Scorching hunks of protein.

Professur

Alrighty, the propane BBQ at the lake looks like ... hell. It's old, it's grotty, and noone's really thrilled about eating anything out of it ... so, I'm considering a replacement ... and I'm thinking old skool. I've got my eye on two different possibilities. One being an offset horizontal smoker style, and the other being a Barbecook
http://www.barbecook.com/en/tips/index.asp

The smoker style reviews say that anything under $500 and you're throwing good meat after bad money. The cheap ones are made of metal too thin to hold and balance the heat. But I've also read many posts about quick fixes that can bring them more in line with the more costly models. After that, it'll do a fair job over a few hours turning out 'to die for' BBQ.

The Barbecook has a few features that I do like, specifically a protective knock over 'kill switch' where the foot is full of water to extinguish hot coals.

Then there the old Webber kettle and Hibachi to consider. I'm looking for input and educated opinions, please. I'm sure I'm not the only carnivore with a love for cow and pig.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
PROF DARLING!

I have a WeberQ and I love it. I know you're not looking for propane (which mine is) but there is a Weber Char Q available as well. I love finally being able to grill :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'm a diehard Weber charcoal man m'self. We cook year-round in one. My folks had one & I'm on my second. I'd never be without one.

HOWEVER...

I've been looking at some variation of this for slightly larger cookouts. The grill raises/lowers. Cast iron grates. That particular one is a possibility but we're still investigating.

Inkara1

My dad has a Weber kettle and stuff turns out REALLY REALLY GOOD. Especially the thanksgiving turkey. It's awesome. He uses a gas grill for day-to-day grilling though because it takes 5 minutes to get ready instead of like half an hour.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Gas grilles are outdoor stoves (haven't we been thru this?)

:grinyes: Try something like this one. Then...if you want to smoke, you just have to do the firebox side...I've got a similar model that was made by New Braunfels, which is now owned by CharBroil...Its almost the same size as the "ghetto" 55 gal drum.

tonksy

Although...I do have a lamb recipe that calls for such activity. Rob is not a fan of it because it's a pain to clean.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Raise the times (or add a rack...about 4" above the flame) & it's the same. Of course, gas flame isn't quite as hot as prepped coals.

chcr

Too cute for words
Webers are great for cooking out but almost useless for 'cue. Gotta have a moker that'll cook slow for barbecue. If I was buying right now I think I'd get the one Gato suggests since it looks like it does both. I use a gas grill for cooking out (Char-Broil in fact) and a converted metal trash can for barbecue.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
90% of the people don't know there's a diference between bbq & grilling. The terms are used interchageably. I'd bet the scotch canuck used it generically. I also bet he knows the differnce.

Which charbroil do you have (similar to what I'm looking at?)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
90% of the people don't know there's a diference between bbq & grilling. The terms are used interchageably. I'd bet the scotch canuck used it generically. I also bet he knows the differnce.

Which charbroil do you have (similar to what I'm looking at?)

Excuse moi, I used the word "grill" just to keep all you guys happy...I deserve some recognition :p