Song remakes better than original?

tonksy

What remakes do you feel are better than the original?

I like Alien Ant Farm's Smooth Criminal better than Michael Jackson"s.

MrBishop

All along the watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (Original by Bob Dylon)

Knockin' on Heaven's door - GnRoses (Original by Dylan again)

American Woman - Lenny Kravitz (orignal by The Guess Who)

chcr

Too cute for words
Manfred Man's Blinded By The Light is better than Springsteen's.
Bite your tongue, it doesn't even make sense. What did a douche have to do with anything? ;) What about "The Mighty Quinn."

Re "Knockin' on Heavens Door," Clapton's cover was better than GNR's in my opinion (so was The Band's) but I was never a big GNR fan. Their rendition was pretty good though. I liked Clapton's version of "Cocaine" better than J.J. Cale's too. How about the Byrds' version of "Mr. Tambourine Man?" The Band's version of "I Shall be Released" (Rick Danko's falsetto always sent chills down my spine) is great. My two favorite Springsteen covers are "Fire" by the Pointer Sisters and "Because the Night" by Patti Smith (although Springsteen's live version is pretty good too).

Interesting Dylan side notes: Dylan first got noticed by doing Dave Van Ronk's version of "House of the Rising Sun" pretty much note for note. After Jimi's version of "All Along the Watchtower" came out Dylan started doing it that way too.

chcr

Too cute for words
If I thought you were serious I would :trout: you.

I am. It's supposed to be "Cut loose like a duece" which makes just a bit more sense. You know, I couldn't help but wonder if the adolescent put his hat back on his head when he was through. Eeewwww...

Blues Traveler's cover of "Secret Agent Man" kicks ass.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I am. It's supposed to be "Cut loose like a duece" which makes just a bit more sense. You know, I couldn't help but wonder if the adolescent put his hat back on his head when he was through. Eeewwww...

Blues Traveler's cover of "Secret Agent Man" kicks ass.

revved up like a deuce

Altron

I liked Smitty and Robin Thicke's "Died In Your Arms Tonight" better than the Cutting Crew original.

BlurOfSerenity

my friend played me The Cardigans' cover of Iron Man... it was really good! *hides*

i like rufus wainright's "hallelujah" a LOT... but avoid bono's cover like the plague.

Altron

I like Gym Class Heros' "Cupid's Chokehold" more than Supertramp's "Breakfast in America"

And Quietdrive does a better "Time After Time" than Cindy Lauper.