Should people in prison be allowed to get an education such

Q

No. There are plenty of taxpayers paying to keep criminals in prison who can't afford to go to college or send their kids to college. They get free medical and dental care already, fuck letting them get a degree on our dime. :mad:

Professur

I'm a big believer in education in the prison system. Learning to dig ditches, make license plates, nd break rocks. Oh, and let's not forget, learning not to break the law again.

I've been against free medical care for prisioners ever since a guy sued the system to get a free sex change. It passed under the phychological profile. My tax dollars went to give some criminal homo a set of tits. If that isn't a crime, I don't know what is.

freako104

Originally posted by Professur
I'm a big believer in education in the prison system. Learning to dig ditches, make license plates, nd break rocks. Oh, and let's not forget, learning not to break the law again.

I've been against free medical care for prisioners ever since a guy sued the system to get a free sex change. It passed under the phychological profile. My tax dollars went to give some criminal homo a set of tits. If that isn't a crime, I don't know what is.

i agree with you for the most part but to me the sex change and the homosexuality isnt a crime. now i do agree that the free med care should be ablosihed. if they took away someone elses rights they should not have rights themselves. but i am for the education as if they are or are not released they maybe able to be a constructive member of society.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
They only need books.....in fact we all only need books, college only takes away your money, but it gives you a little paper with a lot of power.

MitchSchaft

yeah, i hate college cause of that very reason.
And i think it depends on their crime whether or not they should get an education. I also believe in thinning out the gene pool every now and then;)

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
And if we take away free health care, and they have absolutely zero net worth, then what? Let them die of the flu? What if they are only serving a five year sentence for a white collar crime?

And about education... would you rather a criminal be released that has some chance at finding a career in something other than crime, or has no choice but to come directly to your house and take your hard earned money (killing your wife in the process)?

Just playing devil's advocate here. As with many things, it's not a matter of black or white (not race, you know what I mean), but shades of grey. An education of the same quality as a university, complete with labs, reference libraries, computers, etc.? Of course not. But books are cheap, and tutors aren't that much more expensive. There must be some "best compromise" middle ground there that will allow these criminals to have a shot at being productive members of society upon release, while not breaking the bank to do it (figuratively).

Same with medical. Should we treat an inmate with a life threatening illness? Of course (unless they are on death row, and I really mean that). Should we treat an inmate when the illness will have permanent effects, such as brain damage, or crippling them? Probably. Should we put tits on transvestites? Absolutely not. Once again, there must be some ideal compromising midle ground.

The hard part is finding the correct shade of grey. This is true for almost anything you encounter in life.

Q

Here's my argument against giving them an education so they can do something productive after they are released.
Fuck 'em.
Plenty of people manage to get through life with less than ideal living conditions without commiting a crime. The government doesn't just fork out educations to them.
Yes the prisoners should have access to books. If they want to prepare for college so they have a better chance when they are released, fine. However, providing a criminal with a degree is tantamount to rewarding them for commiting a crime. It's a slap in the face to law abiding taxpayers.
...And as far as medical care. The basic minimum should be sufficient. It's more than alot of people who can't afford health insurance get. No sex change operations, no cosmetic dental work, no frivolous bullshit.
....And NO lawsuits. You don't like they way they treat you in prison, they won't let you watch the channel you want, the food sucks? A 6'4" 260# guy with hair on his back and bad breath made you his bitch and now your ass hurts? TOO BAD. There is a very simple way to avoid all these dreadful things.
I won't even address the 5 year sentence of the white collar crime, since the majority of that is commited by people with college degrees. The majority, if not all of that comes down to greed.
With the exception to the wrongly convicted (which is an seperate debate) all the people in prison made a choice.

unclehobart

They should all be set into open pits in a sitting position and have concrete poured up to their throats. They should be fed a high protein vitamin fortified gruel via a funnel. A trapped and secured inmate population cannot use drugs, get in fights, murder the guards, cause problems of any kind. There is no parole, there is no talking, there is no mail. The concrete would be broken open upon the day of release. All medical care should be administered by the finest retired veterinarians that money can buy.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Funny side issue, there is a guy out east here who has been convicted of some drug charge, and is jailed or to be. He is in possession of a medical exemption to smoke pot, so he legally will be able to smoke pot in jail. :retard:

looking for a source...