Should the legal age limit for drinking be raised to 21 in C

ilovechris

?( I think it depends on the situation...... ?( ?(

My family thinks it should be raised because a lot of 19 year olds are too immature to handle drinking even though thats how old i will be on my birthday in two months and i'm mature......... ;)

So if anyone has a comment write it cause we debatiing it in my college class next week :)

ris

we have talked about lowering it in the uk [its 18 at present] because of some drunken behaviour in the young. i don't think pushing it up helps, it will only serve to push more into illegal drinking and making alcohol something fun just because it's not allowed.

education and responsible attitudes to drink and alcohol from parents and schools is needed to give young people a better understanding of the effects of alcohol.

most of the responsible and sensible drinkers i knew at uni were those whose parents let tham have it in the house, gave them wine with meals etc. it meant that when the parents weren't around they didn't feel the need to cut loose so much.

freako104

i agree with mitchshaft as we have 21 as the drinking age here but teens do get it. i do think 18 is fair for drinking age but anyone on jjr512 has seen the thread and how i feel about it. my feelings are that drinking by someone under 21 isnt the problem. there are peopel who are 21 or older who shouldnt even be near alchol. but they get it too. im more worried about some people who drink and are the age than people who are under the age and drink responsibly though i know not everyone does.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
There should not be any legal age to drink. It should be a legal age to buy alcohol.

Ponch

16 here, no major problem. Also we can drink till the end of the night :cool: so people don't rush to get drunk before the pub closes. :rolleyes:

Professur

Remove the limit all together. But enforce public drunkenness laws properly.

As a kid, shandy was a summer staple for us. That's a mix of beer and lemonade. Younger kids had it cut more that the older kids. But we all learned HOW to drink responsably, with our parents. Not sneaking beer with a bunch of adolecents in a park.

sbcanada

18? 21? Don't make a difference. The police up here in Canada will never catch ya unless you walk into their station with an open bottle of vodka in one hand and a sign around your neck that says "I am an underage drinker". :D

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
At the end of the last semester, some friends and i were drinking in the car, driving in the city, at 2pm, hehehe.

We decided to go to a place where there would be no cops, we decided to go to the next small town (10-15minutes), and we parked, after a while i saw how a kid started to look at me kinda weird, then he got into a green house which was at 10meters from us, then a couple of police of guys got out of the house....after a few seconds, a friend of mine told us: "ohh shit, that's the police station of this town" :D :D

sbcanada

Originally posted by Luis G
At the end of the last semester, some friends and i were drinking in the car, driving in the city, at 2pm, hehehe.

We decided to go to a place where there would be no cops, we decided to go to the next small town (10-15minutes), and we parked, after a while i saw how a kid started to look at me kinda weird, then he got into a green house which was at 10meters from us, then a couple of police of guys got out of the house....after a few seconds, a friend of mine told us: "ohh shit, that's the police station of this town" :D :D

:eek: :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Leave the limit as it is and then make parents fully responsible for any problems arising from their kids getting drunk and doing something stupid. That way, lazy parents get an incentive to teach their kids how to drink responsibly.

That should go for the US as well. Underage drinking isn't necessarily a problem, just that the underage drinkers get so drunk they do stupid shit.

freako104

Originally posted by fury
Leave the limit as it is and then make parents fully responsible for any problems arising from their kids getting drunk and doing something stupid. That way, lazy parents get an incentive to teach their kids how to drink responsibly.

That should go for the US as well. Underage drinking isn't necessarily a problem, just that the underage drinkers get so drunk they do stupid shit.
well said fury but i do want to say this: people of the legal drinking age also do stupid things as well but i do like what you said about making the parents responsible though i feel both should be responsible as the child should get in trouble and punished by the law if they do something under the influence and also the parents would also be punished. but i agree with what you said for the most part.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Gee. Why not have a 'Shoot-on-sight, shoot-to-kill' rule for public intoxication. :rolleyes: That would keep the drunks off the street. :grinno:

How about a shoot-to-kill rule for every infraction...regardless of how small...

Fail a test in school...Death!
Talk back to an elder...Death!
Sexual harassment...Death!
Discrimination? Death!
Farting between floors in an elevator... Death!

Here's the kicker...no judge...no jury...no jail. Only the person who happens to be wronged has the right to shoot-to-kill. :D