soccer/football

Inkara1

I'm having a hell of a time understanding how anyone can find this sport exciting.

Here's a typical soccer match:
The two teams take the field and begin the game. Thirty seconds into the match, one team scores a goal. The play-by-play guy on TV yells "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!" and the 125,000 people in the crowd go into a frenzy. It takes the authorities an hour to get the crowd settled down so the game can continue. At the end of the 90-minute match, the final score is 1-0.

Lopan

I suppose you have to grow up with it. Septics don't have much exposure to any kind of International match that isn't against Canada or some Random Carribean Island. One day who might understand the passion and the beauty behind the worlds most popular sport.

ClaireBear

Banned
Lopan said:
I suppose you have to grow up with it. Septics don't have much exposure to any kind of International match that isn't against Canada or some Random Carribean Island. One day who might understand the passion and the beauty behind the worlds most popular sport.

Love it how the championships/tournaments are known as the "world series" too... that makes a statement to the rest of the actual world... its actually rather chilling...

Baseball = Rounders (European game FOR GIRLS!)
'Merican Football = Rugby (that'd be us again!)

They just took and "improved" them. The only sports they haven't done so with are those they can't understand... like cricket!

Lopan

Don't forget

Basketball = netball

I watched a bit of the superbowl, I don't think its healthy for men that big to wear that much lycra.

ClaireBear

Banned
Inkara1 said:
Here's a typical soccer match:
The two teams take the field and begin the game. Thirty seconds into the match, one team scores a goal. The play-by-play guy on TV yells "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!" and the 125,000 people in the crowd go into a frenzy. It takes the authorities an hour to get the crowd settled down so the game can continue. At the end of the 90-minute match, the final score is 1-0.

Yes... we don't need continuous gratification and action with repetative quarterly breaks in order to keep our attention and enjoyment at a high... :shrug:

Dave

ClaireBear said:
Yes... we don't need continuous gratification and action with repetative quarterly breaks in order to keep our attention and enjoyment at a high... :shrug:
you say that like its a bad thing....

Lopan

No other game on the planet has a crowd atmosphere like football.

main_02.jpg

Its enough to make you want to paint your face red and white and be rude to foreign people

chcr

Too cute for words
Let's see:
1. American football: Team A's offense runs a play against team B's defense that lasts 10 seconds or so. Everyone takes a minute and a half off, then does it again. When possesion changes, two entirely different teams take the field.

2. Football everywhere else: Two teams take the field and run for 45 minutes at a time. Two substitues per game. No time outs except for injuries. You get excited when they score because it's really hard to score. It never stops moving and the subtleties can be amazing. I can't understand why the rest of the world finds it more interesting.

Couple of notes about international football:
1. Get rid of penalty kicks as a tie breaker. Turn off the clock and let 'em go until someone scores.
2. The crowds need to grow the fuck up (not that they're that much better at American games but they are better).

Lopan

chcr said:
1. Get rid of penalty kicks as a tie breaker. Turn off the clock and let 'em go until someone scores.
2. The crowds need to grow the fuck up (not that they're that much better at American games but they are better).

1.Penalties have to be kept, the suspense at watching penalties can make a game. It can also make you sick, Damn you Germany and your teutonic accuracy.

2. Drunken male immaturity makes football, its not a game to take your family to. Hot dogs aren't passed out and no one sings about going to the ball park. genius.

You are right on everything else though.

ClaireBear

Banned
chcr said:
2. Football everywhere else: Two teams take the field and run for 45 minutes at a time. Two substitues per game. No time outs except for injuries. You get excited when they score because it's really hard to score. It never stops moving and the subtleties can be amazing. I can't understand why the rest of the world finds it more interesting.

Yes...CHCR! :D

A cultured man! (within the context of football too... a turn-up for the books there!)

Oh and the penalty kicks... we do have Golden Goal time now... but the one goal to win is within a time scale... about 15 minutes or so and then it goes to pena's but thats the beauty of the game!!!!

The feeling in your stomach as you team's player (often not strikers! Trained for shot taking) runs up to the penality spot and shoots... it goes sailing through the air... will the goally be quick enough? Will he sky it? Or will it hit the back of the onion bag (net) to the rapturous applause and shouts of the crowd?

You're on tenter hooks... and its great!!!!!

chcr

Too cute for words
Lopan said:
1.Penalties have to be kept, the suspense at watching penalties can make a game. It can also make you sick, Damn you Germany and your teutonic accuracy.
Well, that's the point. It's a team sport and breaking ties with penalties doesn't necessarily let the best team win. Just my opinion, but I know that a lot of folks share it.

Forgot one: How can you call it football if a maximum of three people ever touch the ball with their foot.

Lopan

chcr said:
Well, that's the point. It's a team sport and breaking ties with penalties doesn't necessarily let the best team win. Just my opinion, but I know that a lot of folks share it.
The team that holds its nerve wins, the best team doesn't always win thats part of the beauty.

Forgot one: How can you call it football if a maximum of three people ever touch the ball with their foot.

I don't understand that? Everyone touches the ball with their foot.

Lopan

chcr said:
In American football a maximum of three people...

Ahh I got you, Yes odd that. Maybe they couldn't think of an original name for the sport and with wank and toss already been taken.

infogr14.gif

Thats not a sports kit, thats robocop.

ClaireBear

Banned
Lopan said:
Ahh I got you, Yes odd that. Maybe they couldn't think of an original name for the sport and with wank and toss already been taken.

infogr14.gif

Thats not a sports kit, thats robocop.

Our lads playing rugby have what?

A gum shield and a jock strap...