Some people need a good beating.

Professur

Chinese couple tries to name baby '@'

BEIJING (AP) - A Chinese couple seeking a distinctive name for their child have settled on the e-mail 'at' symbol - annoying government officials grappling with an influx of unorthodox names.

The unidentified couple were cited Thursday by a government official as an example of citizens bringing bizarre names into the Chinese language.

Written Chinese does not use an alphabet but is comprised of characters, sometimes making it difficult to develop words for new or foreign objects and ideas.

However, the letters 'a' and 't' can be pronounced in a way that sounds like the phrase "love him," said Li Yuming, vice-director of the State Language Commission.

Li told a news conference that the father explained his choice by saying the whole world uses the symbol to write e-mails and that "translated into Chinese, it means 'love him,' "

Li did not say if police, who are the arbiters of names because they issue identity cards, have accepted or rejected the name.

As of last year, only 129 names accounted for 87 per cent of all surnames in China, Li said.

Source

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I think it's hilarious and if I knew someone named that I'd think it was super cool...but I still feel sorry for the kid, who's to say his generation would find it cool?? They may think him weird...it'd be like someone my age being named "Beatrice"...it was normal for a previous generation but not for mine...even if you think @ is a cool name now the kids in school may not.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
One of the first mentally ill persons I counselled was a young man born on the day Elvis died. His parents named him...you guessed it...Elvis Presley ________. No wonder the kid ended up half loony.

markjs

Banned
This might be an urban legend but knowing some of the black folks I've known over the years I am not altogether sure. In any case the story goes that there is this kindergarten teacher who has a new class on the first day of school. On his class attendance sheet he sees the name "Shithead". He assumes this must be a joke so he reads off all the names and all the children are present and accounted for except "Shithead" of course. He then asks the class if thereis anyone he missed. A little black girl raised her hand and he asks her what her name is, and she replies "My name is (spelling it phonecially so the story makes sense) Shith-eed".

markjs

Banned
I also know this inbred hick lady from around here (who is actually a really wonderful lady despite her lack of intelligence), who named her son Gerald, only because she is so ignorant, it's pronounced with a hard G.

Inkara1

I'd say not to name your kid something stupid like @ because kids seek out reasons to make fun of other kids and that is an excellent one.

unclehobart

I see no problem with it. Its a Chinese kid. The Chinese language is a pictographic one. The @ symbol is just another pictograph with certain merit in Chinese. The phonetic tonations of a- t- means 'love him' in Chinese. It seems fairly appropriate.

Professur

It might be ... if it were true. They're looking to give the little git an 'unusual' name. That's for their amusement, not his benefit.

Hey, Lou Chan, you want an unusual name? Try Billy-Bob. That's an unusual chinese name, ain't it?

TexasRaceLady

I had a wonderful young man in class who had a most unusual name ---- Bacardi ---yes, after the rum. I must say he handled it gracefully.

Professur

I have only one thing to say to parents who choose 'stupid' names for their kids. The kids are the ones who pick the retirement home ... and what goes on your tombstone. Unless you want something like "Type name here" on your stone, think twice about the name you give your kids.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Johnny Cash said:
My daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to ma and me
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze.
Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me "Sue."

Well, he must o' thought that is quite a joke
And it got a lot of laughs from a' lots of folk,
It seems I had to fight my whole life through.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

:nerd:

kuulani

On my first day of college, the lecturer read off the name "Michael Jackson" and of course every one laughed ... until a white kid raised his hand and said "here."

Poor guy.

markjs

Banned
In school there was this girl named Tulip Morrow, and of course she want by Tu which made her Tumorrow.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Harry William Baals (November 16, 1886 - May 9, 1954) was the Republican mayor of Fort Wayne from 1934-1947 and from 1951 until his death in 1954. He served more years as Mayor of Fort Wayne, Indiana than any other mayor.

help me