Show us your hi-fi

Inkara1

With Caity and her kitten gone, I've gotten a chance to re-connect with my stereo. Spencer used his claws to put holes in the foam surrounds on the woofers on ym front speakers... which really didn't make me that mad because they were $20 for the pair brand new. I took that opportunity to upgrade (I can afford to do that because I'm only filling the gas tank once a week now instead of every other day). I also bought a can of Deoxit and cleaned out the switches and pots in the receiver... it's no longer all scratchy, I no longer randomly lose the left or right speaker and have to tweak the controls to get it back, etc.

My setup:
Concept 3.5 receiver
Sony CDP-CE345 5-disc changer
BSR CD-316X single-disc player (from 1986... got it for $4 at a thrift shop)
Sherwood DD-4050C dual cassette deck
TransAudio 1600 turntable wuth Numark DJ cartridge/stylus
Xact Stream Jockey Sirius Satellite Radio receiver
el cheapo RadioShack 3-way switch (both CD players and the Sirius receiver share the Tape 2 input)
Speakers A: Polk M20
Speakers B: Optimus STS-100 with woofers replaced/upgraded, Sony 100W powered 8" sub (I don't remember the model number)
Standard RadioShack 16-gauge white speaker wire

Here's a pic... the speaker on the very top is the left rear surround speaker for my computer's Klipsch 5.1 system.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Inky, for the love of all things holy, get thee to thine nearest mass merchandiser post haste and drop fifty of your American dollars on a cabinet! Concrete blocks are not an option.

Starya

SP-MMS221B_TN.jpg

Altron

IMG_0489.jpg

This is my fancy setup. Speakers are Infinity Beta 40. Receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR304. I listen to either the Sirius or to my PC, which has a Chaintech AV-710 sound card and various software tweaks to give it a really good digital output.

Alternatively, I have my classic vintage system . It's gone in and out of assembly, but it's this huge vintage receiver known as the "Darth Opto" Optonica SA-5205, and BIC Venturi Formula II bookshelves. I'm probably going to set it up near the pool table and use the Sirius as a source.

Inkara1

I actually like my concrete blocks for a stereo table. That table's a lot sturdier than any cabinet I could find around here, and it's cheaper. Plus, it's not the same thing everyone else has.

I would like to get myself to the Home Depot at some point and get some wood to build a couple of record crates. My vinyl collection has outgrown the shelf space below the stereo... there are more records on the floor under it, and still more on the office coffee table.

K62

I like in a military barracks when not at sea, no hi-fi for me.

I do have 2x 10" kickers + a set of kicker components in my car.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
422789.jpg

SONY STR-DG600
A couple of 15" Sansui speakers (older'n gawd) & 5 additional surrounds.

p2356154reg.jpg

Toshiba HDMI upconvert DVD player.

All the analog equipment is stored or dead.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Not gonna bother trying to find pics of it all, but...

2 Sony SS-MF550H speakers
Radio Shack 15 band graphic EQ
Sony SCD-CE595 five disc changer
Kenwood VR-60RS tuner
Pioneer RT-1011L reel to reel recorder/player
Acoustic Research wireless headphones

All tied together with Monster triple strength speaker wire and heavy duty patch cables.

It rocks.

Sharky

Sony Digital A/V Control Center

Sony 5-Disc DVD/CD player

Onkyo dubbing cassette deck (haven't used in years)

Onkyo turntable (still use a lot)

XM satellite radio

JBL studio monitors

JBL surround speakers

Sony 250 watt subwoofer

:nerd:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
:worship: Nice rig sharky :fap:

Inky, I bought the reel off ebay. I decided I didn't want another cassette deck (insurance reimbursement on mine was $220 or so) and that I won't live long enough to replace the vinyl so no need for another turntable (insurance replacement around $275), plus I had a reel to reel that needed refurbishing (they didn't know that, replacement value around $500). So being the prudent redneck that I am I combined the two units and paid about $450 total for the reel and put the rest into the CD replacement fund. I need a take up reel for it, and I have no blank tape yet, but those are minor things. Besides, I ain't got a complete music library yet so I don't need to tape anything yet. Set up properly I think it will tape 8 hours per reel (it has auto reverse...) on the 10 1/2 inch reels which it can more than handle. Once I get another 300-400 more of the CDs back, I'll start taping. Awful nice to put one on and not have to fool with it for 8 hours, no repeats either. And I firmly believe that reels tape better than anything ever made.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
man i feel way to technologically advanced. I use my comp and klipsch surround 6:1 speakers. With the HI card fron creative labs.
Forportablei use my zune with the better earphones.

Inkara1

I've been spending a fair amount of time at www.audiokarma.org lately... it's a message board geared to vintage gear fans, although it runs pretty much the whole spectrum. It was there I found out about deoxit... it's this spray cleaner that I speayed into my switches and the volume pot and it solved my problems with scratchiness, randomly losing a channel and having to jiggle buttons to get it back, etc. There's a lot of good info there.