Soup

tonksy

I am experiencing some deja vu here as I thought there was a soup thread where we were discussing soup varities...:confused:
Anyway, I want to eat more soup and have been fiddling with a few different kinds but I am interested in ya'll's favorite soups.

Tonight (and last night) we are eating ground beef & veal soup with potatoes, cabbage, onion, and chard.

simplyred

Tomato soup! You can do so much with it. My favorite is with a little shredded cheese and fritos. I also like to add celery and black olives to it.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I eat the following soups:

Chicken and rice
Chili
Beef stew

I ain't big on soups. Probably why I'm big. Now could one of y'all pass me the red meat?

Sharky

Corn chowder, preferably with crab and/or shrimp

Butterbean soup with smoked hog jowl

Split pea soup with ham

I have a killer recipe for corn and shrimp chowder if anybody wants.

chcr

Too cute for words
I eat the following soups:

Chicken and rice
Chili
Beef stew

I ain't big on soups. Probably why I'm big. Now could one of y'all pass me the red meat?
Probably why you don't know:
1. Chili with or without (beans if you don't know) is not soup. It is, however, an art form (probably it's own food group too).
2. Stew is not soup.

I like broccoli and cheese (especially cheddar), tortilla, mexican meatball, potato, vegetable and tomato (with a grilled cheese sandwich, makes me feel six years old again). Plenty of others too, I'm a soup fan.

tonksy

I love french onion!

Chic - What's mexican meatball?

Sharkster - I love a nice corn chowder! I'd love to try your recipe but it would have to be when Rob will not be joining me :(
Can I have your butterbean recipe?

MrBishop

Chicken soup (ooh...exciting)
Red lentil and potato
Kale, potato & Garlic soup
Leak and potato soup
Vermicelli

I like soup, especially in the wintery months

BeardofPants

Trick with either of those soups is to make sure you sweat the onions/leeks for at least half an hour in an oil/butter mixture.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
New England Clam Chowder.
Thai hot and sour soup.
Cream of Broccoli

The soup my wife makes from scratch...I have no idea what its called, but its dayum good...

tonksy

[Badpun]Cool beans![/Badpun]

I am excited! We went to one of them big bookstores whilst Christmas shopping for Rob's folks and they had a clearance on cookbooks! I got a soup & stew cookbook for $3.99 and a nice Indian food cookbook for $7.99.
I plan on making these stuffed potato frittery things (kinda like a fried potato samosa) and curried sweet potato soup on friday! :licklips:

Sharky

As promised!

Corn Chowder

2 cups cubed, peeled potatoes

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup finely chopped celery

1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained

1 (8 oz.) can cream-style corn

1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 slices fried bacon, crumbled

Combine potatoes, onion, and celery in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover vegetables. Simmer for 20 minutes or until tender, drain. Return vegetables to saucepan.

Partially mash the potatoes with a fork. Add cream-style and whole kernel corn to potato mixture.

Bring mixture to a simmer. Add evaporated milk; mix well. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Add cayenne pepper and salt to mixture. Ladle chowder into soup bowls. Top with crumbled bacon.

You can serve this soup immediately, but for best results, prepare in advance (up to 24 hours) and refrigerate until needed. Reheat slowly before serving.