Score, haul, take

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I got myself a bicycle. Looks like this one...

mtb_jeepscram.jpg

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Well Nixy and Ink, I don't really care what you guys think of a promise ring.

What he decides he wants as an engagement ring for me is his choice. I'm far from being materialistic. I've never asked for a big ass ring. If he chooses to get me one, that's up to him. We are still dealing with two houses, getting back on our feet from being fucked over by our ex's, etc. You can think what you want about a promise ring, all I know, is that I love it, I'm happy and I don't really give a shit what you think of me or him for giving me that as a gift. Half of the girls I work with got promise rings before they got their engagement rings and so far, all my family and true friends are happy for me.

So in other words, I'm not going to let you ruin the gift for me nor spoil my enjoyment of wearing it.
Ya, Uki, I'm still in shock that they would be so cold and callous as to even make that kind of comment. Well, whatever, maybe they feel superior now - all I have to say is - THAT'S AWESOME AND I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE HAPPY!!!!!

Inkara1

I don't feel superior or anything like that, although if it makes people feel better to think I'm some sort of asshole just because I think the marketing of "promise rings" is a money grab by jewelry companies, then so be it. If I'm "cold and callous" because of that, then what the fuck ever. The people that really matter, AKA family and my fiance, sure don't think I'm "cold and callous."

BTW, Uki, the way you phrased your response makes it obvious that you really do "give a shit" despite your statement to the contrary.

MrBishop

I don't feel superior or anything like that, although if it makes people feel better to think I'm some sort of asshole just because I think the marketing of "promise rings" is a money grab by jewelry companies, then so be it.
Most things on the market linked to love are money-grabs... think of cut flowers (who die quickly and have to be replaced), or overpriced boxes of chocolates, Hallmark cards, or engagement rings themselves. They're all money grabs UNTIL they're bought and given to someone... then it's the thought that counts.

Your missive made it sound like Uki's SO was an idiot to buy one and she was equally stupid for loving the gift. That may very well not be what you had in mind (likely isn't because you're not an asshole IMO)...but it damn well sounding like it.

Uki Chick

BTW, Uki, the way you phrased your response makes it obvious that you really do "give a shit" despite your statement to the contrary.

Trust me, if you knew me, I don't give a shit what you think, but like some others have said, whether you agree with it or not, doesn't mean you have to "shit" on my gift and what I think of it.

You have the right to your opinion and I have a right to mine.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Nixy said "they're stupid, NO OFFENSE".

Inky backed it up.

A promise ring is a piece of jewelry. It is a marketing ploy. If you enjoy it, call it anything you wish.

An engagement requires a "ring & a date". The ring is optional. If you're living together, screw the ring & go get married. Otherwise, its shared room, board & free sex.

Why must people get all worked up because another disagrees with their (fill in subjet here) if it affects nobody else? Inky, Nixy & I (probably others) find promise rings to be silly. Some find them incredibly romantic. Others could give a shit.

Noone is wrong here.

Uki Chick

Like I said in the last post, they have their opinion, I have mine. They don't have to shoot down the gift.

Re-read Bish's post, as it says it all there.

Uki Chick

No. What I'm saying is you can voice your opinion, but you can do it without making my SO come off as a idiot or making me look like an idiot for accepting it.

A.B.Normal

It was a CHRISTMAS PRESENT ,all this crap about a promise ring being a money grab ,Christmas is a frikkin money grab nowdays.How many of those complaining about jewellers ,spent more money at Christmas than they normally would have.*handonhip

It was a Ring bought as a present ,that wasn't an engagement or wedding ring ,basically a more practical gift as the SO would have gotten her something anyway,why not something they both wanted.:grinyes:

That said ,I don't think Nixy was attacking the gift of giver/recipient .

tonksy

That said ,I don't think Nixy was attacking the gift of giver/recipient .

I do...Nixy may not have meant it but her tone of late has been seriously rude and holier-than-thou.

On the note of promise rings...this is not to offend anyone or anything it's just my thoughts on the whole thing. Thoughts I've had and thought about for a number of years...I think promise rings are stupid.
Well that sums up an attack...she thinks they are stupid. Not confusing...not misguided...not even not something she believes in but STUPID.
You can preface it with a "no offense" all you want but when you crap all over a gift that someone is excited about by calling it stupid you are attacking it.
Should she not have said it? I don't care...but let's call a duck a duck.

simplyred

We spent our Christmas financing on the kids. I did get a few odds and ends I needed like new mascara and a good pair of socks. But the best present I got was to spend Christmas with someone I love, and watch my beautiful little girl have a good Christmas.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
I do...Nixy may not have meant it but her tone of late has been seriously rude and holier-than-thou.

Well that sums up an attack...she thinks they are stupid. Not confusing...not misguided...not even not something she believes in but STUPID.
You can preface it with a "no offense" all you want but when you crap all over a gift that someone is excited about by calling it stupid you are attacking it.
Should she not have said it? I don't care...but let's call a duck a duck.

Amen, Sister.

Nixy & Ink: It's fine to have your opinion, but seriously, step back and take a look at how you state your opinions and where you feel it is necessary to lay it down. Why you felt it was ok to shit all over her excitement is beyond me.

tonksy

Oooookay.....side bar convo, eh?
How'd the kids fare?
Mine cleaned up...not the gluttonous orgy of presents that was last year but still quite a haul spread out over about a week (Christian Hanukah ;) )
Santa brought Marlowe a Furreal chimp and a huge stuffed purple pegasus. He brought Malory a Princess Ariel pop up castle and a Tinkerbell brush, comb, mirror set and Fairy dress up costumes and Tinkerbell sheets.
And then from the various parental and grandparental units:
Books
Dress up gear
Soda pop girls (2 each)
A bunch of Littlest Petshop gear
Winx Club DVDs and mini figurines
DVDs- Cars, Fox & the Hound II, Incredibles
Coloring stuff
Puzzles
A keyboard and Guitar both battery operated and with headsets (Thanks Rob's Dad :rolleyes: )
A Home ballet Studio thing (Like a footpad and bar and DVD)
A Nice tutu for Mally's Ballet class.
Robes
LSU Cheerleading outfits
A NY Giants cheerleading outfit

Damn....I can't remember the rest. They are well pleased though.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
We have these 189 liter storage tubs - we needed them to haul the gifts over to where we were having Christmas - they were both overflowing with gifts for the trip home. Needless to say the kid were ecstatic! They all get gifts from us, their Aunts & Uncles and their Step- Aunts and Uncles and their Granparents and their Step-Grandparents. I really have to remember that for next year so I don't buy so darn many gifts!

simplyred

Oooookay.....side bar convo, eh?
How'd the kids fare?
Mine cleaned up...not the gluttonous orgy of presents that was last year but still quite a haul spread out over about a week (Christian Hanukah ;) )
Santa brought Marlowe a Furreal chimp and a huge stuffed purple pegasus. He brought Malory a Princess Ariel pop up castle and a Tinkerbell brush, comb, mirror set and Fairy dress up costumes and Tinkerbell sheets.
And then from the various parental and grandparental units:
Books
Dress up gear
Soda pop girls (2 each)
A bunch of Littlest Petshop gear
Winx Club DVDs and mini figurines
DVDs- Cars, Fox & the Hound II, Incredibles
Coloring stuff
Puzzles
A keyboard and Guitar both battery operated and with headsets (Thanks Rob's Dad :rolleyes: )
A Home ballet Studio thing (Like a footpad and bar and DVD)
A Nice tutu for Mally's Ballet class.
Robes
LSU Cheerleading outfits
A NY Giants cheerleading outfit

Damn....I can't remember the rest. They are well pleased though.

Swan Lake interactive Ballet DVD
Wedding Barbie Doll..........

Just reminding what I know of ;)