Small Bitch Session

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
So, after work today I had a little service call to do. The woman bought a new Dell a couple months back and thought she was getting a burner but only got a DVD player. She bought the burner through Newegg and wanted me to put it in. Also said her sound didn't work and she needed the printer that came with the Dell set up.

First was the sound, yep, sound don't come out the line-in jack. Doh! Ok, color coding is beyond some people. That I can understand. Second was the burner. This is where I was surprised. No, astonished. No, thoroughly and quite pleasantly astounded. Dell now puts a little knob on the back of the PC, push the knob, the side panel slides right off. Whoa. Dell? Making it easy to get in and do upgrades? It took me a minute to recover. Anyway, got the DVD burner in, fired the computer up and of course XP found it no problem and I burned a test CD, worked fine.

Now came the printer and the real reason for my little bitch session. First of all, it came with the PC. Now, I'm sure the ad said it was a photo printer, but I'm not so sure that most people would understand that photo printer is not equal to printer. At least she didn't seem to understand that. Second, I understood back in the day when printers didn't come with the cables needed. Not that I liked it, but there were a few different connectors and you had to get the one that worked for your printer. Now, I still say the PRINTER connector was where the difference was and the parallel ports were all the same, so they could have thrown one of them in and I bet it would have worked for 99% of their customers, but anyway.

Today there is a pretty well known standard called USB. It's got most of its bugs worked out and it's nice to know that just about anything you can plug into it will work. It's fast, it's easy to use. It's a standard. So why, please fucking someone tell me why they can't throw a fucking USB cable in with a new printer?

Inkara1

It's not rocket science. It allows them to get you in the door for a $39 printer that probably costs $33 to make and then fuck you up the ass by charging $25 for a seven-foot cable that costs about 80¢ to make... or $1.40 if it's got the fancy gold connectors.

What does surprise me, though, is that Dell didn't tell her she would need one and offer to sell it for $30 or something. If they had, there's a 95 percent chance she would have bought it right then, which would have been a win for dell because they would make a $29 profit and a... well, I don't know if you can call a $29 butt-fucking a win for the customer but at least she doesn't get pissed off by finding out they didn't send everything she needed to use what she bought and paid for. So now she'll go to RadioShack and pay $25 for it and Dell will have lost that profit... and meanwhile sold a low-margin computer, low-margin monitor and low-margin printer while RadioShack sold a high-margin cable.

Any wonder why Dell's value is going down the shithole?

They would always drill it into us at RadioShack... need paper with that printer? Cable? Spare ink?
Need batteries with that (whatever it is)?

They also drilled that into us at Home Depot, and it's even more important there because it's a regional type of store. If someone forgets the cheap putty knife (1¢ to make, sells for 99¢) with that $1,600 sale of drywall that made the store a profit of about $16 and then drives 15 miles to the job site, they're not going to drive the 15 miles back. They're going to drive a mile to the ACE Hardware mom-and-pop joint, or the OSH, or what have you.

flavio

Banned
Dell is going down the drain it seems. They used to have almost halfway decent technical support but now they're useless.

I bought a Dell Axim PDA two weeks ago. It straight up just crashes my laptop if I so much as connect the cradle to the USB port. I tried calling their support and after 40 minutes finally got some guy in India that didn't do even the slightest bit of troubleshooting before insisting that the only thing I could do was call the laptop manufacturer.

Attaching this thing to the laptop gives me a "catastrophic error" which I've never even seen before.

I have another week to return it and I'm pretty sure it's going back.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Winky said:
how much is free tech support worth these days
a hell of a lot, i won't buy from them anymore unless it is a sweet deal that they can't be making much if any profit on and i can fix it myself, i.e. my $300 poweredge that was easily hacked to take a pci express video card. shite customer service is going to sink them sooner or later, i hope.

the dell home support is usually in India (the last time i called anyway), small business is based here, the wait is far shorter, and the tech's would be smart if they weren't required to plug all the dell BS.

catocom

It's worth enough to keep my customers buying from me. :)
They like talking to someone they can understand, and that stands by their work.

FluerVanderloo

flavio said:
Dell is going down the drain it seems. They used to have almost halfway decent technical support but now they're useless.

I bought a Dell Axim PDA two weeks ago. It straight up just crashes my laptop if I so much as connect the cradle to the USB port. I tried calling their support and after 40 minutes finally got some guy in India that didn't do even the slightest bit of troubleshooting before insisting that the only thing I could do was call the laptop manufacturer.

Attaching this thing to the laptop gives me a "catastrophic error" which I've never even seen before.

I have another week to return it and I'm pretty sure it's going back.

Hence why my new laptop is a Toshiba. I hate Dell in its entirety save my MP3 player. Had it for a year and no problems yet knock on wood.

HomeLAN

unclehobart said:
Hence, all of my computers are hand built frankensteins.

Which generally smoke what you could've bought off the shelf. Where the big boys make sense is in the bundled software. If you already have all that shit and don't mind installing it, build one. If you need it, buy pre-bundled. You'll save a boatload of cash.

catocom

I have a HD right now I'm recovering for a couple that bought a Dell.
Still under warranty, and they replaced the drive, and they don't do shit about
recovering their books they have on there.
They didn't save shit by the time they pay me.
I'd have cut them a break if they had bought it from me.

HomeLAN

Yeah. I'm trying to salvage the files off a dead drive for my bro right now. Ghost has taken 16 hours to get 52% of the way through a 4 gig partition, so I don;t hold out much hope of it working. I'll let 'er run through to the end, however.

The point is, even if this weren't family, I'd be unlikely to charge anything if I couldn't save anything, and I wouldn't be unreasonable if I managed to get it all. If you deal with the big guys, they don't even want to hear about any data loss. You're simply fucked, and they will not help at any price.

Trying to get folks out of this kind of thing (and expunging virus problems) is probably 90% of what I deal with anymore. The system I just built for Mom is the first since I rebuilt Unc's, and that's been awhile.

HomeLAN

BTW, the crap about the USB cables isn't limited to $39 printers, either. I've bought 2 printers in the last year, total price for the both around 7 bills, and neither one had a damn USB cable included in the box. It's just cheap.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
HomeLAN said:
BTW, the crap about the USB cables isn't limited to $39 printers, either. I've bought 2 printers in the last year, total price for the both around 7 bills, and neither one had a damn USB cable included in the box. It's just cheap.
Exactly. Especially when it's part of a package you're putting it with a pc purchase, you kind of get the impression that everything you need will be there.

HomeLAN

My bro actually had, at one time - when I kicked him in the ass to do it. As a result, he's only got about 5 months of pictures at risk. The stuff from the 4 years prior to that is sitting on CD's.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Professur said:
Remember the good old days when people knew they had to back up their data?

remember the good old days when HDDs weren't 300GB?

I love DVD-RWs.

Professur

Gonz said:
remember the good old days when HDDs weren't 300GB?

I love DVD-RWs.

You're heard me complain about these super huge drives before. What's the point of having 300G of data that you can lose in a heartbeat.