Sean Hannity's Freedom Concert scam

spike

SEAN HANNITY’S FREEDOM CONCERT SCAM: ALMOST NONE OF CHARITY’S $ WENT TO INJURED TROOPS, KIDS OF FALLEN TROOPS; G5S FOR VANNITY?

By Debbie Schlussel

****03/19/10: SCROLL DOWN FOR UPDATE: My Response to Freedom Alliance’s/Oliver North’s Weak “Non-Response” & New Lies ****

For the last several years, Sean Hannity and the Freedom Alliance “charity” have conducted “Freedom Concerts” across America. They’ve told you that they are raising money to pay for the college tuition of the children of fallen soldiers and to pay severely wounded war vets. And on Friday Night, Hannity will be honored with an award for this “Outstanding Community Service by a Radio Talk Show Host” at Talkers Magazine’s convention.

But it’s all a huge scam.

In fact, less than 20%–and in two recent years, less than 7% and 4%, respectively–of the money raised by Freedom Alliance went to these causes, while millions of dollars went to expenses, including consultants and apparently to ferry the Hannity posse of family and friends in high style. And, despite Hannity’s statements to the contrary on his nationally syndicated radio show, few of the children of fallen soldiers got more than $1,000-$2,000, with apparently none getting more than $6,000, while Freedom Alliance appears to have spent tens of thousands of dollars for private planes. Moreover, despite written assurances to donors that all money raised would go directly to scholarships for kids of the fallen heroes and not to expenses, has begun charging expenses of nearly $500,000 to give out just over $800,000 in scholarships.

In February 2009, a well-known conservative writer sent me this, about a friend at FOX News:

The guy went on to tell me about Hannity’s “Freedom Concerts,” which are staged across the country with the proceeds going to children of slain soldiers. Of course, as the guy tells it, there’d be a lot more money every concert to go to the cause if Hannity didn’t demand–and get–use of a Gulfstream 5 plane to fly him and his family/entourage to the concerts; a “fleet” (that’s the word the guy used) of either Cadillac or Lincoln SUVs for him and his family/entourage; and several suites at really expensive hotels for him and his family/entourage. The promoter apparently values Hannity’s star demands at well over $200,000 per event. The source says he heard that Oliver North pulled Hannity aside at one of the concerts and told him that this had to stop. But that may mean that, from now on, Hannity has to fly on a G4 instead of a G5, gets only a few luxury SUVs, and two or three suites.

North is the founder and honorary chairman of Freedom Alliance.

I began investigating these claims, and lo and behold, I discovered that Freedom Alliance gives very little money to the children of slain troops to pay for college and even less to wounded troops. The stories of injuries to troops and how much Freedom Alliance gives them–$200 for a soldier from a poor neighborhood who lost three limbs–is heartbreaking. Soldiers with traumatic brain injuries, severe wounds to the face from disfiguring burns and explosions, and multiple amputations got $1,000 or less, with only a handful of exceptions.

The tax forms available to the public for the Freedom Alliance–for the years 2006-2008–paint a tragic story, a story of a charity that makes gazillions and spends very little for the purposes it claims, a charity that spends millions more on its small staff and crony consultants than it ever gives in scholarships to the children of the fallen or severely injured troops or in aid to the injured troops themselves. While Hannity’s Freedom Concerts take in millions, only a few hundred thousand go to the claimed intended recipients.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/0...nnitynorth-scam-troops-with-freedom-alliance/

More at the link.

Cerise

Schlussel better get herself a good lawyer.

We have also been able to confirm that Sean Hannity has no operational control over the organization. Nor is he even a member of the group’s board.

If Schlussel stands behind her statement, then she will have to do better than a quote from a blind source, who is, as she admits, a friend of a friend.

WhobedatwitSean?

debbieschlusselplayerim.jpg

ResearchMonkey

At least its not $100,000,000.00 in food money being used to buy arms for commies regimes. Millions dead, liberalism kills.

spike

We have also been able to confirm that Sean Hannity has no operational control over the organization

So his plan is to disassociate himself from the scam he's been promoting?

WhobedatwitSean?

They got their picture taken together at some point? Shemustbeinonit.

valkyrie

I'm not surprised at the scam. This happened with Live-Aid (to end famine in Africa) in 1985.

These concerts are a great way to scam money from people who think they're giving to a charity.

ResearchMonkey

Are you saying Hannity is being scammed to buy $100million in arms to kill the very people he's trying to help? WoW!

valkyrie

The money that was actually realized from Live-Aid, after the corrupt took their piece of the pie, was mainly used to buy weapons not food to feed the hungry. However, what I referred to was the scam part: where money was filtered off the top until there was not much left to use for the supposed intended purpose, charity, and RM knew that without a doubt in my mind. I do not get the impression that RM is mentally retarded.
:retard:

spike

A couple things. Why do you think he brought up Live Aid in the first place? It's common tactic of distraction. If you don't want to discuss the issue at hand try and change the subject.

Don't want to focus on Hannity's scam? Try and change the subject to Live Aid.

Don't want to focus on institutionalized encouragement sexual predators in the church all way up to the Pope? Make some bogus claims about some other subject accusing Jennings of being pro-NAMBLA even though you have zero proof.

It's a diversion.

But then he associated Live Aid as liberal endorsed thing even though it wasn't connected to a politics. And the claims about Live Aid are dubious to start with.

http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15641802

Anyway, theres' no reason to fall for these transparent unsubstantiated diversions. It's like someone saying. "Hannity's scam doesn't matter because there was another scam sometime before in history maybe".

ResearchMonkey

Because a conservative radio personality getting scammed is so much more important than a million black people being butchered.

OK, I think I have your thinking down now.

valkyrie

Because a conservative radio personality getting scammed is so much more important than a million black people being butchered.

OK, I think I have your thinking down now.
Not sure where this came from. :shrug:

Anyway... moving on.... here's a smilie of a horse making poopy: :horse:

spike

Who said one is more important than the other? While it looks like you claims about Live Aid are unproven it's really irrelevant to Hannity scamming the veterans.

It seems like the reasoning is going something like this:

Person 1: Some guy robbed the bank, that sucks.

Person 2: Oh yeah, like that's more important than the other guy who might have robbed a bank 25 years ago.

Kinda like this reasoning:

Person 1: Wow, the catholic church has an established history of protecting sexual predators abusing minors all the way up to the Pope.

Person 2: So your saying that's more important than this guy I would like to believe is pro-Nambla but have no proof. Yeah, don't talk about the Pope protecting pedophiles anymore because I want to change the subject to something I can't prove.

valkyrie

Very little money from a concert will go toward charity. There are quite a lot of "bills" to be paid, including the performers. Now, on the one hand there are those with good intentions (the performers, the ticket purchasers and possibly the promoter/organizer) but there are too many looking to skim the cream from the milk and many unscrupulous people who will be attracted to an easy mark for cash. Sean Hannity is just one of many who rip off those that have good intentions and soil the good name of a charitable organization. He's not the first to bring ruin to something intended to be good.

ResearchMonkey

I guess as long LiveAids purchased machetes are still chopping up Christians in Africa it all good for you. How many ppl died as a result Hannity concerts?

Again, the church is something you have a choice about, you have control over your participation. A current federal pro-pedo Czar has power over millions of captive children.

But hey, if you want to support the pedo's, the murder of Africans and Christians that's cool, you're a lib.

valkyrie

I guess as long LiveAids purchased machetes are still chopping up Christians in Africa it all good for you. How many ppl died as a result Hannity concerts?

Again, the church is something you have a choice about, you have control over your participation. A current federal pro-pedo Czar has power over millions of captive children.

But hey, if you want to support the pedo's, the murder of Africans and Christians that's cool, you're a lib.
Pretty sure most pedos are conservative, Right-Wing church goers. At least that's what we've learned. :) But hey, if you want to support pedophiles who have millions of captive children in their Sunday schools, private church schools and other church run organizations... it's all good, right? Or should I say "Right". ;)
Oh, hey... Summer opportunity for the church pedos coming up: Vacation Bible School! Woot! Get those corn holes ready boys!

MrBishop

Church participation is something you may have choice about*, but only AFTER you reach a certain age. Parents take their kids to church, starting at birth through several ceremonies until the child is indoctrinated. Children have no control over their participation...they are effectively captive audiences.

*Ask scientologists about their choice to participate or not..and the price they pay when removing themselves from the church.