soccer/football

Winky

[Buzzcut is keeping Beavis and Butt-head after school in the weight room]
Buzzcut: What makes you think you're a man?
Butt-head: Huh-huh, We've got testicles.
Buzzcut: You think that makes you a man? I'll show you a real man... kick me in the jimmys.
[Butt-head kicks him in the nuts, Buzzcut strains]
Buzzcut: Yyyyeessss. Kick me again, harder.
[Butt-head kicks him again, Buzzcut strains]
Buzzcut: Yyyyeessss.
Butt-head: Whoa, that was cool.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
chcr said:
Did I mention I love baseball? When I was a kid Phil Rizzuto would talk about where the infielders and outfielders were on radio broadcasts (no cable tv then). He understood.

Vin Scully is God.

Baseball is a great radio sport. with the proper announcer. It is not made for TV.

rrfield

SouthernN'Proud said:
What's to misunderstand? We have a game with a ball that you can't touch with your hands. Once every few hours it accidentally rolls somewhere it's supposed to, someone wins, fans get drunk(er), riots ensue, and someone from Brazil commits mayhem in protest. The announcer screams GOAL holding his breath until he resembles a smurf, and the remaining 99.7% of the globe never notices.

I mean, when the most publicized event in the game's recent history was some chick taking off her shirt because the ball rolled somewhere, that's a pretty sad commentary on the game as a whole I say.

Must just be me, but watching old people screw seems to have more action involved.

SouthernN'Proud said:
I agree baseball would be boring to those who never played it or played it well. I was a fine baseball player in my youth, with even a smidgen of pro interest from a scout in my teens. I understand the strategy behind every pitch, defensive move, swing...all of it. Therefore, I find it anything but boring. To the casual baseball watcher, I can absolutely see how the game would be boring at times.

So you go and blast a sport you never played...then defend a sport someone else blasts that they probably never played with a defense of "ya gotta play it to understand".

Typical American attitude. And we wonder why the world hates us.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
rrfield said:

No, that would be GW. SnP is the reason the world eats possum.

ClaireBear

Banned
rrfield said:
So you go and blast a sport you never played...then defend a sport someone else blasts that they probably never played with a defense of "ya gotta play it to understand".

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
rrfield said:

If having opinions, along with the balls to both state them and back them up, is what you are talking about, then I could not agree more.

And thanks for the compliment.

rrfield

SouthernN'Proud said:
If having opinions, along with the balls to both state them and back them up, is what you are talking about, then I could not agree more.

And thanks for the compliment.

"Soccer sucks because I never played it and all the players are foreign" is not a very compelling argument. But hey, to each their own.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
And I said that exactly where again?

Like baseball is chock full of Smiths and Jacksons these days...what does being foreign have to do with anything?

All I ask is, if you're gonna slam me, at the very least use what I actually say, not what you wish I had said to make your argument easier. Sounds simple enough.

Lopan

rrfield said:
"Soccer sucks because I never played it and all the players are foreign" is not a very compelling argument. But hey, to each their own.

In what league?

American players, that play in Europe:

Landon Donovan: Substitute, Beyern Leverkuesen

Yeah thats about it.

Don't worry about it, you guys will never be good at the worlds premier and richest sport. You just don't have the history or passion. Just keep on playing those minor sports, that way you can't get shown up. Can't have the worlds only superpower losing to Iceland.

I pray, USA gets put in Englands group in the next world cup. We are always seeded and you are in the also rans, so we will see.

Dave

20+ guys running around on an enormous field trying to kick a ball into a net the size of a house and 0-0 scores.
i've tried watching soccer. i really have. i just dont get it. i guess it doesnt help that there is nobody around that can explain the rules while i watch the game.

chcr

Too cute for words
Lopan said:
In what league?

American players, that play in Europe:

Landon Donovan: Substitute, Beyern Leverkuesen

Yeah thats about it.

Don't worry about it, you guys will never be good at the worlds premier and richest sport. You just don't have the history or passion. Just keep on playing those minor sports, that way you can't get shown up. Can't have the worlds only superpower losing to Iceland.

I pray, USA gets put in Englands group in the next world cup. We are always seeded and you are in the also rans, so we will see.

Used to be a few more...

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Spot said:
20+ guys running around on an enormous field trying to kick a ball into a net the size of a house and 0-0 scores.
i've tried watching soccer. i really have. i just dont get it. i guess it doesnt help that there is nobody around that can explain the rules while i watch the game.

Nor the euphoric fans surrounding you, I find it entertaining to watch with my buddies and some beers or bottles :D

btw, you need to pick a team, not just watch the games.

Winky

yeah you all better become rabid sucker fans
or some guy across the ocean is gonna taunt you

chcr

Too cute for words
[Really bad fake french accent] I fart in your general direction.[/Really bad fake french accent]

CTM

Lopan said:

Who cares about seed? it's how you finish.

on the fifa website, the four matches between the USA and England that were listed since 1930, were split. yes, the Greatest of football teams to ever grace the world went 2-2 against "also rans". also rans who are ranked 11th in the world at a sport that they apparantly don't like.

English history at soccer/football is greatly exagerated. the last 100 years has basically consisted of English snobbery with their great foresight of being the best in the world. when this awesomeness doesn't translate into onfield results, the fans beat people up, and the cycle repeats. Even Uraguay has more world cups then England.

Stop Laughing

I wish I had a pic of an NFL playbook, it looks like a war manual. Guess where American football is derived from...

George Carlin said:
In football, the object is for the quarterback, otherwise known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use the shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.

In baseball the object is to go home! And to be safe! "I hope I'll be safe at home!"

:D