soccer/football

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Lopan said:
No one likes your sports, get over it.

:rofl:

/me Wonders why they are breaking their backs to get in the US to play our sports. Also wonders why so many are trying so hard to make SOCCER popular here.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Lopan said:
I take it you guys know what a sceptic is? Or am I being daft because its early?

Must be early. It's a little used variation but it is an accepted one. Beats the hell out of adding useless "U"s to words.

Lopan

Gonz said:
:rofl:

/me Wonders why they are breaking their backs to get in the US to play our sports. Also wonders why so many are trying so hard to make SOCCER popular here.

Money, total world domination and kindess in that order.

Football will succeed, with hispanics as the growing community in the USA its only a matter of time.

Maybe Fifa will build a museum to those odd sports you used to play or even worse the Superbowl highlights will be shown on Transworld sport just before reindeer racing.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
football :headbang:

Nah, I'm probably the only mexican that doesn't watch football games, except for the world cup ones.

And baseball has to be the most boring game ever, along with cricket :p

Lopan

Luis G said:
football :headbang:

Nah, I'm probably the only mexican that doesn't watch football games, except for the world cup ones.

I agree I can't watch every match , just the good european ones, world cup, FA cup and some of the better domestic ones.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Luis G said:

I agree baseball would be boring to those who never played it or played it well. I was a fine baseball player in my youth, with even a smidgen of pro interest from a scout in my teens. I understand the strategy behind every pitch, defensive move, swing...all of it. Therefore, I find it anything but boring. To the casual baseball watcher, I can absolutely see how the game would be boring at times.

Cricket, I understand not at all. Not even close.

Nothing bores me like boxing.

ClaireBear

Banned
SouthernN'Proud said:
I agree baseball would be boring to those who never played it or played it well. I was a fine baseball player in my youth, with even a smidgen of pro interest from a scout in my teens. I understand the strategy behind every pitch, defensive move, swing...all of it. Therefore, I find it anything but boring. To the casual baseball watcher, I can absolutely see how the game would be boring at times.

Or laughable to any Brit woman who ever played Rounders in her teens!!!! :D

Its just male rounders SNP... but they're bigger hitters cos the balls bigger the bats are larger and the blokes are brawnier...

Lopan

I have played cricket since the age of 5 and i'm still finding out rules. Its a good game to watch in the summer whilst quaffing a few beers. You can leave and come back. A match lasts for 5 days with each session going on from 10:30am until 6pm. Weather and game permitting(overs etc)

chcr

Too cute for words
SouthernN'Proud said:
I agree, SnP. I was an excellent fielder myself but a poor hitter, thus no pro interest, but one of the most fascinating things about baseball for me is trying to guess what the next pitch will be from the count and where the infielders and outfielders are. You really have to pay attention, and that makes it a very interesting game. :D

Did I mention I love baseball? When I was a kid Phil Rizzuto would talk about where the infielders and outfielders were on radio broadcasts (no cable tv then). He understood.

ClaireBear

Banned
HomeLAN said:
Yep. The shading, the pitch selection, player switch timing, all of it has a certain beauty to it.

Yes... its complexity and high skill level is because is was devised from a game originally intended for women!!! :D :D :D

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
ClaireBear said:
Yes... its complexity and high skill level is because is was devised from a game originally intended for women!!! :D :D :D

And when it was proven they couldn't keep up, it was adapted.

Touche'.

greenfreak

None of these sports interest me, American or otherwise. :shrug:

Now, billards, that's something I enjoy playing but not really watching. And I must say, I used to be pretty damn good at it. But is it a sport if you don't break a sweat? There's lots of balls, is that good enough? :D

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
greenfreak said:
Now, billards, that's something I enjoy playing but not really watching. And I must say, I used to be pretty damn good at it.

Ohh yeah, I remember that talent ;)