should condoms be passed out in schools?

Should schools pass out condoms to the kiddies?

• yes

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • no

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

Professur

sbcanada said:
If you want the kids to use condoms, make them easily accessible. They should also be taught what they are and how to use them in sex-ed. :D

If you put them in vending machines in the boy's washrooms at school, they'd have to pay for them and then it wouldn't be taxpayers money. If kids are going to do it no matter what, then have condoms accessible to them, teach them why they should use them, and most of them will use them.

I don't know about making them go embarress themselves in order to get them; then some kids won't bother and they'll just do it without protection.

Silly me. I thought that was a parent's job.

But if you're gonna put them in the washrooms .... put them in the girl's. That way, there's less chance of a guy using a 5 year old rubber just to get some.

BlurOfSerenity

if allowed to, i like to root through the wallets and purses of friends and acquaintances. it's just something fun i do. i offer mine up for them to do the same. and a lot of guys have condoms in their wallets. and i'm just like, DONT PUT THEM THERE, THEY'LL DEGRADE, DUMBASS.

/random thought.

MrBishop

Don't just give them away. Make the kids earn them. That way, they'll learn to appreciate them more...

I also like the vending machine in the boys room idea, but charge 50 cents instead of 25. Better yet, charge the same amount as the most popular video arcade game. :cool:
Earn the opportunity to use one? ;)

$2/pop works for me.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well the cool hip thing to do is being not wearing one, i feel sorry for the girls though.

The cool hip thing to do is to NOT use a condom?

Funny, when I was in school there was a girl who got knocked up 3 or 4 times and kept getting abortions, then it got to the point where the doc said "No more, you have to carry this baby and then if you don't want it put it up for adoption" (something about performing an abortion being risky because of her previous ones or something). Anyway, none of us thought she was cool...we all thought she was a dumbass for not using protection. Hell, we doubled up on the pregnancy protection. I won't get into how bad the pill really is and how I regret filling my body with artificial hormones for so many years...but the point is that NOT getting a disease and NOT getting knocked up was the cool thing to do.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well the cool hip thing to do is being not wearing one, i feel sorry for the girls though.

Also, why do you feel sorry for the girls? If they let a guy get away with not wearing a rubber then it's just as much their fault as it is his.

I have my own stash, if I'm dating someone and I think things may go in that direction I even carry a couple in my purse. People need to be accountable for their own actions and even though I wouldn't be the one wearing it I still need to be responsible because the potential consequences affect me just as much as the guy (maybe more so because I'd have to be preggers for 9 months).

chcr

Too cute for words
Passed out???? Boys should have to go to the drug store and pay the 70 year old lady clerk while blushing furiously just like I did! We coddle our children too much.

tonksy

Indeed. I'll supply the first batch along with a tutorial but after that you're going to buy them. I'll be happy to pay for them in a pinch but if you ar old enough to use them you are old enough to buy them.

GrandCaravanSE

Also, why do you feel sorry for the girls? If they let a guy get away with not wearing a rubber then it's just as much their fault as it is his.

I have my own stash, if I'm dating someone and I think things may go in that direction I even carry a couple in my purse. People need to be accountable for their own actions and even though I wouldn't be the one wearing it I still need to be responsible because the potential consequences affect me just as much as the guy (maybe more so because I'd have to be preggers for 9 months).

Is a joke, i think about 25% of the girls were pregnat at one time or another, sooo, i was guessing that was the truth., ehh what ever, i hope most people are smart.

pc_builder

If they hand out condoms, they should hand out diaphragms, too. Condoms are not 100% and it is the responsibility of both parties to protect themselves.

Why does it always boil down to whether a man is wearing a condom or not? Outside of surgery, that's the only birth control we have to use, while women have several methods available. Although I have heard and read about a male birth control pill in the works.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
If they hand out condoms, they should hand out diaphragms, too. Condoms are not 100% and it is the responsibility of both parties to protect themselves.

Why does it always boil down to whether a man is wearing a condom or not? Outside of surgery, that's the only birth control we have to use, while women have several methods available. Although I have heard and read about a male birth control pill in the works.

Because while preventing pregnancy is important preventing disease is JUST AS IMPORTANT if not more so. In a pinch an unwanted pregnancy can be dealt with by putting the baby up for adoption (which obviously shouldn't be used as an excuse to be stupid, but in a pinch it's an option)...you can't adopt out HIV, herpes, genital warts or HPV though. The only protection against disease (except making everyone you sleep with have a test before hand and making them show you the results) is condoms. True, there are female condoms but from what I hear they're not good at all...I've never used one but I've had guys tell me it's like "fucking a plastic bag" because of the material they're made out of.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member

Oh, and diaphragms are typically custom fit, that's not something you just buy over the counter. I'm all for both parties have to take responsibility but what it boils down to is unless you're in a committed relationship and you've both been tested a condom needs to be used...even if one or both parties have are using other birth control methods (surgical or not). That said, women who are sexually active should carry condoms...that way if they man doesn't have one they're both still protected.

pc_builder

I was referring to pregnancies. I know a condom is the only way to prevent disease, but there are still risks with that. Testing before hand would be the ideal solution. :swing:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I was referring to pregnancies. I know a condom is the only way to prevent disease, but there are still risks with that. Testing before hand would be the ideal solution. :swing:

Well, from a pregnancy sense it doesn't always come down to condoms. In a committed relationship where both parties have been tested and there are other birth control methods in place then there's really no use for condoms.

pc_builder

Besides, this topic is about whether condoms should be handed out in schools. It would seem appropriate to think that the main idea behind this is preventing teen pregnancy.

If there are a lot of kids in school with std's, someone should be looking into where they are getting them from. Or can you be born with an std?

pc_builder

I don't think anyone was referring to committed relationships either. How many kids in school are in committed relationships?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Besides, this topic is about whether condoms should be handed out in schools. It would seem appropriate to think that the main idea behind this is preventing teen pregnancy.

If there are a lot of kids in school with std's, someone should be looking into where they are getting them from. Or can you be born with an std?

You can be born with an STD. You can get certain STDS (at minimum HIV) from your mother at birth. Also, cold sores are a kind of herpes and they can be transferred from a person's face to their genitals if they touch an active sore on their face and then touch themselves.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I don't think anyone was referring to committed relationships either. How many kids in school are in committed relationships?

I was, I had a 2 year relationship in highschool. I was totally paranoid so I always made him use a condom even though I was on the pill...but it was purely from a pregnancy stand point.

pc_builder

Yeah but that was high school. What about middle school? I'm beginning to think the wording of this topic was too broad and unfocused.

But the reality is it's not my problem anymore. "My problem" referring to the condoms in school topic. I've been out of school for a long time. And I know how to protect myself.