you just reduce your poll question to moot ?
No, the fact that it's a fact hasn't noticeably changed people's opinions on the matter as far as I can see. Wait a while, see who answers.

Professur

Personally, I don't see any problem believing both. Reading Genesis with the fact that it's been translated many times, often by people with little scientific background, it's easy to draw the parallels with science. The first day pretty well describes creation. Separating the dark and the light. Pretty good description of the ignition of a solar system, no?

I figure either the original author was told the whole thing by someone who did have an understanding of it, or the original author did understand it all, but the meaning got lost in translations.

chcr

Too cute for words
Personally, I don't see any problem believing both.
Point is, when they teach it in the schools, they teach it as literal. And no, I don't personally agree that it's a very good descriptoin of the ignition of a solar system (Point in your favor, my wife agrees with you).

Are you hoping that The Pope will post?
The pope already believes in evolution.:D

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I don't think that anythin regarding religion should be taught in school.

Unless of course it is a religious school, but other than that they shouldn't do it, especially goverment ones.

as a note, goverment schools in here do not teach anything related to any religion, it is written in the Constitution.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I'm one for creationism-evolution. We had to evolve from something which had to be created somehow.

If we were completely created from scratch by God, then why are we so hateful? Unless of course God is a teenager that just likes experimenting with stuff, he wouldn't have made us so screwed up.

If we were evolved from something, where did it come from? Did it just appear out of thin air? Not likely...

Thus, I assume God created the building blocks for apes which turned into us after a couple stages of evolution.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I don't think the religon should be taught in schools, but I do think evolution should. As a theory. Regardless of whether it's fact or not, it will clash with several religons, and should not directly contridict them.

chcr

Too cute for words
Becuase then you are teaching that religon is wrong, which in a sense, is teaching religon.
Well, I don't agree, but then I wouldn't. I think you're teaching that religion sometimes speaks in generalisms and parables, and is not always to be taken literally. Remember, I'm an atheist, my views on the matter are suspect at best. That's one of the reasons I started this thread, to see what other people think. Gotta go watch R. Lee and Mail Call.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Everything about God or Gods or Jesus, et al, doesn't necessarily have to be associated with religion. If that were the case anyone who would believe in Jesus would be Jewish because that's what he himself was. Religion is basically a group of people following prewritten beliefs anyway, it should be taught in schools that you don't have to be in a religion, you could believe in God or Gods on your own free will without the strings attached such as having to cut your balls off and/or give up sex and meat for 40 days out of the year. (DISCLAIMER: NOTICE I DID NOT ATTACK THOSE BELIEFS AT ALL, I AM MERELY STATING AS AN EXAMPLE THAT THOSE BELIEFS ARE OPTIONAL AND I AM ONLY MAKING AN ATTEMPT AT GETTING MY POINT ACROSS)

With that in mind, creationism-evolution could simply be taught as one of the theories of how we got here, not necessarily as being based on fact, or being a fact itself, but an idea that the student can choose to take in and come to his/her own conclusion. Just like evolution is taught now, only it has some evidence behind it.

Professur

IMHO religion should be taught in school. Sunday school. Anyone not wanting to learn religion shouldn't attend.

chcr

Too cute for words
According to Hawaiians, we evolved from slime -> corals -> fishes -> etc ...
Didn't know that. Is there a website where I could read more about it?