Sometimes life just plain old sucks

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I just found out from my mom that a lump on my dog's abdomen that we figured as a fatty lump (that was the vet's guess when she had her physical in June) and thus required no action has gotten so painful that she cries if you touch it and has problems finding a comfortable way to lie down. The vet was closed tonight before they realized she was in pain (when my brother tried to pick her up) so my mom is calling in the morning and depending when they can fit us in I'll take her in after work tomorrow or my mom and brother will take her on Friday...I'm scared that there may be nothing that can be done...the pain came on so suddenly, this morning it was fine. I'm really scared...mostly I'm scared that she won't understand if we have to put her down...I've never had someone close to me die suddenly...everyone close to me who has died was sick and had come to a state of acceptance about the possibility of their death...but she's a dog...what if she doesn't understand, what if she dies feeling unloved or neglected because I disappeared on her (and my dad disappeared on her 6 years ago when he died but she doesn't know what happened...she just knows he disappeared... :crying4:

browneyedMAC

*gasp*....oh southern....i know, i know. i just put my loverly doggie angel down on palm sunday. she was a beautiful dobe/rot mix. 12 years old. loving, sweet, and eager to please. i know how you feel. i mean, i really know how you feel. my thoughts and prayers go out to you. they're like our family, you know? love and warm wishes.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I missed your last post Les...it was cancer but the vet predicted that it wouldn't cause her any adverse affects for about 4 years (based on the stage it was in and such).

The reason I pulled up this thread though is because I just found out that my dog isn't eating anything...I don't know if it has anything to do with the cancer or not. I've known for awhile that she's been sleeping a lot more and eating a lot less but I was hoping she'd hang on until I got home for Christmas...when she has to go I want to be the one there holding her...well, now she won't even eat when my mom holds wet food up infront of her face...so, she'll be taking her to the vet tomorrow or Tuesday (she's gonna call tomorrow and see when she can get in)...it's gonna be a rough couple of days...I've feared this before but it feels different this time...it feels like the end :mope:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
JESUS FUCKING H CHRIST! I wish my mother wouldn't fucking scare me like that! She just called again and goes "I gave her some food again and she ate it all. She was throwing up all last night, maybe she just had an upset stomach, probably ate something she shouldn't have."

:yell:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I still don't have a new puppy, just can't do it. We got a house kitten, but no new dog, just Louie our German Police Dog. Maybe in the spring I'll be ready.

My mother got to digging in her pictures after the house fire and found one of me holding Elvis in my lap in her back yard though, and it's framed and sitting by the puter. I also got his collar placed in a shadow box.

I still miss that dog.

OldHippie

SnP....... Get a pup man, you won't regret it. You ain't going replace the old guy but I tell Ya it's the best medicine. When my Springer Bubba passed on we waited a month or so and went and got a Lab pup. She isn't near the dog Ole Bubba was but I wouldn't trade her for anything.

Professur

I still miss that dog.

As well you should. Any man who can lose their dog and not miss it forever isn't anyone I want to know. But the real question is ... would Elvis want you to mourn him, or celebrate the time you had?

As for getting a new dog ... Never, ever consider it a 'replacement'. It's a new dog, pointe finale. If you want to go with the same breed, I recommend getting one with a different colouring and don't name it after the old one. Give it it's own name.

I personally suggest a six month period between the old and new, if not overlapping. You don't want to get a new one while you're still pining for the old. As well, I suggest all new hardware for it. Yeah, I retire old dog bowls and leashes.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
OK, maybe not a false alarm...she's having trouble standing up and is throwing up everything she eats...vet appointment for tomorrow morning...I wish I was there :(

Professur

Just remember what's important ... he had a good home and was loved. no greater gift can a person give a dog ... and no other gift ever asked for.