Sits back, lights a cigar.

Altron

You think your car is reliable enough to make the trip? I expect Prof will have something else to say about that :p

He seems to think my licenced for 6.5 years self and my brand new car weren't prepared for the 5-6 hour drive from here to there this year...

Uhm, Prof loves my car.

The only thing I ever had go wrong was the generator. It left me stranded twice. If I had the faintest clue what I was doing, it wouldn't have left me stranded at all.

And, hell, I got 140,000 miles out of it. Aren't they called '120,000 mile generators' or something like that?

Other than that, it's just been stuff like tires, oil, trans fluid, bulbs, and the stereo.

And, I've already driven the Land Yacht to NY, and the Mazda wagon to VT.
It would be a long trip, but I think I could do it.

BB

I know ..you try knabbing their pants while they are driving at 70mph .... the eejits just can't keep their eyes on da road!

Wotcha BoP, how ya diddling? :kiss: xx

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Actually, Nix, he's no further from the cottage than you are.

Uh, he's saying it's a two day drive and if he has someone to share the drive with he'll only have to drive 3-4 hours a day...assuming that they're splitting 50/50 that's 6hours a day over 2 days...that's a 12 hour drive. If I'm 12 hours from your cottage you can whistle Dixie cause I could be over half way to the ferry in that time!!!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Uhm, Prof loves my car.

I don't care how much he loves it. Ask him if he'd let his wife take it and go on a long trip with the kids without him there. My dad always had old cars and he loved them too...but he wouldn't in a million years let my mom and me and my brother take one and drive 6 or 7 hours away...cause with age comes increased chance of breakdowns and problems (and even though new cars can breakdown most of them come with roadside assistance as part of the warranty).

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Oh, Prof, I drove somewhere between 4-5 hours through new brunswick, at night, through fog, while my mom slept (so I couldn't even have the radio on to keep me from zoning out) at the ripe old age of 18 and I managed just fine :p

Altron

Vermont is five hours, we've clocked it.
I don't have the numbers off the top of my head, but it's 289 miles by mapquest. With tolls and backroads and stuff, that's 80-85mph on the highway.
That's probably the best speed I can hope for, because a lot of the roads are only one lane in each direction.

Vermont to Quebec is 248 miles by mapquest. That's probably gonna take longer, with border crossing, twisty vermont roads, hills, that kind of stuff.

Are there any weird driving laws in Canada to worry about?

Inkara1

I don't care how much he loves it. Ask him if he'd let his wife take it and go on a long trip with the kids without him there. My dad always had old cars and he loved them too...but he wouldn't in a million years let my mom and me and my brother take one and drive 6 or 7 hours away...cause with age comes increased chance of breakdowns and problems (and even though new cars can breakdown most of them come with roadside assistance as part of the warranty).

I've driven the '62 Fairlane to Reno and to Flagstaff... it's probably the least car to leave me stranded on the side of the road. Why? There's not much crap to break!

Professur

Nix, I know exactly to the minute how long the drive from his back yard to my front door is. Remember this summer?

And his old car doesn't have 4 miles of wiring to fail, a computer to fail, electronic ignition to fail, etc. His old car can loose three cylinders and it'll still get him here. Your can't. Plus he's a male, so if it does break down, he's at 50% less risk if he has to hoof it to the next town. Plus he's not gonna be alone in the car. Shall I continue?

And I didn't tell you to not make the drive. I said I'd worry. Last time I checked, I'm allowed to do that.
And as for the ferry .... There's nothing stopping you from continuing on your way afterwards.

Altron

And, I've gotten quite good at troubleshooting by proxy. If something did go wrong, Prof could probably walk me through fixing it at least enough to limp to the nearest shop over the phone.

BB

Nix, I know exactly to the minute how long the drive from his back yard to my front door is. Remember this summer?

And his old car doesn't have 4 miles of wiring to fail, a computer to fail, electronic ignition to fail, etc. His old car can loose three cylinders and it'll still get him here. Your can't. Plus he's a male, so if it does break down, he's at 50% less risk if he has to hoof it to the next town. Plus he's not gonna be alone in the car. Shall I continue?

And I didn't tell you to not make the drive. I said I'd worry. Last time I checked, I'm allowed to do that.
And as for the ferry .... There's nothing stopping you from continuing on your way afterwards.

sexist!
:D ;)

whey-aye Sid, man! (any VIZ! fans here? )

..and your argument is hairbrush 'man' against Nixy? :rofl:

Has Nixy's car any history of breaking down, ye old mother hen ya?? :D

...'ere ..an' how old are you anyway Nixy??? ... ( ya don't have to answer that ;) ) ..taking advice offa yer surrogate Mother ...

both my sisters call me mum, (if they have been visiting and have driven back ..when they arrive back)

The idea of me doing that is just off the scale.

First, NO!
Second NO! (you get the idea)

third ..i'd only forget, or get round to it really late (like, 3 months later) ..and she'd just worry

Me brother never calls or nothing anyway ... and i'm sure it wouldn't occur to me mum to even ask me or my brother to do so ....

(bear in mind quite often if not the vast majority of the time, me sisters are driving back with husbands / partners)

One of my sister's hits traffic... or stops off for a break .. takes a detour etc ... me mum is gonna get worried ...

nah - not a good idea in my book.

You got a mobile Nixy? You got AA / RAC ..er... (american version thereof) breakdown cover / roadside assitance ... er.. and a gun? ... some kendal mint cake? ... a warm jumper and er... some string?

oh ... and a towel?

what more do you need?

*imagines Professur in hair-curlers ...* :D

J/ K -- best, BB ;) :rofl2:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Prof is more my surrogate dad but you got the right idea Aunty.

BB: My car has no history of breaking down, it's only just over 6 months old (bought it brand new beginning of June), I'm 22 turning 23 in Dec, I've got a cell and I've got free roadside assistance as part of my warranty on my car (including everything, running out of gas, flat tire, car blowing up...etc)

Prof: I couldn't continue to the ferry cause I'm gonna use most of my vacation (8/10 days) in March to go to Greece I was just expressing how insane it would be if it took me 12 hours to get from Toronto to Quebec...so, do you know when you're hosting the BBQ yet? I don't wanna show up the same time the rest of these freaks are there :p j/k

chcr

Too cute for words
Prof is more my surrogate dad but you got the right idea Aunty.

BB: My car has no history of breaking down, it's only just over 6 months old (bought it brand new beginning of June), I'm 22 turning 23 in Dec, I've got a cell and I've got free roadside assistance as part of my warranty on my car (including everything, running out of gas, flat tire, car blowing up...etc)

Prof: I couldn't continue to the ferry cause I'm gonna use most of my vacation (8/10 days) in March to go to Greece I was just expressing how insane it would be if it took me 12 hours to get from Toronto to Quebec...so, do you know when you're hosting the BBQ yet? I don't wanna show up the same time the rest of these freaks are there :p j/k

Your getting wiser as you get older. :lol:

I'm jealous. I've always wanted to go to Greece.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Now god dammit. Who smoked all the cigars. I leave you people alone for a few months and see what I get! There damn well better be beer in the fridge, and none of that Stag shit that Gonz drinks either....