Simpsons: Gay marriage shock

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Parental control. Period.

There's lots of stuff on during the day that isn't acceptable for children - anyone watch those Soaps they have on now? Sheesh.

How about Maury? Jerry Springer? It's trash.

I don't let the kids watch many many shows. I always always check what they are watching.

If you are an adult and that Simpson's episode got your head in a tizzy, then you should have changed the damn channel. It's what's going on in real life. Gay marriage. Like it or not, it's being done.

ClaireBear

Banned
HomeLAN said:
My point was the hypocrisy in stating that anti gay marriage viewpoints are invalid, while pro gay mariage views are OK. While you've halfway backpedalled on that one, you're still not there.

Because its NOT PC!!!!!

They're people and deserve the same rights as all...

And if you look at my "definition" of the PC viewpoint... you'd see that it PC is in no way religion biased... negative reactions/viewpoints to Gay marriage are in the main down to Christian ethic... are they not? "Its wrong coz the big leather bound book says so!" Therefore its not impartial and its not PC!!!!

I think! :D

Lopan

HomeLAN said:
Like I said, gay couples wanted to change existing policy, and are now screaming because some folks disagree and want to use the same court system to block them.

That was kind of my original point. Why would anyone be against two people being offered the same protection under the law.

The most promising development in the fight for same-sex marriage is the recent Massachusetts Supreme Court decision in Goodridge v. Department of Public Health (November 2003). The court held that the state law barring same-sex marriage was unconstitutional under the Massachusetts constitution and ordered the legislature to remedy the discrimination within six months. In February 2004, the court ruled that offering civil unions instead of civil marriage would not meet the requirements set forth in Goodridge. As a result, beginning in May 2004, same-sex couples will be able to get marriage licenses and enter into civil marriages. The Massachusetts legislature is currently considering an amendment to the state constitution to forbid marriage between same-sex couples, but the soonest such an amendment could take effect is 2006.

Isn't affording everyone the same rights under the law unconstitutional?

HomeLAN

Not entirely. I've heard economic based arguments as well. Again, that debate is for another thread (and they already exist, resurrect one if you want to argue gay marriage).

I'm simply trying to get you to see that totally invalidating (or worse, vilifying) an entire set of what might be valid viewpoints is wrong. Moreover, it's exactly what I hear the left whine so much about the right supposedly doing. Once in awhile, that gets under my skin and I have to point it out. That's what happened here.

So far, all I get is "It's not valid (or evil) becuase it simply isn't". Research it a little. Go a tad out of your way before saying one view is OK on public airwaves and the other isn't. And be damned careful about the precedents you set.

HomeLAN

Prior reply was to CB, Lopan snuck in between.

Lopan said:
Isn't affording everyone the same rights under the law unconstitutional?

I'll assume you meant "constitutional".

Not when the law states that marriage is between man and woman. In some states, that's exactly the case.

chcr

Too cute for words
As I've mentioned before, I don't understand why anyone not directly involved with the couple in question in some way would care at all. :shrug: I fear that making laws against something like this sets a frightening precedent. Where does it stop?

ClaireBear

Banned
HomeLAN said:
So far, all I get is "It's not valid (or evil) becuase it simply isn't".

But to me thats enough!

Both Lopan and I are 24/5... we're probably the first generation to be brought up entirely with PC values... enforced in school, in the home (intelligent parents! ;) ) through the media...

If you're an intelligent contributary member of our generation certain things just aren't done!!!! They literally turn my stomach!

Like for example... (this is a really lame one... and embarrassing... :blush: )

But to show you how deep my "inbred" PC values lie.. my sister is into HipHop and D&B and all that jazz. And her and her friend took me along to a HipHop club night in the city... After about 30 minutes having a good time (defending my ass from persistant nips and strokes!!!) getting drinks bought and "shaking my thang" on the dancefloor a song using the "N-word" was played!!!!

According to my sister I visably inhaled and flushed but I do know that I leant across to her and whispered "Is he saying what I think he's saying?" in all seriousness... I did!

I have to hold my hand up and say I was a little drunk... but thats how PC I have been brought up to be! I can't even dig good music man!!! And thats why I don't agree with all of the politically correct nonsense that goes on today!

Professur

ClaireBear said:
Because its NOT PC!!!!!

They're people and deserve the same rights as all...

Pardon me, but they've always had the same rights as everyone else. Regardless of who's ass I shove my dick up, I'm restricted to marrying the opposite sex, just like they are. Gays can and have been marrying the opposite sex for centuries. They want a new right. The right to same sex marriage.

HomeLAN

And since we can't separate the argument I'm trying to make from the rather tired and overdone gay marriage argument, it's exit, stage right.

Lopan

chcr said:
As I've mentioned before, I don't understand why anyone not directly involved with the couple in question in some way would care at all. :shrug: I fear that making laws against something like this sets a frightening precedent. Where does it stop?

Thats what I was saying.

Some people just say it better :lol2:

I was thinking on the way home, that the reason its so hard for anyone in England to think of a good argument against gay marriage and equal rights is that it's an argument that for faught and won back in the 80's.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Lopan said:
Why shouldn't children watch it? If it makes them think about social issues thats better than filling their heads with "Everybody loves Raymond" or some other equally tedious generic rubbish.

You don't have kids do you? Ever try to explain a quickie to a 6 year old? How about differentiating fellatio & cunnuningliguis? A rim job?

Parents of small children will get around to explaining the basics of sex in thier time, not in the time of some TV producer. It was a sad day when I had to explain to my 11 year old what the fuck Enzyte is for as we're watching the goddamed History Channel. Funny how he never asked why people take Celebrex...must be the agenda at work.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
ClaireBear said:
Well the Asian "KwikiMart" owner

I'm pretty sure Abbu is Indian.

ClaireBear said:
promotes tolerance and understanding
:rofl3:

Clairebear said:
I simply don't get why people would object to exposing their children (all be it through a programme which isn't designed for them) to a fact of modern life!

A fact of modern life? So is pedophilia & I don't want my kids to watch a cartoon about it. For that matter, homosexual marriage is stioll illegal in the USA so how is it a fact of anything?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
chcr said:

The laws being created in response to this are defining what has been accepted practice since (forever). There has never been a need to define the gender of individuals getting married since, in the past, homosexuals understood they wouldn't get a Marriage Permit. Marriage is not a right.

ClaireBear

Banned
Gonz said:
I'm pretty sure Abbu is Indian.

The term "Asian" is a British PC term for those from India / Pakistan / Bangladesh... I wasn't sure of Apu's ethnicity and so... didn't want to offend anyone of Asian origin on this board... :shrug:

ClaireBear

Banned
Gonz said:
You don't have kids do you? Ever try to explain a quickie to a 6 year old? How about differentiating fellatio & cunnuningliguis? A rim job?

Parents of small children will get around to explaining the basics of sex in thier time, not in the time of some TV producer. It was a sad day when I had to explain to my 11 year old what the fuck Enzyte is for as we're watching the goddamed History Channel. Funny how he never asked why people take Celebrex...must be the agenda at work.

Well then... pay more attention to what you're kids are watching... its very simple... remove the TV from their rooms and if they hit the sack at a reasonable time 7-7:30 at the latest for a 6 year old... they'll miss anything that may be uncomfortable... :shrug:

The history channel may seen inoq..innocuous (sp!) but there are pit falls... :shrug:

I'm sure any intelligent, mature parent (as you claim and appear to be) would approach such parenting pitfalls valiantly and appropriately.... not a problem save for a few blushes... from the parent... :shrug:

Lopan

Gonz said:
Marriage is not a right.

If its not a right then what is it? I have the right to get married if I want, shouldn't mean that my brother (who is gay) shouldn't also have that right. Do unto others and all that jazz.

Mare

I just a few things to say......strictly my opinion ....
We wonder why we still have racism now adays.....
remember when blacks and women got the chance to vote...If gays want to marry it should be their right, adopt children? their right....
If people want their children to watch television, and its off peak "child hours" they should be prepared to explain what goes on.
I could go ON & ON.....but all get the general idea. Remember, this is just my opinion..... :lloyd: